Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 5/21/2002 8:31:38 PM EST
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between Series 70 and 80 triggers on the 1911?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:22:02 AM EST
The series 80 has a firing pin safety. There's a pin that is moved out of the way of the firing pin when the trigger is pulled. The series 70 doesn't have this. If you dropped a series 70 with the hammer down on the firing pin so it hit the hammer (whcih is why you don't carry a .45 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber) the gun may go off. Really a training issue, but they added it.

It's another part that has to move when you pull the trigger, and many don't like the resultant trigger pull. I never noticed much of a difference, and I had no problems on my Stainless 80 I used to have.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:57:00 AM EST
Thanks for the info Ross.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:10:27 PM EST
Certainly not a dumb question.......if you are interested in learning about the mechanics of 1911`s.....search for some parts breakdowns and compare the differences.......there`s plenty to be found......one thing....the 70 series has a "half cock" safety......so the 80 was most likely a upgrade due to the "glock drop" issue.........some PD`s do not allow carry of a 45 anyway...political correctness issue......search out info...have fun with it......................
Top Top