Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 5:04:51 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I may have an opportunity to get a Colt Python at a really good deal (basically trade for about $200-$400 worth of labor). I know it's a no brainer but here's the question...

I never really paid much attention to Colt Python's until now so I just realized how much more expensive they are than say S&W. The question is why? Are they really that much better or is this another Colt=Pony=way over priced thing?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#1]
They are excellent guns, and I personally prefer them to most S&Ws but, truthfully, no way they are worth the extra money over and above a good S&W. I have owned probably a dozen Pythons if you wonder. I do not own one now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The Colt Python is, in my opinion, the classic example of a "sexy" wheelgun.  Not bling-bling, just well refined.  It is a true classic, YMMV.  If you can swap it for $400 in sweat, that is a good trade.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Pythons are just a classic example of propper fit and finish with a touch of perfect craftsmanship all rolled up in one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Mainly because Colt doesn't make them anymore.  They represent the days when Colt made a VERY high quality product and didn't skimp on hand fitting.  While they weren't custom guns, they are beautifully made and since they just haven't been made for a long time, the value of them is high.  

Ross
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
www.colt.com/CMCI/images/Python_Caption.jpg

The Python is still in production, abeit a high price. See here for the current production of Pythons:
www.colt.com/CMCI/Python.asp
I've heard that new production Pythons are in the $1,000 category.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
YOU MUST GET THIS GUN!

my dad was a ffl dealer back in the 80s and the quality on the pythons was superb.  i can remember picking up colt promo material with 10 shots from a pair of pythons fired in like .87 seconds that could be covered by your hand.  superb triggers.  usually.

i grew up figuring a 6" ss python would be my carry gun.  then i figured out i can't shoot revolvers worth a damn.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
$1175 to be exact in either 4" or 6"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wow! That's a lot of money!

sig_230: I'm just curious, do you happen to know what is/are the difference(s) between the old Pythons and the current production Python Elite? They at least look the same externally.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice gun, but I would have no room for it in my house (more like no desire, it probably would see a day at the range and then become a safe queen.)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sig_230: I'm just curious, do you happen to know what is/are the difference(s) between the old Pythons and the current production Python Elite? They at least look the same externally.

The difference used to be that all the Elites were hand crafted by the Colt Custom Shop.

You could tell the difference, BIG TIME, if you had the two side to side fingerin them.

Dunno anymore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys for all the input. Don't know if they deal will happen or not but if it does, I just wanted to know what I would be potentially getting.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference used to be that all the Elites were hand crafted by the Colt Custom Shop.

You could tell the difference, BIG TIME, if you had the two side to side fingerin them.

Dunno anymore.

I think the Python Elites are still probably hand made from the Colt Custom shop, which may explain the lofty price tag. I think IF the Pythons were a regular production line item, they would probably be around $750-$850 each, my guess anyways.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks guys for all the input. Don't know if they deal will happen or not but if it does, I just wanted to know what I would be potentially getting.

Thanks

What kind of gun is this? Blued? SS? The blued ones are fairly common, the brushed SS less so, and the top of the line is the polished SS, it looked like nickeled.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I love pythons, they're just so sexy!
My Pythons

-Tyler
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

What kind of gun is this? Blued? SS? The blued ones are fairly common, the brushed SS less so, and the top of the line is the polished SS, it looked like nickeled.

It's a polish SS model with a 4" barrel. The owner doesn't know much about guns but likes expensive stuff so it was probably bought based off of price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

It's a polish SS model with a 4" barrel. The owner doesn't know much about guns but likes expensive stuff so it was probably bought based off of price.

Oh man go for it! When I bought my NIB brushed SS Python back in 1985, I personally paid $570. The polished SS was $50 more because of the labor for the polishing. But then if you don't like light polished guns than its not for you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

If you decide to sell it, I am here for you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I just sold a 6" Stainless that was made in '89. I got $850 for it today at the Gun Show in Orlando. I saw many blue and stainless available from $900 - $1200. The $1200 had engraved Ivory Grips. There was one Elite that was there for $1275 FIRM. I told him that he would never see it!
I came back 20 minutes later and some FOOL had paid that for it. Go Figure.
I have 11 Pythons (remaining) and have sold and traded many of them. IF you can get that one for that price, DO IT NOW. Then sell if you do not like it.
I have a 4" Polished Stainless that I will let go for $900.00, so you are $500 to the better right now!
Enjoy the snake.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Smooth, accurate, best feeling revolvers I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Not to hijack the thread but I just got my 4" Anaconda.  I can't wait to shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread but I just got my 4" Anaconda.  I can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

Give an AAR when you're thru.

BTW: The Anacoda's action is based on the newer King Cobra rather than the Python because the King Cobra action requires a lot hand fitting.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yeah, you SUCK!!!

Sorry, a little bit of Anaconda envy
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#28]
The early Pythons were said to have hand fitted parts in the locking mechaism & trigger works.  They were smooth out of the box & pricey compared to a S&W.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you SUCK!!!

Sorry, a little bit of Anaconda envy

I still haven't shot it.  i hope it isn't like every other revolver I have ever shot, if it is I would be saffier thorwing it at them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#30]
My 6" blue with Hogue monogrip is the NICEST shooting handgun I have ever shot. The double-action trigger is smooth enough to shoot accurately at 100 yards, and single action is the same, just lighter and shorter.

Nick (get it!!)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#31]
The only Smith I ever had that might come close to the feel and accuracy of the Python was My 586 distinquished combat magnum!  I now have a Trooper MK111 that has some of the wanted carateristics thickness between clylinder walls  ,ect but still no Python!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top