Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:07:47 PM EDT
how do you guys like your XD'S? i have been debating on a taurus 24/7 or the xd. Im leanin towards the xd but want some input from people who own them. What do you think? thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:32:50 PM EDT
I've put well over 1k rds through my XD9 and I love it. If you're near Superior, you can shoot mine if you want.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:09:48 AM EDT
Love my XD-9 4in. bi-tone. I have put only about 500 rounds through it but that should increase come summer and warmer weather. (looks like this is a WI only thread )
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:07:57 AM EDT
Go XD
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 4:59:35 PM EDT by BloodyThumb]
I am a 1911 guy.. for YEARS... and will remain with the 1911 as my primary. I have tried Glocks, three of them to be exact. I just never could make myself like them. I hate the grip angle. The only things I liked were the reliability and reasonable cost.

I have shot several of the Taurus examples at matches and training. Never saw anything to make me want to try one... but that’s just me.

I have 2 PM9's and they have replaced my J frames, but I have not cared for the larger guns they make. The PM9 fills my needs for a pocket pistol perfectly after they are properly broken in, but in anything larger than the PM's I would rather have something else.

I tend to gravitate to the extremes. The SMALLEST combination of size/power/reliability or the biggest best shooting I can get. PM9 on one end and a 5" 1911 on the other. I don't have a lot of use for anything in between for carry.

However there are a few occasions when I want something reliable, relatively maintenance free, and relatively inexpensive. For those times like off roading / mudding / camping / hiking in bad weather. Times when the gun may wind up in a glove compartment or a pack, in the mud or rain.... times when I do not want to take one of my 1911s.

I had been using an OLD well worn SIG P220 for that, but wanted something with a higher capacity that I could leave the chamber empty when it is in my pack, etc... but still have a reasonable capacity after chambering the first round..

So.... I bought an XD 45acp almost a month ago. Almost 2000rd later... I like it. This one I will keep. It has been 100% reliable with everything I have run through it (quite a mixture), points right, and is reasonably accurate as is. The polymer and slide finish should make it relatively maintenance free, and it was cheap enough to boot.

To me, it is a Glock with all the problems fixed and some extras. As I said, it points right, it has a grip safety that works without having to think about it, and the loaded chamber and cocked indicators are a nice bonus.

It will not replace my 1911s, but it will make a perfect "Jeep gun" and may replace my old P220.

On those occasions when people ask me for a recommendation... and it HAS to be an auto... It will likely be the XD I will recommend.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:08:16 PM EDT
I like my XD9 5" well enough.

I love the ergonomics (only SIG handguns have beaten how the XD feels in my hand, and nothing else even comes close otherwise).

It is fairly accurate (probably very accurate, more accurate than I am, to be sure....but that doesn't mean a hell of a lot).

The trigger is not the best out of the box, rather mushy I thought. It did, however, loosen up after a few thousand rounds and probably a comparable amount of dry-firing. So the trigger definitely ages well. I hear it is better than the stock Glock trigger out of the box.

The sights are clear, well defined and easy to acquire.

The finish (at least on the older models, I've heard that the new ones have a better finish) leaves a LOT to be desired....not terribly durable and prone to rust.

I have had several FTE's with this gun. Two or three in the first couple hundred rounds, all Magtech ammo. After that it was trouble free for about 1200 rounds (with no cleaning other than keeping the slide free from rust), but last time I took it to the range I started getting FTE's every mag. I've since cleaned it a bit, but haven't taken it back out. I had heard the XD's were extremely reliable, but I was a little dissapointed. I was hoping for a good 4k before I got hiccups, let alone what I was getting last time.

Overall, the XD is a good gun for the money, but you definitely need to keep up with the cleaning.
Top Top