Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 10:15:10 AM EDT
Got a new Heinie rear sight for my G34, I got it about half way on and now it's stuck!!!  I don't want to force it any further and I don't want to force it off either. . .

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
How are you installing the sight, with a punch? The rear Glock dovetail is tapered narrower towards the middle, and is flared open slightly on the ends, so the sight will go in easy and then get more snug towards the center of the dovetail, this is normal. The Heinie sights do usually go on a little snug and they are best put on using a sight pusher specifically for a straight sided sight. Also, when installing the sight, you should apply a light coat of lubricant to help it slide in.

You have several options

1. If you are using a punch, lay the slide sideways on the side of a roll of duct tape. Using a brass or delrin punch, drift the sight out, apply oil and re-install. If you are using a sight pusher tool, make sure it is one that works with Heinie and Ghost ring (straight sided) sights. Sight pushers for the meprolight, Glock, and Trijicon sights wont work with the Heinies.

2. You could find a local (competent) gunsmith or Glock Armorer to install

3. send the slide to Heinie

4. Send it to me and I would be glad to do it for free  

Another thing worth mentioning. The Gock 35 and 34 sometimes require a special taller front sight. Once the sights are installed, pay particular attention to your POI. If it is shooting several inches high, you will need to get a special .250 tall front sight from Heinie.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll try your suggestions, but don't be suprised if I don't ask for your address!!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You did back out the setscrew, right? That would prevent it from going in.

I just installed Heinies on three Glocks. I strongly recommend the MGW Glock sight pusher from Brownells, about $50.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL, yes the set screw was out all the way. . .

If I have to do it again, a sight pusher I will be investing in . . .
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
plastic or wood drift punch. no problem, mine did the same thing. hung up right where the set screw is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm assuming you did get it in successfully.  If not, I'd be willing to do it free for ya also.  I just put Heinie's on my G34 with the MGW sight pusher.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I got them in (finally) and I really appreciate the offers of assistance.  SDForce, how do you like that sight pusher and how much would one cost?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The sight pusher is really nice.  I got it for $75 from Custom Glock Racing.  Brownell's carries it also, but it will cost more unless you have an account w/ the discount.  

I got it because after trying Heinie's, I won't have any other site on my Glocks.  The total installation time (taking off old site and putting on new one) was under 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info!!  I appreciate it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top