Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:13:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 9:22:00 AM EDT by PCR-00]
Ok, heres the deal, I traded my RIA 1911 a couple years back for a motorcycle. Fast forward to present day, I wanted it back. SO I bought it back from my buddy who hardly shot it since I traded it to him. I took it out shooting yesterday, and now I have quite the wound on the webbing of my hand between my thumb and forefinger where it looks like the hammer is falling all the way back and pinching between the (pardon my non 1911 knowledge) hammer and grip safety.

Now before I get jumped on for the following lemme answer:

No, I won't sell it and buy a "real" 1911, this one only cost me $200.
No, my hand isn't resting over the top of the beavertail.
No, there are no aftermarket parts on this pistol, except for the mag.
No, It did not do this before, and my buddy did not make any mods to it either.

I appreciate any advice here.

-Mac

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:18:57 AM EDT
Wilson makes a drop in grip saftey, but you would either have to grind the hammer down, or get a commander style hammer,
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:26:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By marc1979:
Wilson makes a drop in grip saftey, but you would either have to grind the hammer down, or get a commander style hammer,

I guess my question should also be.....Is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
This is the famous 1911 hammer bite.

It happens. One of two things will solve it..

A) change your grip so you're holding the frame higher up in your hand, or

B) Time to drop in a beavertail/bob the hammer/some combination thereof.

It happens to everyone, me included...I put in a nice beavertail and put a Commander hammer on, and the problem totally disappeared.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:28:40 AM EDT
i had a problem with hammer bite with mine, but i had a new beaver tail fitted to it and some other work done. but there are drop in parts also.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:34:09 AM EDT
well, sounds like the 50 or so pounds I've gained in the last year didn't all go to my gut . Didn't do this to me before, but well, I've gained a bit of weight since the last time I shot this.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:47:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PCR-00:
well, sounds like the 50 or so pounds I've gained in the last year didn't all go to my gut . Didn't do this to me before, but well, I've gained a bit of weight since the last time I shot this.

Thanks guys.

That would do it, too

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:43:52 AM EDT
The least invasive course would be to grind about 1/4" off the hammer spur. This should cure the hammer bite and it won't be necessary to fit a new hammer which can cause another whole set of problems.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:23:51 PM EDT
I just wear a bandaid when my RIA goes to the range with me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:11:31 PM EDT
Happens to the best of us once in a while..

I tend to be one of the guys that has beavertail grip saftey's on all of my 1911 shooters.

You going to take that Western Digital 40GB dinosaur out and use it for practice with your 1911?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:56:28 AM EDT
Perfectly normal (unfortunately).

I've got a small scar on the web of my right hand from hammer bite.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:44:55 PM EDT
It is perfectly normal. In fact, in my opinion, if you don't get it a little you're probably holding too low anyways. Of course there is no such thing as the absolute proper hold for every single shooter but the thumb on safety, high ride hold is very common and taugth by professionals and aids in this ailment. I get it and I've decided to just keep shooting. But I'm not real big so I don't get it as bad as some I suspect. I've debated about doing this and that but have stuck to just letting it happen for now. It doesn't bother me all that much anymore.
Top Top