Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 2:55:53 PM EDT
I just bought a new 629 Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum Mountain Gun.
Firing it, the ejector rod backs out, and if I even tighten the rod finger tight too tight it binds the spring, and the ejector rod doesnt have full movement when pushing it in as if to eject rounds,
Am I gonna have to send this sonofabitch back to S&W?   I have to pay the freight to send it don't I?
Its the weirdest thing I've seen, older guns you could just tighted the rod down and be done, but I can't figure out why it's causing this bind.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do have to send it back, at least a few years ago, S&W would arrange to pay for shipping, as long as you contact them before shipping it and arranged it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Tried Loc-tite?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tried Loc-tite?

I've considered that, would it void the warranty if I had to send it back?  
Thanks vanilla, you've helped me out before by responding to some of my innane questions
Should I have just bought a Ruger?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tried Loc-tite?

Thanks vanilla, you've helped me out before by responding to some of my innane questions

I don't think so. Don't get discouraged. I love my 629. The trigger beats the hell out of the Ruger. The only place the Ruger wins is with monster loads, which, if I remember correctly, you didn't plan on using.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tried Loc-tite?

I don't think so. Don't get discouraged. I love my 629. The trigger beats the hell out of the Ruger. The only place the Ruger wins is with monster loads, which, if I remember correctly, you didn't plan on using.

Nah no monster loads for this candy ass!  I was firing American Eagle 240 grn .44 Mag loads today through it, those were plenty hot enough for my purposes.  I'm kind of a brand snob I suppose, I looked at Rugers today that cost less, but for me if it's a 1911 or an AR it has to be Colt, if it's a revolver it has to be S&W, if it's an auto it has to be Sig or Glock.  I know that's a myopic viewpoint, but what the hell......
anyway, do you think a touch of loctite will solve the problem?
BTW, those 240 grn AE loads were damn accurate!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tried Loc-tite?

Nah no monster loads for this candy ass!  I was firing American Eagle 240 grn .44 Mag loads today through it, those were plenty hot enough for my purposes.  I'm kind of a brand snob I suppose, I looked at Rugers today that cost less, but for me if it's a 1911 or an AR it has to be Colt, if it's a revolver it has to be S&W, if it's an auto it has to be Sig or Glock.  I know that's a myopic viewpoint, but what the hell......
anyway, do you think a touch of loctite will solve the problem?
BTW, those 240 grn AE loads were damn accurate!

Loc-tite might solve your problem, but remember to use the one that isn't permanent. I don't remember which it is, I think it's red.

I checked the S&W manual, and I see nothing about Loc-tite vioding the warranty, but there is a number in there to call if you have doubts first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tried Loc-tite?

No, my Ruger Super Redhawk was having timing issues and it went back to them 3 times and it still wasn't right. I sold it
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If you bought the gun from a shop let them pay for the shipping
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know the specifics of the trigger, but I recall reading in an older Nosler Reloading Manual that the cylinder to barrel fit was better on a Ruger than a S&W, resulting in 100 fps more velocity out of the Ruger than the S&W with equal loads.  They also tried a Freedom Arms and it put out 100 fps more than the Ruger with the same load.  Don't remember the caliber, it was a .4-sumthin, .44 Rem Mag IIRC.

Anyway, I'm not anti-smith, I own two.  I'm just posting some semi-useful info.  OH, and S&W has a lifetime warranty to the original owner IIRC, send it back.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like it needs to go back.  It plain and simply shouldn’t be binding like that.

FWIW, when tightening (or loosening) the extractor rod always put two or three empties in the cylinder first to avoid putting a lot of pressure on a couple of alignment pins (though I think the extractor star been redesigned to make this less of a problem).  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replys guess I'll be calling S&W tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I took this gun to an armorer, and it seems the problem could have been my fault.  When the ejector rod backed out, I bent it slightly when I tightened it.  
A few whacks from the armorer on the rod after putting it in  this little gadget to test how straight it was, and its back to as good as new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top