Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 1:54:36 PM EDT
I've carried the same H&K USP Compact in .40S&W for the past 5 or 6 years as my duty weapon. I've never had a single problem with this weapon ever, no issues ever. I always shoot this gun every time I got to the range not counting quarterly qualifications. When we were issued these guns we were told the service life was around 16,000 rounds (I think that seems way to low, but that is what we were told).

I figure I have near 23,000 to 25,000 rounds through my gun. The last few times I've shot it I felt I was not shooting as good as I normally do. I was thinking it was me and not the gun. Last Tuesday was a Qual day and I shot about 8 points lower than usual. I once again just figured it was me. I did not clean my gun when I got home because I knew I was going to the range today.

Today at the range I wanted to really practice and get my groups back to being tight and bring my scores back up. Well, I noticed again today I just was not shooting the H&K very well. I shot my Glocks, XD, and Sig just fine. I just was not happy with how I shot the H&K.

When I got home and went to clean the H&K I noticed a ton of brass shavings all over the inside of the gun, they were around the barrel, all over the frame, just about everywhere. I mean there was a lot of brass shavings. I cleaned it completely and inspected it for damage but everything looks fine. I wish I had collected the brass at the range and inspected it. I never gather up the .40 brass because I don't reload it.

Do you think this is part of the problem causing me to shoot poorly lately? Think it is time to request a replacement gun?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious.. how often do ya clean it?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:11:47 AM EDT
[#2]
If you haven't seen shavings before, in that quantity, something has changed…

Take another trip to the range and swap guns with another 'good' shooter. At the same time, check your brass.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I usually clean my gun after each trip to the range.  I was jus lazy last Tuesday and knew I would be at the range on Saturday again.  I have never seen brass filings in my gun ever before.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged.  When's the last time you changed the mainspring group and buffer assembly?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, the total round count for the H&K USP.40 Compact was estimated at 23,945 rounds.  On of our firearms instructors shot my old pistol and he too could not get it to shoot good groups either.  It was sent off to our Firearms Unit for evaluation and I was issued a new USP Compact.  

When I qualified with the new pistol I shot 249 out of 250.  That was my average score prior to the last few trips to the range with the old pistol.  

I'm hoping we recieve a report back as to what the final evaluation is of my old pistol.  I guess I had just used its serviceable life.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top