Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 9:17:48 PM EDT
Should I be worried if there is a slight buldge from the bottom of the grip/butt carrying IWB between 3-4 o'clock?

Is this semi normal?  If not how in hell do people out there carry full sized 1911s and get absolutly NO printing?

I am carrying a Kahr MK9 (3" barrel) - nice small gun, but I can see the gun there somewhat in the mirror, though with the only two friends/family members that I have told and walked in public with, they say they only get a hint of a corner of the butt of the gun sometimes, but I think I can see it.

Please help me to understand so that I carry better.

Current IWB is an Uncle Mikes (stitched up along fram of the gun to make a pretty tight fit), just ordered a Milt Sparks VM-II (using a 1 1/4 inch belt).

Thanks,

ReaperVelle
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Concealing a full sized 1911 is no easy task. But you are on a good start by ordering from Milt Sparks. IMO, they make some of the finest IWB holsters made.
One thing I'd consider changing is the belt width. A 1.5" tapered to 1.25 in the front would give you a sturdier platform. The tapered to 1.25 in the front of the belt keeps it from screaming gun belt to those who are in the know. (cops)
I hope you are ordering a belt too, a Walmart belt will not handle the job. Gun belts are fairly thick compared to dress belts.
There are modifications to the 1911 which could enhance the ease of concealing. Most of the problem is the butt, that's what prints from an IWB.
Have you seen the Ed Brown modified frame and main spring housing? That Cobra carry package looks very interesting. Ultra thin grips? Single sided external thumb safety?
-Steve
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
RV,

There are several reasons those who carry the M1911 don't print.  First is body size and build.  Second is how loose/tight is the outer garment.  Thrid is body language, ie how to pickup something off the ground/off the shelf done to prevent printing.

Concur with a good gun belt.  I bought my Bruce Nelson belt 1.5 tapered to 1.25 15 years ago for my first Summer Special.  Even thou I change guns/holsters, the belt is still strong all these years.  Another trick with IWB is to buy your pants one size larger to be more comfortable.  

If you find the full size 1911 too big, then look at the shorter Officers frame with either a 3,3.5, or 4" bbl.  The edge of the hoslter should be just behind the hip.  Do you have a straight vertical holster or maybe try one with a forward cant (bringing butt of gun in toward your center).

Back to your first question if you should be worried would depend alot on the state regs on CCW where you live.  Some are very addament on this, some aren't.

If you are still printing on strong side hip then maybe you might to want to think about carrying elsewhere on the body.

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I know I keep harping on the smartcarry (see http://www.smartcarry.com) holster, but it is one of the very best for carrying and NOT printing that I have found. I also carry a full size 1911 Kimber Classic Royal in a Milt Sparks Summer Special.If the Kimber CR is carried slightly behind the right hip, it doesn't print , but off the side or slightly in front of the right hip and it can print, depending on how tight the clothes are. I concur that a good gun belt is a wise and necessary investment. Anything else is awkward, uncomfortable, and breaks down over time. Mine is a 1 1/2 inch belt. I also like, and use, the Uncle Mike's pocket holster with the Taurus PT-111, 9mm. Worn with a pair of pants with deep pockets and one size above what I would normally wear, and the gun is totally undetectable and readily available.
RugerCal480 (Mike)
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested too since I will be getting my CHL soon but guys. He was only using the 1911 as an example. But guys:
RV is using a Kahr Mk9, NOT a 1911.

Just trying to help him get the help he needs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
smartcarry, Milt Sparks, and Unkle Mike's pocket holster can be used with the Kahr as well...with smart carry and with Milt Sparks Summer Special  you send the gun model you will be using the holster with and they send the correct size for you...no guessing. With the pocket holster, you can have any salesperson at a gunshop that carries them help fit it to your gun. The best way is take the gun with you to fit it. My Kimber Ultra Carry II and the PT-111 are both 3.15 inch barrels, the first is a single mag type, 7 rounds & the latter is a double mag, 10 rounder.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone (Rider thanks) - The MK9 is great btw...

I found out why I was printing, and Ruger before your post I had experimented (otherwise that was dead on the money) with placement on/around the hip (I am a bigger guy) - and it disappeared when it was right before 4 o'clock (and its comfortable) - I had been wearing right after 3 o'clock which had been printing alot (Butt had only).

The Uncle Mikes IWB still shifts around alot, but once the VM-II comes in it will be great (also has a built in forward cant to it).  With the printing now more or less nonexistant this will be great for when I can wear (work doesnt allow it - so after work and weekends).

Anyone use the Paddles - do you like them?  Do they tend to print more than IWB?

Thanks again,

ReaperVelle
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Paddles print.  Uncle Mikes are better than they were, but are still at the bottom of the food chain.

For a good bang-for-the-buck, go with a FIST Adjustable IWB.  FIST #20
I used one when I was carrying a SIG P239 9mm.  You can adjust the cant to fit your body type.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, yeah:  Get a good belt, too.  Regular belts will let the weapon sag out, causing the butt to print.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#9]
THanks for the info on FIST, had not heard of them before, but look like a nice Adjustable holster with two straps, which in my eyes is ideal.

If I hadnt already ordered the VM-II I would have ended up getting the Fist I believe.

For the belt, I found the best/stiffest one I could and currently have that one - reason for now is that I am loosing weight and dont want to spend $90 on a belt that I will not be able to wear in a few months...... But will end up with a real Belt once I get around where I want to be.

Thanks everyone for the great info.

ReaperVelle
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The weapon is probably most conspicuous to you because you know it’s there.  Most people won’t notice a thing.  Besides, there’s too many folks that wear pagers and cell phones on their belts today.  If they noticed something, most folks would rank “gun” pretty far down on the list of things it could be.  Shirts with prints on them break up the outline better too.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The weapon is probably most conspicuous to you because you know it’s there.  Most people won’t notice a thing.  Besides, there’s too many folks that wear pagers and cell phones on their belts today.  If they noticed something, most folks would rank “gun” pretty far down on the list of things it could be.  Shirts with prints on them break up the outline better too.

Hoppy

That is pretty much what I was going to say. Don't think you would need to worry much about a slight bulge. Most people wouldn't notice a gun if you were wearing it IWB in lycra bike shorts and a wet white t-shirt 2 sizes too small.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
....hmmm...I know some ladies that should model that outfit....yea yea  :)

I am alot more comfortable with it, really wish I could have it on all the time, but wanting to keep my job and all.....

Thanks everyone

ReaperVelle
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Look at it this way. Before you started carrying concealed, how many people did you look at to see if they were carrying? I would bet you didn't even think about it. So use the same principle today. Most people aren't wondering if the guy in front of them in line or anywhere else is packin a heater. Just relax, carry with confidence, and try not to do a lot of adjusting. Besides, with most everyone carrying cell phones now and leathermans, etc, it's probably more acceptable to see a "print" than ever before.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top