Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2010 2:02:12 PM EDT
It was colt for a while, then today it became freakishly warm (60*).  Reminds me that I need to look for a good IWB setup for my 1911s (a 5", and a 4.25") for when the weather gets that warm and warmer this summer.  I'm asking now, so that I can save up for it, while also tweaking a few aspects on the 4.25" to my liking.

I already have a good OWB holster for the 5", and while I can sometimes get away with it in warmer weather, such is not always guaranteed––which is why I bought the 4.25", and am asking this question .  

Semi-related.....I've been toying with bobtailing the 4.25" for use in conjunction with a good IWB setup.  Would it be overkill, a good idea, or just unnecessary (depending on the holster)?  <FWIW, I'm a 6" skinny white dude, limiting the options of "what I can get away with" in the sweltering months>

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I carried a full size in a crossbreed supertuck with no issues
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Why past tense?

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why past tense?

Life issue not set up related.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for the Crossbreed Supertuck.  Tried a few others, which were all fine holsters, but this one was the most comfortable to wear for any extended period.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
+2 for the crossbreed supertuck.....Glock 19 and crossbreed awesome setup, very comfortable, you'll almost forget you have it on....
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1 on Crossbreed

crossbreedholsters.com
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Been completely satisfied with my commander-length 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM-II during warmer months.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought a Kholster during the $35 Black Friday sale.

I'm very satisfied with it.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
check brownells

they often have the MILT SPARKS SUMMER SPECIAL II in stock.

this and a SOLID belt, is all you need.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]
got a VMII for my 4" and would carry that over a 5" if I was going IWB, but have a 4.25" and 5" VMII on the way.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thumbs-up for the Crossbreed IWB.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the Milt Sparks, both the Versa Max 2 and the Summer Special 2. I have and use both (I have 5 Versa Max 2's for various 1911's and one for a G19). These are my number one choice. I do have the Crossbreed. Wouldn't touch it without the "combat cut" (can't obtain a full firing combat grip while holstered without that, which means altering the grip during/after drawing, an extra step no holster should require). With the cut, the 'Breed loses some of it's comfort factor, but it's still okay. I still prefer the MS.

Another decent option that can be gotten quickly is the Silent Thunder from Tucker Gunleather. It's a leather lined Kydex rig, comfortable and a nice draw stroke. Drawback of the IWB model to me is that it shifts position a bit when sitting etc. (rotates on the attachment point), but this is really a minor point and easily compensated for. Still, VM2 is my main choice, and an in stock Summer Special 2 from Brownelles is a great "I need it NOW" solution.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been using Kramer for 5" and 4.25" 1911s for more than a decade and am very satisfied.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Have a couple of crossbreeds, decided I didn't like them after I used them for a while.  I went with an Occidental Leather Stronghold holster which is what I carry with now.  I think it's much more comfortable than the crossbreed.  It's aesthetically a beatiful piece of leather too.

I use a TT Gunleather double IWB mag holder with that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Nick Mathews IWB.  Very comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Using a Milt Sparks VM II and at times a wilson combat featherweight.  Both comfortable, I haven't decided which I like best yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
While I am a fan of BladeTech, I would not recommend their IWB holster for an ideal EDC. It's what I use but it is not the most comfortable. It's just because all the guns weight is supported by maybe two inches between both straps, so it really drags that point of the belt down. And my leather belt is really starting to wear out, I need to get one of those instructor's belts.
My BladeTech for my Glock 19 is amazing, but I would not recommend the IWB for a full size 1911. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 2:56:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
check brownells

Vrersa Max II.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.hoffners.com/hyb.htm

this is what i use
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

While I am a fan of BladeTech, I would not recommend their IWB holster for an ideal EDC. It's what I use but it is not the most comfortable. It's just because all the guns weight is supported by maybe two inches between both straps, so it really drags that point of the belt down. And my leather belt is really starting to wear out, I need to get one of those instructor's belts.

My BladeTech for my Glock 19 is amazing, but I would not recommend the IWB for a full size 1911. YMMV

My DeSantis Scorpion solved that belt problem for me. Buy your pants an inch or so larger, if you want to carry a 5" IWB. Using that same holster, I found that I can carry my 3" without needing to buy larger.  All I've been using is a Filson double layer leather belt.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry to resurrect an otherwise-dead thread.....but from looking at the SuperTucks, they look not too dissimilar from my old roommate's Comp-Tac MTac––which seemed to be a pretty decent piece of work (though with some slightly different clips than the Crossbreed).

Any comparisons between the two?

Also, at the fun shop today, looked at a Galco Concealable––whose belt/snap locations seemed to be similar to the Summer Special II (though it didn't have the sweat band shield thing); it seemed extremely fat and stiff, seemed to hold the gun way the hell up high, and like it didn't disperse enough the forces required to anchor the holster while drawing.  Would the MS units be better for it, or should I just look to get a unit with farther-spaced loops?
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#22]
A lot of folks I know like the Sparks VMII but I prefer the original Summer Special. I've not had enough trigger time on a bobtail to offer an opinion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
+1 for the Crossbreed Supertuck.  Tried a few others, which were all fine holsters, but this one was the most comfortable to wear for any extended period.

Yep, that about sums it up perfect
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that about sums it up perfect

This
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#25]
For leather, I like the Sparks Summer Special II.   I also have an Alessi that I use from time to time, and a Hazel Leather that I couldn't recommend.

For Kydex, I make my own, and I'm currently using the design below (albeit with a S&W M&P) to good effect.

When I feel like strapping on a doublestack 2011, I'm using a basic Kydex clone of a Summer Special.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A lot of folks I know like the Sparks VMII but I prefer the original Summer Special...

What is it about the Summer Special that you prefer over the VM II ?

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#27]
It rides higher and is more compact on the belt.

Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of folks I know like the Sparks VMII but I prefer the original Summer Special...

What is it about the Summer Special that you prefer over the VM II ?

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been running my VM2 year round, it's fantastic.  I guess I need to try a summer special, but I haven't found a reason to dislike my VM2 yet.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
check brownells

this is what i have.  although i do not have experience with anything else i like it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#30]
My CBST when new(er):

Perfect for me. It's much more worn in now, combat cut, excess leaher trimmed and so on.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#31]
IWB begins and ends with the sparks vm2.  I wasted a lot of money on holsters before I figured that out.  Nothing else compares.  Raven would be my top pick for OWB though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top