Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:40:28 PM EDT
I was curious about anyone's experience in applying Gun Kote, DuraCoat, or Alumahyde. Which ones offer the best durability, and which are easiest to apply.

How well do they wear? I have a LE turn in that has a lot of holster wear and a loose front night sight. I thought it might be nice to try my hand at a custom finish before I replace the night sights.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:45:42 AM EDT
Have you considered sending it to Glock to be refinished with Tenifer?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:22:44 AM EDT
The factory Glock black finish on my G17 slide is worn at one spot, which I think comes from the prev owner open carrying and rubbing or hitting the 1 part of the slide constantly.

It's not as strong as people think and I've seen Glocks rust.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:18:21 AM EDT
Posted by ExGrunt Member

Tenifer is a metal treatment, not a finish.

From Answers.com:
"Tenifer is the end result of a chemical bath nitriding process that embeds nitrogen into an iron containing alloy to create a corrosion resistant finish that is a dull grey in color and extremely hard.

Glock, an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilizes this process to protect the slides of the pistols they manufacture. The Tenifer finish on a Glock is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 millimeters thick and produces a patented 69 Rockwell Cone hardness rating via a 500 degree C nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off."

However, if you send Glock the slide, they will refinish it. I think it costs around $45.00. If you want to do this, just go ahead and send the whole gun, and they will replace any worn parts and perform any required upgrades.

www.ccr-refinishing.com/sample.htm
Also does great work, it takes about a month.

Tim

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:27:56 AM EDT
Correct, the Black on the Glock slide is an process like Parkerizing. Tenifer doesn't have a color
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:49:24 PM EDT
leave the wear, it shows character. My buddy's EDC G19 has a good portion of the finish worn off and it looks awesome.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:07:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim3256:
Posted by ExGrunt Member

Tenifer is a metal treatment, not a finish.

From Answers.com:
"Tenifer is the end result of a chemical bath nitriding process that embeds nitrogen into an iron containing alloy to create a corrosion resistant finish that is a dull grey in color and extremely hard.

Oh brother...lighten up Francis!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:47:31 PM EDT
I understand about the Parkerized over Tenifer process on the Glocks. I was mostly interested in doing this to help increase my own refinishing skills. But, I figured if I was going to apply a finish it ought to hold up nicely. Otherwise I'd just Krylon the thing.
Also by refinishing I get to personalize the weapon a bit so it doesn't look like all the other kid's Glocks at the range.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:45:27 PM EDT
I took A G17 Gen 1 on trade I had a colt 1911 enhanced model tricked out and did not even want a POS Glock in the same safe with it. The Glock had most of the finish worn off the slide, and I figured what the hell I will Duracote it O.D. green, then Glock came out with O.D. green. Well then I will go Camo also in Duracote I like the way it turned out IMHO.
Oh and the much prized Colt 1911 sold it (after shooting the Glock I never want to shoot another 1911) so I got a G21 latest investment is a G17L.
The Duracote has been very durable no signs of ware or color change from oils or solvents in 8 months and 1100-1200 rounds. It’s easy to apply just make sure it’s clean and spray. I bead blasted all painted parts the second time around prior to painting.
I also did not shoot or clean it for two weeks after I painted it. (Just turned out that way)
They say it needs to cure for a couple of weeks!

Top Top