Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 8:02:21 PM EDT
Ive now built my share of AR's, free floated, and glass beded some barrels, lapped a few actions, and I even mounted a few scopes....however I want to get into the 1911 world, not to turn this into a Glock 1911 argument, I love the glock but I want my own 1911. Ive took a few down to the bare, and put them back together, but now I want my own build...I need proven parts list everything you need and who from, to build a low priced, Kimber quality 1911 goverment length pistol. who where, a when is it on sale, pics info and prices of your poor mans 1911 builds, would be highly appreciated... do the world some good you might just convert a Glock fan when its all snapped together
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just go get a Springfield Mil-Spec and go from their. My G.I. is as reliable as anything or go buy a Kimber it will be just as cheap pricewise as building one or probably cheaper. Just my two cents. Unless you just want the experiance of building one which would be a blast.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would just go get a Springfield Mil-Spec and go from their. My G.I. is as reliable as anything or go buy a Kimber it will be just as cheap pricewise as building one or probably cheaper. Just my two cents. Unless you just want the experiance of building one which would be a blast.  

+1

at first i thought that building a 1911 was like building a AR--parts will fit in easily all around

turns out that 1911s take a little more tooling and fitting to get em to go together nicely

too much trouble and time for me right now (no to mention i dont have the extra $$$s for the tools)

so i went and got me a SA loaded from the EE
and a Kimber TLE

both are GREAT 1911s for the price i got em for--well worth it

if it were a stock 1911, the SA mil-spec would have been my first choice for ~$430 around here
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Your goals while lofty are unobtainable grasshopper.

Building a quality 1911 is much more expensive than buying one.

I agree.. The money I spend building mine could have bought a NICE Kimber, but the experience  made it worth it to me.. Before building it I had never seen the inside of a 1911..
Now I know everything about how the parts work and fit together.. and now I have a nice and very accurate gun that I built myself

If you start with a 1911 and build off it you might get out a bit cheaper as mine was built from scratch from an 80% but I am not sure how much cheaper.

Would I do it again... I doubt it
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you looking to build a gun from scratch, frame - up? Or buying a gun and building off of it? As mentioned earlier, a Springfield GI isnt a bad choice if you wanted a gun to just build off of. Thats what I am doing. I know it will cost more in the long run, but I dont have to put all of the money down at once. Besides, when I do work on the gun or have something done to it  it will be done the way I want it done.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Mucho fitting MAY be required to  build a 1911.

My recommendation would be to buy a baseline 1911 such as a SA Mil-Spec or GI model to learn the ins and outs.  You can then start swapping/fitting quality parts to build it up as you wish.  The Kuhnhausen manuals are a must-buy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Springfield's have the advantage that they're the more desirable series 70 configuration without undesirable firing pin safeties or external extractors.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Kuhnhausen manuals, visit Roderus and Blindhogg, get yourself about $700.00 and some free time and build it.
It's not the cheapest way, nor the easiest way, but you'll do fine and be proud of the gun when you're done.
First build:

Did everything myself, even the parkerizing.
It's a great experience.
BTW, I got everything for the build here:
1911 Schematic
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the cheapest poor mans 1911
it is made in the Phillipines by a company called Armscor.
Marketed under the brand name Rock Island Armory.
in .45 and .38 super.
bought mine on an auction website for $290 brand new in the box.
Novak magazines fit it perfectly.
I have put 3,000 rounds through it and have to admit it is the funnest 1911 I have ever shot.
It is virtually identical to the Colt model 70.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The SA Milspec has been a great pistol for me very good Value. Only thing it needed was an adjustable rear sight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Neither Kimber or SA builds a pistol with the features i want.  so buying either, its just a base gun and parts will be removed or replaced to get the features i want. with that it mind, its almost always ccheaper to start with the most basic Springfield.

If Kimber would just make a series 1 with internal extractor, beavertail grip, arched MSH, slotted commander hammer and No ambi safty or FLGR I would buy one.

As is, if i buy a S.A. i end up replacing the extractor, MSH, grip safty and hammer.

If i were to buy a series one kimber I would likely have to replace the MSH & FLGR, plus whatever MIM parts break during break in.

I wont buy a series II kimber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top