Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2010 7:45:54 AM EDT
I just got my first polymer frame handgun and wanted to know if there any solvants or oils that will hurt it, Can you clean it with Hoppe's? The manual say's clean with oil, So please educate me on this as I'm old school and only have metal frames.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean with CLP or something similar. The polymer itself dosn't really need to be cleaned, just wiped clear of any dirt/dust/crud. Make sure the innerds (trigger group, sear, and surrounding areas) are wiped cean and lightly coated with oil. Clean the barrel as you would any other barrel. The slide should be wiped clean or lightly scrubbed with a nylon brush and oil should be applied to the rails and any other surface that rubs against metal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
What brand and model is the gun? Polymer used in guns is so tough and resistant that I don't think there is anything on the market to clean guns that can harm the polymer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What brand and model is the gun? Polymer used in guns is so tough and resistant that I don't think there is anything on the market to clean guns that can harm the polymer.

Bretta PX4, I just called the mfg of hoppe's and they said it was safe

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep water melts um
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If you use to much oil you, will loose your airport metal detector invisibility.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
wd 40 is a good pressure spray to use on the frame to spray it out and then shake it dry and wipe with a cloth. I use odorless  mineral spirits to dunk the frames in to clean and then shine back up with a little oil, but wd is always a good cleaner on the frames. I dont use barrel cleaners on frames.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top