Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 12:56:33 PM EDT
I have heard this term used with Glocks and I think HK's (not sure).  What is it, and what does it do?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]

What is polygonal rifling and how do I know if I have it?

Polygonal rifling differs from conventional rifling in that instead of lands and grooves, the shape of the interior of the barrel resembles that of a polygon. The advantages of polygonal rifling are that it gives a better gas seal with less bullet deformation resulting in slightly higher muzzle velocity, slightly better accuracy, easier cleaning characteristics, and a prolonged barrel life.

It's easy to tell if you have a polygonally rifled barrel. Safely field strip your weapon and remove the barrel from the slide. Look through the breach and look at the resulting shape of the interior of the barrel. If it looks like a hexagon, then you've got it.

So that's it in a nutshell. Few companies can do it.

A link decribing the different riflings www.firearmsid.com/A_bulletIDrifling.htm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top