Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 10:36:25 AM EDT
Looking at getting a drop leg holster, but the choices are a many.  I like the Specter Gear holster, but then I see folks on this board push the Safariland 6004 holsters.  So what does the Safariland offer over the condura holster as far as the field is concerned?  Is there a mechanism to break/go bad in the field on the Safariland?  Include the new Blackhawk Serpa rig in that assessment too.  Could mud or dirt affect operation?  Splain it to me please.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the 6004 holster for ease of re-holstering the weapon.  I have used a cloth type holster during tactical entries and have had issues with the holster collapsing because of the design of the leg strap.  This can make re-holstering a weapon nearly impossible with one hand.  If holstering your weapon is not a pressing concern, perhaps the fabric model holsters are adequate, but in my case I need to be able to rapidly holster my weapon to possibly go hands on with a suspect.  

Another advantage to the 6004 is since the retention strap is a rotating hood, there is no strap to have to snap.  

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The Serpa holster can very easily become clogged with debris, negating the locking feature.  For field use, I prefer the 6004, but a UM84 Bianchi works well also if you don't mind flaps.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a TT modular holster. (Cloth)

It has a heavy material built into it, so that it maintains it's shape when the pistol is not in the holster.  The backstrap is a thick plastic piece, so it also stays out of the way.  Reholstering it one handed is not a problem at all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I see where Blackhawk puts "plastic inserts" into their holsters.  What are these for?  Also, can someone answer the Safariland in mud/dirt comment?  I do like the Safariland for the reasons mentioned above, but I would like to get some real world info about usage in harsh terrain/conditions.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
There are only two worth considering, in my experience.  The Safariland 6004, and if you don't mind spending the money, the G-Code.  Nylon holsters offer NO retention.  Been there, seen that.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There are only two worth considering, in my experience.  The Safariland 6004, and if you don't mind spending the money, the G-Code.  Nylon holsters offer NO retention.  Been there, seen that.  

I have a G-Code for my XD-40/45ACP and saw the REAC for it.  But the only holster they made that offered a better level of retention was the SOC which they scuddled.  I like the Safariland and HSLD combo - looks really promising but mighty expensive.

How do the mag pouches attach to the Safariland?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out the High Speed Gear UDHP.  It allows for the attachment of a 6004 or 6280 holster in the HSGI drop leg platform.  Its comfortable to wear, rides well and has several attachment points for malice clips.  

I got a good price on my 6280 from www.swatgear.com and got the UDHP at a gun show for much less than HSGI sells them for directly from a place called the Malabar Front.  

So far its working great for me, I'll snag some pics at some point if anyone is interested.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top