Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/19/2006 2:44:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 6:48:39 PM EDT by panzersergeant]
After reading many positive reviews about Norinco 1911s over the last year I resolved to get
one if I ever came across one. Well, I finally found one.

I picked this one up at a gunshow yesterday for $300. Today I took it to the range for a shakedown. Shoots
and cycles smoothly and is accurate. The only negative thing I found is the beaver tail seems loose and
rattles a little bit. Other than that, it shoots fine.

The previous owner replaced the plastic grips with a Hogue wrap-around which fits my hand comfortably.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:52:39 PM EDT
Good find...Those are great guns to base a custom build off of, if you choose.

I remember when they were $225, new.

I had one and regret ever selling it...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:10:25 AM EDT
nice find congrats on the new pistol
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:00:29 AM EDT
I've got a Norinco over at Tripp Research now getting massaged into a retro-no-frills-carry-combat-spare-gun.

Once he's got it worked over, I'll get it re-Parkerized and post some pictures here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:27:39 PM EDT
Heck, it's been years since I've seen Norcs go for even $300 around here. I guess all the bottom feeders around here drove the price up (it's not like many folks around here know they're a sleeper.)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:09:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Heck, it's been years since I've seen Norcs go for even $300 around here. I guess all the bottom feeders around here drove the price up (it's not like many folks around here know they're a sleeper.)

Proud member of the SCNBFA*, Local Chapter No. 1911.

*South Carolina Norinco Bottom Feeders Association.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:16:27 AM EDT
Are the parts on the Norinco mil-spec? I've been thinking about picking up a basic 1911. The Norinco looks like it would fit the bill. Also been considering Rock Island Armory too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:20:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:
Are the parts on the Norinco mil-spec? I've been thinking about picking up a basic 1911. The Norinco looks like it would fit the bill. Also been considering Rock Island Armory too.

The Norinco is better than an RIA. Much closer to milspec than RIA
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:33:23 AM EDT

Norinco guns are forged. RIA stuff is cast. And there are a number of 'smiths around the country who will work on Norinco 1911's. That's not the case with RIA stuff. In fact, Wilson Combat will work on a Norinco. Or they used to at least.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:31:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By panzersergeant:

Proud member of the SCNBFA*, Local Chapter No. 1911.

*South Carolina Norinco Bottom Feeders Association.

Why couldn't Rock Island come along several years back and occupy y'all, and leave some 'Rincos for the rest of us? The goobers around here wouldn't know the difference, they're just like, "yo yo dawg, fo-ty fi' fo tree hunnerd, gots to get me dat".

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:23:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Norinco guns are forged. RIA stuff is cast. And there are a number of 'smiths around the country who will work on Norinco 1911's. That's not the case with RIA stuff. In fact, Wilson Combat will work on a Norinco. Or they used to at least.

Ideally you will find a 1911 that doesn't need a smith.
What are you guys doing to your 1911's that requires custom smithing? Frontstrap checkering, tuning, mag funnels? I don't get it. If a gun works why frick with it?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:29:28 AM EDT

Just speculating, but I believe the price of Norincos may be driven upwards by two things: first, all the good reviews they get, and second, the aura of owning a gun banned from import by Clinton.

Personally, this is the first one I've seen for sale (at a gunshow or gun store) since I started looking for one about a year ago, and I go to every gun show around here (about 6 a year) and hit the local stores and pawn shops about three times a month. Around here they just aren't that easy to find.

I wasn't disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:00:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drobs:

Ideally you will find a 1911 that doesn't need a smith.
What are you guys doing to your 1911's that requires custom smithing? Frontstrap checkering, tuning, mag funnels? I don't get it. If a gun works why frick with it?

I'm having one of mine turned into an "old school" blaster. It's getting better sights, an action job, some dehorning and refinished. I should have it back early next week. Pictures will be up as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:02:21 PM EDT
A norinco 1911 is what prompted me to buy my first 1911. A buddy had gotten one for a deal thru a coworked and we were at the range one day nad i was trying to hit a plate @ 25 yards with my USP .45 and could just not seem to hit, he told me to try his norinco amd i nialed that plate every time. Got back home and sold the USP and picked up my first 1911 a week later Would love to find around here to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:11:36 PM EDT
$225 would be an awesome price even for just a quality frame complete with parts for a .22lr conversion top end.

I second that sentiment- I wish someone else was providing a quality 1911 in that price range.

Around here a Norinco will fetch $350+
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:31:52 PM EDT
These are a better deal than the Rock Islands and compare pretty well to the Springfield GI guns.

Here's one of mine (before and after). The tuning was done by Virgil Tripp and the parkerizing was done by my father. I have some VZ grips on the way!

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:22:29 PM EDT
Whenever you want your money back out of it... hollah at me!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:08:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GlockandRoll:
Whenever you want your money back out of it... hollah at me!

I'll probably sell it in a couple months. That's usually the way I roll. I think I have A.D.D. when it comes to 1911's!
Top Top