Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/21/2006 6:20:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 6:22:18 AM EDT by E1]
I am looking for personal experience on concealed carry and how well your firearm deals with it. I would like to know about how off the shelf blued, SS, etc performed. I am not interested in refinished or add on coatings just the original basic equipment. This summer I will most likley carry my SS .357 when checking my property, and just general hot weather all day carry. Would like to carry by blued but may just need to wipe her up better at the end of the day?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:09:13 AM EDT
The stainless should be fine. I carry a glock most of the time and no rust on it. I always have a t-shirt on underneath my concealment shirt so I am usually not sweating directly on the gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:19:51 AM EDT
Blued does not do well against the skin, and it does badly in a leather holster that gets soaked in sweat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:27:57 AM EDT
If you get blued remove it from the holster and wipe it down every night. EVERY NIGHT. The night you forget will be unforgiving, if you live in a hot climate (even a hot, dry climate).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:53:16 AM EDT
i carry in a miltsparks vmII and it has a "backing" to it which seperates the gun from my skin and i also carry a glock.

not a single problem
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:02:13 PM EDT
If you carry a Glock, perspiration isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:18:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 7:26:08 PM EDT by JasonBurton]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:37:31 PM EDT
Get a GLOCK
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:41:04 AM EDT
Maybe one day on the Glock, but I'm a 1911 man myself, but that's for out and about. Around the property will be the .357. Thanks folks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:57:21 AM EDT
I find that parkerizing holds up better than bluing. Since you don't have a parkerized firearm go with the stainless, it will require less maintenance. I personally carry a Sig 220 in a horsehide VMII, but the slide has been re-done with Norrell's moly resin. Never had a problem with corrosion yet. MJD
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:12:53 AM EDT
My wife and I mostly carry Kahr pistols with the DLC coating over stainless. Never had any problems with those except for the sights getting some corrosion. My Walther P99 also stands up to sweat very well. Wife's Sig P220 needs extra care when she carries it, cause the blued steel slide does rust. BSW
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:25:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JasonBurton:
I’m one of those people who have never had any issues with blued guns rusting. I carry a blued gun in an IWB everyday and despite even shooting it quite a bit in the rain, snow and the like I’ve never had a single issue with rust... leather holster and all. Come to think of it the only carry gun I ever had rust was a “stainless” steel gun.

My take is so long as the gun is reasonably cared for and the user applies a bit of common sense a blued gun is a non-issue for a gun used in an every day concealment role. Same goes for “stainless”, Black-T, hard chrome, teflon, etc....

+1

Oh yeah...parked guns are better anyway!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:09:34 PM EDT
Haven't had a problem with any rust with concealed carry. I carry OWB, though, and I don't sweat a lot. Haven't carried a lot in the summer also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:19:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hokie:
If you carry a Glock, perspiration isn't a problem.

+1 Nothing beats Tenifer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:46:18 PM EDT
I used to carry a Kel-Tec P11 whose finish is pretty cheap. Never had any problems with rust.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:40:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:53:41 AM EDT
I use the Sig Alloy frame, stainless/Nitron slide P239, and just ordered an alloy frame, stainless/Nitron slide P220. The only issue is that I found that the standard grip will, if you sit on it, rub the white coating off of toilet seats, which is then next to impossible to get out of the grip.

The frame and slide have no issues whatsoever after being sweated on (Milt VM-2), some of the levers will rust slightly on the side of the lever/latch that faces the slide - run a pipe cleaner with oil through there to keep them oiled.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:02:16 AM EDT
Not to discredit any post made here, but take these statements with a grain of salt. Just because you hear enough posts stating "I never... with my.... and..." doesn't mean it will be YOUR experience. Maybe they are sugestive, perhapes even persuasive, but compelling? At your own peril.

As for me, I carry SS 1911s in a hot, HOT climate. My buddy & I moved my 3 BR house worth of shit across town over a couple of nights (and I soloed well into the day) we had a Toyota PU hence the long time period. I was so beat soloing after doing the night shift with him that I'd crash in the early afternoon until he got off work to repeat the process. 2-3 days w/o wiping was enough to put surface rust on the slide serration that touched my skin.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:57:40 AM EDT
If I may make an inexpensive suggestion to help prevent rust regardless of material or finish. Get a can of Johnsons Paste Wax from your local grocery or hardware store. It's a paste wax (well yeah, obviously) that is meant for use on floors. I use it on all of my guns and knives. Doesn't get slippery like silicone, and doesn't get messy and rub off onto clothing like oils.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:18:26 PM EDT
Use to carry a Sig P220 with K-Kote it showed holster wear after a few months in a Sparks VMII, now carry a HK USPc and not even holster wear marks after a year also in a Sparks VMII (Best D**M holsters ever made). Neither had a rust problem ever. Friend had a new XD 40 not sure on holster and had rust after first day of carry, he sayed it rubbed right off but still... I don't think you can beat HK's "Hostile Environment" for a factory finish.
Top Top