Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 4:41:17 PM EDT
So here's the deal. I've been waiting 13 months for a warranty replacement for my P220 Super Match. A beautiful gun my wife gave to me on our wedding night. It had an issue right off the bat and had to be replaced. Apparently the gun was out of production at that point and I spent 13 months waiting for a replacement until I finally settled on getting an X-five competition as a replacement.

The problem is that they won't send me the factory mags because I'm in CA. 10 round limit. They're going to swap them out for standard 226 10 round mags. The obvious problem is that the X-five has a mag well and the standard 226 mags are too short to be used effectively. They'll still work, just not as well.

What's my best option? I known I could try to attach some thick rubberatting on the bottom or something but I was hoping for a factory look.

TL;DR - I need big base pads for 226 mags because CA is garbage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
and this isn't even the thread I started yesterday for (nearly) the same reason

OP -- I'm jealous of your X5....but have the same problem with Magwell TacOps grips...and your wife is obviously TIER-1...nice wedding gift!  Pics not necessary as this isn't GD.

Yeah - Kali is making my mag changes (among other things) miserable with this 10-round BULLSHIT.

Short of finding an answer here, I'm going to start eye-ballin' rubber mats on my next HomeDepot or Lowes run...

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
and this isn't even the thread I started yesterday for (nearly) the same reason

OP -- I'm jealous of your X5....but have the same problem with Magwell TacOps grips...and your wife is obviously TIER-1...nice wedding gift!  Pics not necessary as this isn't GD.

Yeah - Kali is making my mag changes (among other things) miserable with this 10-round BULLSHIT.

Short of finding an answer here, I'm going to start eye-ballin' rubber mats on my next HomeDepot or Lowes run...

View Quote

Actually I did find extended baseplates online, I forget the company but its pretty easy to Google. The problem is that they're $30 a piece and apparently they only work on the high cap mags. They won't work on the standard 10 round 226 mags even if you wanted to spend the money.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Too bad about your P220 Super Match but if I understand you correctly, they replaced it with a P226 X-Five Competion?

Anyway, I own and love both pistols.

Here's what I suggest for a quick, temporary, fix and although it obviously isn't a perfect solution, you will be able to easily use the reduced capacity magazines forced on you by the miserable State of California.

You can easily remove the mag well by removing the grips and sliding the mag well right off.

Not an ideal solution, but the pistol was designed to use 19 round high capacity magazines with special baseplates, and not the abominations you are forced to use.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new X-Five.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Too bad about your P220 Super Match but if I understand you correctly, they replaced it with a P226 X-Five Competion?

Here's what I suggest for a quick, temporary, fix and although it obviously isn't a perfect solution, you will be able to easily use the reduced capacity magazines forced on you by the miserable State of California.

You can easily remove the mag well by removing the grips and sliding the mag well right off.

Not an ideal solution, but the pistol was designed to use 19 round high capacity magazines with special baseplates, and not the abominations you are forced to use.

View Quote

Honestly I'd rather they have just been able to get me a Super Match, it had sentimental value. Also I think it was a more attractive gun. Since that seemed to have become impossible they agreed to do the x-five. I did get them to include wood grips with it which should dress it up a lot.  

There really just wasn't a lot of options at a similar price to the super match to replace it with. I think that considering how long I waited that this is a fair trade.

I was really hoping the original x-five baseplates would work in the 10 round 226 mags, and that they'd be able to send me some. I think the problem is that they only get the mags as complete units so they probably won't have extra parts.   I really don't want to take off the magwell, it looks sweet in the pics.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Honestly I'd rather they have just been able to get me a Super Match, it had sentimental value. Also I think it was a more attractive gun. Since that seemed to have become impossible they agreed to do the x-five. I did get them to include wood grips with it which should dress it up a lot.  

There really just wasn't a lot of options at a similar price to the super match to replace it with. I think that considering how long I waited that this is a fair trade.

I was really hoping the original x-five baseplates would work in the 10 round 226 mags, and that they'd be able to send me some. I think the problem is that they only get the mags as complete units so they probably won't have extra parts.   I really don't want to take off the magwell, it looks sweet in the pics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what this thread needs....some pics!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I think your best bet is to sell your house and move to like TX or AZ
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#7]
1- You can remove the factory magwell pretty easily.  Simply remove the grips and slide the magwell off.

2- J&J makes some basepads that screw onto the bottom of your factory 10-rd pads.  I did this for my X5 and it worked great.  These are the basepads: http://jandjproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=9-PAD

3- Get some 20-rd MecGar rebuild kits and sand down the sides of the Plus Basepads so that they will fit inside the magwell.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1- You can remove the factory magwell pretty easily.  Simply remove the grips and slide the magwell off.

2- J&J makes some basepads that screw onto the bottom of your factory 10-rd pads.  I did this for my X5 and it worked great.  These are the basepads: http://jandjproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=9-PAD

3- Get some 20-rd MecGar rebuild kits and sand down the sides of the Plus Basepads so that they will fit inside the magwell.

View Quote

I don't like option 1.

I'm going to look into option 2.

Option 3 I had looked into yesterday. Found them for $35/piece. This will be my preferred option if Sig can't come through with the mags. My FFL carries high cap mags for LE and also blocks them at 10 for everyone else. They are a Sig direct dealer. I don't see any reason why Sig wouldn't be able to send me mags to them. To me personally, no. To an FFL, totally fine.

As fas as the pics I've only looked them up on Google images since I don't have the gun yet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think your best bet is to sell your house and move to like TX or AZ
View Quote

Its definitely getting that way. Only getting worse. We're sorta eyeballing AZ because her good friend lives there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top