Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/30/2005 12:18:59 PM EDT
I bought a Para Tac Four this week, brand new from a local gun store. I debated long and hard about it, this is going to be my CCW gun. I finally decided on it, took it home and cleaned and lubed it and proceded to the local range. First magazine full of Federal 230 grain Hydra Shock functioned fine but prduced BIG groups at 25 yards. Next I fed it some 230 FMJ ball ammo and the gun would not even cycle with it!! It seems like there is something wrong with the mag springs? They aren't even strong enough to hold the slide open on an empty magazine!? I have a sinking feeling that after weighing out all of my options (Kimber, Glock, Browning HP) I spent $700 on the wrong gun. How can I trust my life and families lives on a piece of crap that wont even cycle with 230gr ball ammo or hold open on an empty mag??? I have already ordered Wolff mag springs and will see if that is the problem, but damn, why would I have to buy a brand new gun that was more expensive than the others and then start replacing parts just to make it usable?? What a turd this thing is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 12:21:56 PM EDT
I forgot to mention the barrel, the rifling is horrible, lots of machining and rough spots. The rifling looks like it's shot 200,00 rounds of dirt covered FMJ. The gun was definately new, purchased from the dealer. Everybody who's seen the barrel says it looks awful.
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 1:05:14 PM EDT
I have a Colonel LDA it has 1000 rds through it not 1 FTF or FTE not 1 I would send yours back ,but the spec ops para kote on mine is junk.And its very accurate at 25 yds.

Link Posted: 10/30/2005 3:29:30 PM EDT
And on the flip side, I also have a new Tac-Four, and I am extremely happy with it. Carry it every day, and have all the confidence in it.

Took it to the range about a month ago, shot the LE P.O.S.T. course with it right out of the case, and aced the course. Except for one FTF, which I caused (not the gun), it performed flawlessly.

Shooting 230 grain Golden Sabers and had no hiccups with the gun. Mags gave me no problems.

Think I'll keep it.

Good luck in resolving the problems with yours.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:28:14 AM EDT
Sounds like you got a lemon. Picked up a used Tac Four for $525 and it's a tack driver. Making 50 yard hits with 230gr Wolf FMJ. No FTF or FTE after 400rds. I carry 230gr Speer Gold Dot for defense rounds.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:36:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2005 6:26:36 PM EDT by ReefRaider]
Get the Wolff 10% + mag springs and a 22 lb colt commander recoil spring ( stock is a 18lb ).
Even a Glock needs a brake-in .I put 500rnds through my G27s. As for the barrel send it back with a letter from a gunsmith or the shop that sold you the gun stating the defect and see what happens. One of my G27s I have put $300.00 into and my tec-4 still out shoots it. Dont get me wrong the Glock would still get the job done stone stock I just can't seem to leave it at that.
Have you let anyone else shoot the gun ??

ETA the 22# recoil spring from Wolff comes with a + power spring for the firing pin too. It must be put in to use the 22# recoil spring I have not had the gun to the range since it was put in but it sure racks good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 3:15:44 AM EDT
I would try new springs before I got to frustrated or sent it back.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:00:43 PM EDT
Mine would not cycle with the springs either. I emailed para and they sent me new springs end of problem,
Thanks,Keith
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:33:24 AM EDT
I will give you $10.00 for it....cash. If you don't like it , sell it. If you want to keep it, fix it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:37:43 AM EDT
I have the C7.45 LDA and have not had any problems with it, however, I use only Wilson mags in it. Para has not had a good reputation when it come to their magazines and I am not sure why. As for the barrel, I would agree with the other folks and send it back to Para to get that fixed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:34:37 PM EDT
I dont have a Tac-four, but it did take Wolff 10% springs to get my Warthog running 100% ...

The factory springs would not raise the rounds fast enough to time with the short 3" action. Was getting tons for FTF's untill the new springs where installed. Now I may get one in like 600 rounds. Polishing the feedramp and chamber helped out alot too..
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:23:57 AM EDT
I bought a brand new Para CWX645S, 3" stainless LDA. Dealer had to order it. It would not chamber the first round out of the first magazine I put in it. If you only loaded 3 or 4 rounds in the mag it would do ok. So I shot about 100 rounds thru it thinking it would limber up. It didn't. I then dissasembled it and polished the feed ramp (below the barrel feed ramp). It did a little better. I put my carry rounds, (hollow points) and it wouldn't chamber the first round completely into battery. At least not without help. Factory rounds, not reloads.

I emailed Para detailing my problems. I waited about 3 weeks with NO reply from Para.

At this point I took it back to the dealer and they sent it back. Got it back after a month, workorder said they shot 50 rounds of ball and 50 rounds of hollow point with no malfunctions. No work performed.
I loaded up one mag of my carry hp's, racked the slide and guess what? It failed to go into battery.

I am sick of it. After my second email after it was returned to me I finally got a reply from Para. Guy said he would talk to me if I would give him my phone number. I only want rid of at this time.
Talk cannot erase their non response the first time or the unreliability of this Para.

I had a sinking feeling when I had to polish the feed ramp to get it to function at all. How did it leave the factory this way?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:22:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CC_Ryder:
I bought a brand new Para CWX645S, 3" stainless LDA. Dealer had to order it. It would not chamber the first round out of the first magazine I put in it. If you only loaded 3 or 4 rounds in the mag it would do ok. So I shot about 100 rounds thru it thinking it would limber up. It didn't. I then dissasembled it and polished the feed ramp (below the barrel feed ramp). It did a little better. I put my carry rounds, (hollow points) and it wouldn't chamber the first round completely into battery. At least not without help. Factory rounds, not reloads.

I emailed Para detailing my problems. I waited about 3 weeks with NO reply from Para.

At this point I took it back to the dealer and they sent it back. Got it back after a month, workorder said they shot 50 rounds of ball and 50 rounds of hollow point with no malfunctions. No work performed.
I loaded up one mag of my carry hp's, racked the slide and guess what? It failed to go into battery.

I am sick of it. After my second email after it was returned to me I finally got a reply from Para. Guy said he would talk to me if I would give him my phone number. I only want rid of at this time.
Talk cannot erase their non response the first time or the unreliability of this Para.

I had a sinking feeling when I had to polish the feed ramp to get it to function at all. How did it leave the factory this way?

Have you tried other magazines? Are you using the slide stop to release the slide, or are you pulling it all the way back and letting it rip forward? What hollow points are you using? Have you tried others to see if they work? Not all guns will feed all HPs. For example, my XD will feed almost any HP except Starfires. One of my 1911s won't feed 185 grain gold dots. The others will. Answer these questions and maybe we can help more.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:13:47 AM EDT
Other Magazines: Kimber, Colt, Mecgar. the same with all. I pull the slide back all the way and let it go. Plus it will not chamber a new round after a shot.

My XD eats everything.

The hollow points are Blazer, cop friend calls them 'flying saucers'.

I prolly could find something that it likes but it has soured for me. After I had to polish the feed ramp before I could get it to feed ANYTHING. Kind of an indicator of Para's quality control for me. I could never be comfortable carrying it.

For example my stainless Kinber 3" Ultra Carry II cycles the same ammo fine. It is also a 3" but with a seven round mag instead of 6. Never had to polish anything on it.

Actually I love the XD but it is like carrying a shoebox.

I normally carry a H & K P7M8, no reliability problems there but a little big & heavy. I guess it spoiled me as far as reliability is concerned. Nothing else seems to measure up.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:54:48 AM EDT
Talk to the man on the phone! I currently own three different model paras and love them all. The first para I bought years ago did not suit me in the way the barrel was machined. I spoke to the para rep and finally sent the gun back. They said that the barrel was well within spec, but replaced it anyway. That to me is outstanding customer service. The paras I have now are all "limited", which amoung other things means they have "match grade" barrels.
I carry a P-12 Limited, Stainless with 2 extra 16 capacity mags that I assembled when you could only buy parts and not whole hi cap mags a few years ago. I like the 45, 45s concept for peace of mind.
Top Top