Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/14/2005 12:41:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 12:44:00 AM EDT by Blankwaffe98]
Here's one for yall.
Replaced the factory Para recoil spring with an I.S.M.I. 16# recoil spring.
First thing I noticed was that the slide was much easier to cycle by hand.
Pistol functions perfectly but the cases are ejecting out to 6'-8' from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock with 230gr. ball.Same with 185gr Sabers.
Im also getting primer wipe.
Pistol runs 100% with the 16# spring.
I reinstalled the old Para spring and things settled down right back where they were and runs 100%.Cases ejecting to about 4' in a nice little pile at 3 o'clock even with an old spring.
So I contacted Para and they said they use a 18# spring in the P14-45 and highly recommended it.
Now I thought the 16# spring was the standard spring in the 1911 and all Ive ever run in my other 1911's.
So what do yall think on this?
Should I try an 18# ISMI or 18.5# Wolff?
Or just leave the 16# ISMI in place and shoot?
Need some opinions to put my mind to rest.
TIA
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:04:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:24:44 AM EDT
I have many Government model 1911s. The only spring I run in ALL my 1911s is a Wolff 18.5#. If you did a survey /poll on which recoil spring to use on a 5" 1911, I guarantee at least 90% of the responses will be for the 18.5# recoil spring.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:20:53 AM EDT
Taken from the Wolff website:

3. How heavy should my recoil spring be? What weight recoil spring should I use with a particular load?

These are two very hard questions to answer in exact terms and in most cases an exact answer is not possible. There are many factors which influence the correct weight recoil spring to use. These factors include the particular ammunition brand and load, individual pistol characteristics, individual shooting styles and your individual, subjective feeling of how the gun shoots and should feel. In general terms, the heaviest recoil spring that will allow the pistol to function reliably is the best choice - tempered by the above factors. If your casings are hitting the ground in the 3 to 6 foot range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct. If you are ejecting beyond the 6-8 foot range, then a heavier recoil spring is generally required. If your casings are ejecting less than 3 feet a lighter recoil spring may be needed to assure proper functioning. Taking these factors into consideration, it then comes down to how the gun feels and performs when shooting - in your judgment. Using too light a recoil spring can result in damage to the pistol and possible injury to you.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:16:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DocGun:
I have many Government model 1911s. The only spring I run in ALL my 1911s is a Wolff 18.5#. If you did a survey /poll on which recoil spring to use on a 5" 1911, I guarantee at least 90% of the responses will be for the 18.5# recoil spring.

+1 on that. Its what I have on my p14 now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:00:24 AM EDT
18.5# Wilson combat.Lighter loads are good for light springs like race guns.I use 230 grain all the time and the 18.5# is great,not too easy not too hard to cycle.The gun can take a pounding with light springs and heavy loads.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:55:48 PM EDT
Thanks for the info fella's.Responses here are a bit diiferent from what I read over on 1911.com.Alot of those guys are of the mind that the heavier springs than standard will batter the gun on the return battery stroke.
But like I said Para uses the 18# spring for the P14-45 and the P16-40...same spring.Actually my old Para recoil spring tests a 19# on my tester.
Wilson combat and Baer both use the 18.5#.
From what I have seen with my P14-45 it likes the 18# best.In fact its gota have it or its going to beat itself to death with slide velocity.With the 16# spring Im getting all the signs of a weak recoil spring.
Only thing I can see different in my P14-45 and my other pistols is the firing pin stop has a very generous radius on its bottom edge.Actually its ramped.The other 1911s are almost square with just the very bottom edge radiused slightly.From what Ive read this plays a major role on how fast the slide opens.
So rather than continuing to try and fix something that is not broke,I will stay with the 18# spring in my P14-45 as advised you all as well as Para.I will order a couple Wolff 18.5# springs in the morning.
Thanks again all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:21:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Blankwaffe98:
Thanks for the info fella's.Responses here are a bit diiferent from what I read over on 1911.com.Alot of those guys are of the mind that the heavier springs than standard will batter the gun on the return battery stroke.
But like I said Para uses the 18# spring for the P14-45 and the P16-40...same spring.Actually my old Para recoil spring tests a 19# on my tester.
Wilson combat and Baer both use the 18.5#.
From what I have seen with my P14-45 it likes the 18# best.In fact its gota have it or its going to beat itself to death with slide velocity.With the 16# spring Im getting all the signs of a weak recoil spring.
Only thing I can see different in my P14-45 and my other pistols is the firing pin stop has a very generous radius on its bottom edge.Actually its ramped.The other 1911s are almost square with just the very bottom edge radiused slightly.From what Ive read this plays a major role on how fast the slide opens.
So rather than continuing to try and fix something that is not broke,I will stay with the 18# spring in my P14-45 as advised you all as well as Para.I will order a couple Wolff 18.5# springs in the morning.Thanks again all.

Midway always has them in stock. Make sure you get the "regular" ones not the "variable". I like the fact that Wolff also includes a firing pin spring.
Top Top