Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2008 2:41:54 PM EDT
I'm beside myself from reading and searching on this board. Hell, the pic thread is less than one page long. Hitting the 14 years ago key on my pc takes me back to when the P-14 was to die for. STI was 4 years about. I was using an S&W 686 Power Port (still have it) because I couldn't afford the race guns of that time let alone a real 1911 .45. I was a newb then and still am to this day. Here's my question...

Is this stuff worth keeping, in regards to the frame kit, worth building? I don't compete and if I did, it would be on a low level Tuesday night deal out at Usery Pass.

Para-Ordnance P-16 Gunsmith Kit

Purchased in 1994 just before the Clinton ban.

IIRC paid ~$275

Steel Frame (Not Stainless)

Is this a jamo-matic? Box Stock. P-14/16 mag's as well?

Any thoughts, advice?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Great nostalgia, there, reminds me of a time when I was a big fan of the idea, the design and company, something that has long since disappeared.You really have two choices as I see it. Keep it untouched as a very cool momento that may have collector value at some uncertain future point, or build the weapon to get some use out of it. Forget selling it unless it's a bother for you to keep an unfinished piece around, because they have made tons of those kits over the years, and I don't see demand for them jumping with our economy and the other (perhaps better) hi-cap 1911 alternatives.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks pulpsmack. I think I'll hang on to it as I have no pressing reason to get rid of it. Technology and manufacturing process has come a long way since then.

Link Posted: 11/2/2008 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
That would be my choice as well. It's like a having a mint Welcome Back Kotter lunchbox with the matching thermos. You may not do a thing with it, but it's a cool to hang on to.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought one of these back in the 80's, maybe 84 or so, and just used an Auto-Ordnace kit for the top. Just a basic shooter still maybe 400 rds down the tube so far even after all these years... I would like to sink some $$ nto it and see what I could end up with... One thing is the damn ejector kicks the shell out and pings me in the forehead right now... Need to work or replace that.
But I have no complaints... would know what to complain about anyway...
just my 2 cents for once
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Many moons ago, I found one of the frame kits with a Springfield Armory slide & barrel. I didn't know any better, but I picked it up and it was my first ever pistol purchase for $400 or so. Well, it sat around and did nothing until I sent it off to Springfield Custom Shop for tweaking and refinishing.

It's a gorgeous, heavy beast of a pistol. I'll have to post some photos.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Many moons ago, I found one of the frame kits with a Springfield Armory slide & barrel. I didn't know any better, but I picked it up and it was my first ever pistol purchase for $400 or so. Well, it sat around and did nothing until I sent it off to Springfield Custom Shop for tweaking and refinishing.

It's a gorgeous, heavy beast of a pistol. I'll have to post some photos.

There you go.

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm always on the lookout for PO frame kits, and the one you have is slightly rare in that most are serrated.  Yours has an unmolested front strap.  I have three sitting in the safe for future builds.  They are all serrated, and are the gunsmith kits like yours.  Paras have thin front straps at the mag opening, making it hard to chekcer them 20 lines per inch to match the serrations.  I prefer the type you have as you can serrate it 40 lines per inch.  

Anyway, as for their suitability for a build, they are not as truly straight in the froame rails as a Caspian, as evidenced by the many people who have tried and failed to get a true match fit to the slide and frame.  They always loosen up over time, and I'm guessing that's why Les Baer dropped them from the SRP lineup.

If you're not seeking absolute zero tolerance slide to frame fit, then they are a great candidate for a build.  I would buy yours in a hearbeat if it were reasonably priced.  I say build away.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm always on the lookout for PO frame kits, and the one you have is slightly rare in that most are serrated.  Yours has an unmolested front strap.  I have three sitting in the safe for future builds.  They are all serrated, and are the gunsmith kits like yours.  Paras have thin front straps at the mag opening, making it hard to chekcer them 20 lines per inch to match the serrations.  I prefer the type you have as you can serrate it 40 lines per inch.  

Anyway, as for their suitability for a build, they are not as truly straight in the froame rails as a Caspian, as evidenced by the many people who have tried and failed to get a true match fit to the slide and frame.  They always loosen up over time, and I'm guessing that's why Les Baer dropped them from the SRP lineup.

If you're not seeking absolute zero tolerance slide to frame fit, then they are a great candidate for a build.  I would buy yours in a hearbeat if it were reasonably priced.  I say build away.

You cannot see it in the picture, but mine is serrated. Not the prettiest, but I had them stipple around the serrations.

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Stippling is a good thing.  That gun looks all business.  I had one of the old style frame kits, and like you, came across a good deal on the upper half.  I got a Colt Competition slide for a very cheap price.  I put it together for my father in law.

Link Posted: 10/4/2009 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a P14.45 that I bought used 5 years ago that has an all steel frame.

Tens of thousands of rounds and it finally needs a rebuild.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Pics, man pics!
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pics, man pics!

I'm in Iraq.  Give me about 5 weeks and I'll be able to take pics.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 2:53:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stippling is a good thing.  That gun looks all business.  I had one of the old style frame kits, and like you, came across a good deal on the upper half.  I got a Colt Competition slide for a very cheap price.  I put it together for my father in law.

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/5691/gunpics01312bu.jpg

Nice gun! Which grips are those?

I just found the receipt for my Para. I paid $389 + tax for the gun complete with the Springfield Armory slide & barrel. In retrospect, that was a one helluva deal.

Link Posted: 10/11/2009 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Navidrex grips.  I got them through Brownells.  If you order them, you need to make sure you get them for the old style frame, which is what you have.  The new style frame is much more contoured on the front strap, and the grips are not as wide.  Here's a link:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=23645/pid=9558/sku/DW_Grip_fits_P_14_Old

Personally, I don't think they are worth $60, but finding grips for Paras is not easy.  I paid dealer price.  I like the Hogues, but they are bulky.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I got one of the P14 frame kits back in the early 90s and also used one of the Auto-Ordnance Para-completion kits. I put it together myself using the exploded view in a Numrich catalog.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Pretty cool thanks for posting it. :-)
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#17]
20 years of 1000s of +P loads, nightstand, floorboard, tackle box, sweaty IWBs, and so on with a mish-mash of parts and a Colt Commander top end and she's never let me down. Got 2 more unassemled frame kits that are staying with me to build my pair of Damascus slide old man rockin' chair pistols one day. Definitley reccomend the Hogue grips, got 'em on 4 Paras (and one Olympic AR15) and am VERY pleased.

Link Posted: 5/30/2010 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Had mine since the mid 90s. Im having a serious itch to finally build it. I was parking some AK parts today so i tossed the frame and slide in there to for the hell of it, I think it came out pretty good. Now the parts search begins. Being from CA this is a gold mine of sorts because it not on our hippy ass roster.

Its funny this thread keeps getting brought up over the last few years, there isn't a lot of info about these frames though.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I've looking for a couple more of these frames; does anyone know an easy way to tell the 'old style' from 'new style' frames by picture, serial number, etc?  Are the old style ones always in the cardboard, new in the styrofoam, or is there some cross-over?  Anyone got an old style one they care to part with?  Will post pics of the one i have when I get a chance.  Caspian top with sunk Bomar, good piece of hardware.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Since we are hijacking this guys thread, I'll pile on...................

Bought this one used in '93, got it from the guy who built it from a frame kit.  It had a springer slide and had been used heavily.
About 6k rds later the front of the slide broke off at the bushing inset lug.   Picked up a para slide and have had no more issues
in more than 5k rds
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Well i scratched my itch and built this thing. I have no real 1911 experience. It pretty much fell together. It still needs some work, like contouring the lines around the beaver tail and a few other minor things. Everything is running smooth and as it should except for the thumb safety. A little to much filing, so a new one is on the way. It also needs some real sights, Im going with fixed sights.

Ill take it to a gunsmith when i think its GTG to have everything checked out and have the front strap done. Then ill refinish all the parts that need to be redone and shoot the piss out of it. All parts are Ed Brown/Fusion with a Bar-Sto barrel that dropped right in with no fitting!

Link Posted: 9/18/2010 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've looking for a couple more of these frames; does anyone know an easy way to tell the 'old style' from 'new style' frames by picture, serial number, etc?  Are the old style ones always in the cardboard, new in the styrofoam, or is there some cross-over?  Anyone got an old style one they care to part with?  Will post pics of the one i have when I get a chance.  Caspian top with sunk Bomar, good piece of hardware.

The "old style" frame has the squared front corners on the grip frame like my build pictured above, and may not have a cut for a ramped barrel, although I believe some of the later ones do.. The "new style" has the rounded corners like most of the other ones in this thread, and is cut for a round Clark / Para ramped barrel, (not a square Wilson / Nowlin ramp).
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a pair of these that my grandpa had a guy build for him back in the early 90's. They are both great shooters. My biggest compaint is that the mags are really expensive and they have plastic mag catches. I also don't really like the high cap frame width. They mostly just chill in my safe.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top