Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 6:29:13 PM EDT
I ordered one of these last night.

www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=17

Do any of you own one of these?  What do you think of them?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a single stack C7 .45 LDA that I have been carrying on and off duty everyday for about the last two years without a hitch. I use only Wilson mags in it as I have been told that there have been some problems with the factory Para mags.

I have shot the double column Para's and found them to be great shooters, but a bit on the large size for me to effectively conceal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a PARA Tac-Four, basicallt P-13 in DA, Lots of problems with it, traded it for a Glock, extra mags, night sights and some other acces.
All the Para's I've known that are problem prone are notorious for stove piping, most of the solved with the purchase of a good quality steel or aluminum mag relese.
Otherwise, good accuracy and OK pistol, Very nice finishes.
Good luck, hopefully yours is a keeper with no problems
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd have gone with a SA hicap, personally.  Hope the Para-Ord works out for you
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Black Watch SSP with the LDA trigger. really like the trigger set-up, accurate right from the box and reliable, I've purposely put every kind and any kind of ammo I can find through this gun and not one malfunction, hell I didn't give it a first cleaning until I had put a thousand rounds down the pipe. I love my Para
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a P-12 and it was a good gun. it did have a nasty habbit of throwing brass back between your eyes.   Talk about breaking your concentration.  

So I took it in and had it worked over by a good gun smith.  
About a year later I had the trigger group replaced and it went from cool little gun to kick ASS!  Like any store bought 1911 yours may  need a little trigger tuning to get the most out of it.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I had 2. The 14.45 of mine was one hell of a great workhorse. I'm done with Para though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had a P14-45 for years. No problems whatsoever...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I HAVE OWNED TWO P/O PISTOLS. ONE P13, AND A P14 LDA LTD. sorry, no more shouting.   i loved the idea of so many rounds in a 1911 package. i never had any luck with either pistol.  most of the problems were said to be magazine related, poor mag springs. the lda was bought new w/4 mags and all was sent back to para, mag springs replaced-pistol checked out and when i got it back it ran ok for a little while, started acting up so i traded it for a stainless 1991a1 orm which is the most accurate reliable 1911 that i own. good luck with yours, if you experience ftf or failure of the slide to lock back, you might replace your mag springs with wolf  extra power springs. good luck
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input guys.  Hopefully I'll be able to take it to the range today and I'll let you know what I think of it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I only managed to put 50 rounds through it, but I love this gun!  I had no problems with it whatsoever.  I'm proud to finally  join the ranks of 1911 owners.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Years ago I bought a P13...didn't matter what mag I used, I had constant feed problems.

New mags...a ramp and throat job...still constant feed problems.

I sold the Para to a friend (who was aware of my complaints), and he put even more work into it.  He still experiences constant feeding problems.

I heard it was an issue with their double stack mags.  Not sure.  (nor what kind of mags the one you ordered uses)

I'll never buy another Para just because of my first experience.  My friend wishes he never bought it from me.  

It's Wilson Combat, Kimber & Springfields for me now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two of Para s the P14  and the p13 limited with adjustable sights.I added a smith & alexander maf funnel,larger thumb safety and a Briley bushing to the P14.Never had a problem with it.The P13 is compact the only thing I havent got used to are the adjustable sights.But both have been good to me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#13]
One of our Officers had a P14 KABOOM on him in training.  PO gave him a new one and he traded for a Glock.  Could've been the ammo or something but kinda steered me clear of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a Warthog and it is one sweet shooting gun. No problems what so ever.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Never have had any problems with my now 10 year  old P1445. It looks a little like your new one in fact!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a single stack C7 .45 LDA that I have been carrying on and off duty everyday for about the last two years without a hitch. I use only Wilson mags in it as I have been told that there have been some problems with the factory Para mags.

I have the same gun and when I got it hom and took it out of the box, I of course started looking at the mag.  The follower jumped out of the mag and almost took my eye out.  Needless to say I've never used that mag.  I ordered Wilson officers model mags and haven't had any problems.  Para single stack mags are not something I would trust, but their guns are top notch.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the same gun and when I got it hom and took it out of the box, I of course started looking at the mag.  The follower jumped out of the mag and almost took my eye out.  Needless to say I've never used that mag.  I ordered Wilson officers model mags and haven't had any problems.  Para single stack mags are not something I would trust, but their guns are top notch.

I don't know where Para is getting their mags now, but my gun is a couple of years old and back then they had a history of failure with the floorplates braking off (They are spot welded on).  I had a buddy of mine from another agency that actually issues the Para LDA's and they had problems with the magazines on most of their guns, so they all switched to Wilsons for duty use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm very happy with my 3 P14s.

No problems at all.  I'll buy another when I find a good deal.

C97
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]
never actually shot one, but during a 4day course I saw 2 para's go tits up. If it was one, ok, malfunctions happen with machines. But 2...dunno. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top