Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 8:42:12 AM EDT
Im looking to buy my first handgun aand I'm considering the Para Ordnance CCW or Tac-Four.  I love the 4.25" barrel and the LDA trigger.  Im pretty small 5'7" and about 120 so I want something I can easily conceal but still go out and shoot the hell outa it.  I definatly want the 4.25 barrel and would like night sights but I'm not real sure what else is out there.  In the furture I would like the gradually mod it.  I'm open to any suggestions.  I would like to spend 900-1000 after I buy the gun 3 mags or so and a good holster.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the SA over the Para.  I think that they are both good mfgs and it just depends on which you prefer.  

Don't forget a good belt if it is going to be your CCW!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I've owned both brands, though not an LDA.

IMO, between the two, the springfield would be better.

Among other things, the long trigger reset of the LDA doesn't help as there is a tendency to short-stroke it unless you really train yourself on it.

One our guys has a LDA .  I was not impressed with build quality.

SF
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Both equal in terms of quality, performance, reliability IMO.  I would suggest whichever feels better in your hand.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know if Paras contain any MIM's?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Para Ordnance are a bit to fragile for me.

Stick with a Colt or S&W if you want a 4 1/4 bbl

Care to elaborate?

I'm no fan of the LDA, but I'm thinking about something like a P-14. I don't wanna buy another piece of shit. I already had a Beretta once.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if Paras contain any MIM's?

MIM is actually decent compared to Paras method.....investment casting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the PARA LTC, a commander sized single action lightweight.  Love it.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive seen several articles about slides breaking, is this something that is a design flaw or did they just happen to get a lemon.  Also I would like to shoot some +P ammo and I have read that Para uses weak springs.  Would I need to replace them to shoot +P?  Or is this something that needs/should be done anyway?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

I'm no fan of the LDA, but I'm thinking about something like a P-14. I don't wanna buy another piece of shit. I already had a Beretta once.

the LDA's seem to like to self destruct bbl bushings, para's just don't seem to handle LOTS of shooting well.  Kinda like charter arms, easy to carry but just don't shoot it much.

Oh no, it would be cocked and locked, but it would get shot to hell, just like all my other guns. Guess I'll keep looking.

I'm sure I'll be tarred and feathered for this, but I may even buy a gun made by the G-word!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Fragile is right.........afew years ago I owned a P12.45 with an aluminum frame. The frame suffered a 1/2 inch crack at the cut-out for the slide stop. Attempted several times over many months to see if Para would replace the frame or offer any kind of service. Negative!
Sold the Pistol for cheap money to another 1911 fan. He was going to trash the frame but keep the remaining parts. Since then I've owned Colt Steel w/out a problem and going to try my luck at a Smith 1911.

Just thought I'd vent. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]
L.E. firearms instructor. I own and shoot the crap out of a P14-45 LDA and P-14-45 single action. I have many many many rounds thru both and never had an issue. Also shoot IDPA and combat comps with them. Narry a burp from both. I carry the LDA on duty daily and it has never failed to shoot minuite of felon for me. I'll never own anything but para.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Lots of Para bashing in here... interesting.  Investment casting is used by other manufacturers too.  FN used it on the Hi-Power bcz they found it to be stronger than forged frames.  Cast frames of 20 years ago are not the same as ones made today either.  MIM is not better, and like many other makers, Paras have MIM safeties, slide stops, etc.  

Para has the best extractor in the 1911 business IMO.  That has always been a weak point of 1911s and they fixed it w/o going to an external model (which can still have issues - just ask Kimber).  

While the early alloy frame guns had issues, Para's are FAR from fragile.  My P14 has been my primary carry/shooting/HD gun since 1993.  It has never let me down and I only sent it to Novak's bcz I had put countless thousands of rounds through it (wish I had kept a log).  It was my only gun for many years, so it had plenty of wear and deserved a "day at the spa".  

My 2k5 P12 is fantastic.  Super reliable and accurate and again, not a problem to speak of.  I would and do trust my life to either of them, and no matter what other kind of gun may be available, the P14 would be the first gun I reach for.

The LDAs are something I am wanting to buy...  all the reviews are great and I finally dry-fired one in a store.  I am very impressed.  I recommend you get the Para - I am confident you'll love it.  

BTW:  your screen name... have anything to do with Air Force PAVE LOWs?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top