Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2003 10:29:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2003 10:31:35 AM EDT by wgjhsafT]
Well after having a CCW permit for a few years I realized I wanted a smaller pistol than my normal carry. I researched a couple of guns, and I really liked the Kahr PM9, but for how much it costs I could spend a bit more and by a high $$$ .45.

I was at my local gunshop asking about small pistols when I came across a used Kel-tec P-11. I liked the gun and picked it up for about $165. A plus for me is that I have several S&W autos and their magazines will work with the Kel-Tecs!

Anyone else here have a P-11, and what are your experiences with them?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:26:05 AM EDT
I'd say go for it for 165. I own and carry a p-11 and love it. I had a side mounted clip installed as well, so it tucks right in like a pocketknife. Accuracy is pretty good for the range you'll be using it at, it takes S&W model 59 Hi-caps, I'd recomend it or a glock 26, but for 165, do it!
The only thing I don't really like about it is the DAO trigger, but you will get used to it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:17:30 AM EDT
Well I did get the P11 and its a pretty good little gun.

It already had the clip on it but it was loose so I tightened it up and added some blue loc-tite (as recommended on KTOG.org).

It shoots pretty good. This is a higher serial numbered P11 so it has the 8.5lb trigger pull but it still feels like it takes forever to actually fire it. I am sure Iwill get used to it in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:15:59 AM EDT
I just went back to carrying my p-11 with the clip,I was carrying a g-26, but I can't wear it with jeans at work, it's way too noticeable. I like the versatility of being able to slip it into the small of your back with a long shirt or jacket, or in my case it's in my right front pocket with an apron over it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:09:34 PM EDT
i bought a p-32 and was looking at ordering the clip like your p-11 has. does it hold the pistol securely? i like the small size for conceal carry but it still prints in a pocket.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:35:57 PM EDT
I have a Kel Tec P11, p32 and just got a P3AT. I love them all, but my P11's slide cracked on top. I sent it back and they are replacing it with a hard chrome slide since they don't make the stainless slides anymore. I spoke with Marty down there and he basically said that the stainless slides have this problem because the stainless steel they used didn't have a high enough carbon content. Excellent pistols by the way. I have the clip on the p32 and the p11 but carry the P3AT in a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:37:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By machaira:
i bought a p-32 and was looking at ordering the clip like your p-11 has. does it hold the pistol securely? i like the small size for conceal carry but it still prints in a pocket.

I have the p-32 with clip. Works great. Mine BARELY prints in a pocket. You would really have to be looking for it. With the clip on my pocket it just looks like a knife.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:54:41 AM EDT
Hey guys I was thinking of buying a P11 for my girlfriend to shoot at the range. Would this be a good choice? Because I want something she will be able to carry when she gets her permit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:09:33 PM EDT
Yes, the p-11 is a good gun, but maybe for women, a .32 would be a better choice, and it is smaller.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:13:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 98toyota:
Hey guys I was thinking of buying a P11 for my girlfriend to shoot at the range. Would this be a good choice? Because I want something she will be able to carry when she gets her permit.

I would definitely have her try one out before you buy her one, or just keep it for yourself if she doesn't like it. Every woman who has tried my P11 didn't like it. They thought the trigger hurt their finger and was too hard to pull.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:41:44 PM EDT
Well to tell the truth I want one anyways. So if she doesn't like it I was going to use it to carry. I am interested in this 32, why would it be better for her. And also pricing on that too. thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:03:47 AM EDT
I've had a p-11 for several years now. It has never malfunctioned on me and fits my wife's hand well, but like others have mentioned she finds the trigger pull uncomfortable. I have found that I have gotten used to the trigger pull, but women with smaller hands may not find the little pistol enjoyable to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:03:28 AM EDT
Re: the side clip discussion. The Kel-Tec side clips are GREAT (unless you are a gimmick inside-the-pants holster manufacturer). They will ruin you for anything else. They hold the pistol securely, with easy access. If one notices it at all it looks like a knife. Hint, put a cell phone near it and the clip is invisible, or at least visually lost by the other clip. I have a p3AT and I carry it all the time (a .380 in the waistband beats a .45 at home every time).

As far as the p-11, for 165, do it. Nice pistol. There are some "shortcomings" but they are not important to most uses. Remember what you are using it for. Most carry pieces , used legitimately are basically "belly guns." We needn't worry about competition accuracy. If anyone is 20 feet away, they will find out how fast an old guy can run. At 5 feet, my .380, especially in the lower abdomen will put them down. (And, I hope that remains an academic discussion)
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:08:06 AM EDT
Also a visit to the Kel-Tec Owners Group (www.ktog.org) would be a good idea.

I had some FTF problems when I got my P11. With a visit to KTOG I learned that polishing the feed ramp tends to fix this. After the polishing I went to the range and put 40 rounds of JHP through it as fast as I could squeeze the trigger and change mags. Zero malfunctions and it goes band everytime now.
Top Top