Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 11/13/2011 6:38:07 PM EDT
Hi!
I just picked up a used PT1911 at the funshow. The stuff Taurus coated the slide with is in awful condition. What's the safest way to remove what's left without damaging the slide?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:58:26 AM EDT
I tried using stainless steel wool on it last night and the stuff came off like poster paint. I'm going to remove the sights this evening and finish the job. He's looking 100% better at this point.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:38:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ClusterNukes:
I tried using stainless steel wool on it last night and the stuff came off like poster paint. I'm going to remove the sights this evening and finish the job. He's looking 100% better at this point.

I have a PT1911 with the standard Taurus black finish with gold color lettering. Is that what yours is? If so, I am wondering what it looks like after the steel wool treatment? What happens to the lettering? Does the lettering go away?
Sounds like he's down the naked bare steel?
What are your plans for a final finish?

I'm sure we would all like to see pics of the before, during and after the work is complete. I know i would.

Interested
VonBarkyBuckBuck

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 7:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2011 7:25:43 PM EDT by ClusterNukes]
I'm sorry but I didn't think to get a before pic. I never saw gold paint until the black stuff came off. (Sorry about the orientation of the pic)
This isn't a completed project but I've done all I'm gonna do with this slide.

Link Posted: 12/17/2011 5:05:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2011 5:06:53 AM EDT by silversport]
if the gold was covered up, I don't think it is the stuff Taurus coated it with you are dealing with...someone refinished the slide...or at least tried to cover up the gold lettering from Taurus...

...while I'm not crazy about the dull black oxide like finish I have on my slide, it is serviceable and has held up so far...and at least as nice as the similar finish I had on my Kimber Custom II before I had it hard chromed...

Bill
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 5:09:42 AM EDT
I WISH this was black oxide. It looked like it was brushed on and had already started coming off in many spots. When I saw I could remove it with a thumbnail,I decided to try using stainless steel wool.
There's still several things I dislike about this slide including that bit you see over the RUS in Taurus but I still think I got a good deal on it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 4:30:42 AM EDT
...and that may be the reason someone added another finish...but that's not a taurus finish...at least not one I've ever seen...
Bill
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:04:09 AM EDT
Looks like someone in Brazil was depressed about something, possibly the guy that inspected slides @ Taurus.

Shoots nice, though.

Wonder if Taurus warranties ugly machine work....

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:12:41 AM EDT
I'm curious why you believe your slide was finished at Taurus???...they wouldn't cover their gold lettering with black...someone else did that before you got it...at least to me it seems illogical to finish a slide, add the gold lettering and then cover THAT up with more black...

Bill
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:06:02 AM EDT
I wasn't referring to the finish in my last post but the metal work in the pic. Yes, I know the finish wasn't factory but the slimy metal work is.
Top Top