Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 10:58:12 PM EDT
Took my new stainless pistol to the indoor range tonight.

For the most part, it was uneventful! This is a good thing. I put 100 rounds of WWB, and 75 rds of Rem UMC ("green box") through it with NO failures of any kind.

I find the recoil to be very manageable with this pistol. Muzzle flash wasn't a problem with the WWB, but I did notice a great deal more flash with the Rem UMC loads.

The pistol also remained comfortable for me, my hand doesn't hurt at all after the session. However, the bottom of the trigger does "bite" my fingertip when I pull all the way back.

The only other bad things I noticed were:

1. A couple small nicks near the bottom of the feed ramp. These MAY have been there before the range session, but I looked the pistol over pretty good and I don't remember seeing them. Does anyone else have these?
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/gunmetalx012/Taurus/Bbl.jpg

I'm hoping there isn't something slamming against the barrel every time I fire.

2. The forward-most frame pin is walking out of the grip frame. When I first got my pistol, I actually did notice that it was sticking out of the right side of the grip frame, but just barely enough to notice. Now it's walked its way out farther.

Tonight I tapped it out even more so I could put a drop of blue Loc-Tite on both sides and tap it back in. Hopefully it holds!

Here's what it looked like when it was coming out:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/gunmetalx012/Taurus/Framepin.jpg
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you got a good pistol there. Good luck with it, and thanks for the report
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
No marks on mine, I'm at about 750 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#3]
mine looks like the barrel above,...and im at 600rds. for mine,....call Taurus you do have a lifetime warrenty,.. maybe the QC guy was dragging ass that day.

heres mine the day i got it,...its good and dirty inside because i made a little trip to the shooting spot on the way home,..250rds straight out of the box with out a problem,...but it has held up good and it is my daily carry pistol.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#4]
one of the greatest all-around pistols out there.  

I constantly say, if I had to have just one pistol, this would be it.  I unfirtunately had to sell mine though!

I had the same pin issue, and did the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up taking it to the range a 2nd time  and posted a report here:

www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/tf/Forum6/HTML/000452.html

(Scroll down beyond the first range report.)

So in summary, I did have 1 FTF and the pin is walking out again.  Also, the barrel is still hitting the mags -- I used my 2nd mag (which was completely unused until this outing) and I see the marks starting to appear on the 2nd mag now.

I put a call in to Taurus and they seemed very willing to work with me to resolve these issues, including paying for shipping back to them if I decide to send it in... which I guess I am probably going to do, as much as I hate to do it.  I am just not sure how they're going to fix the barrel/mag issue.  I suppose they could replace the barrel, but since it is serialized, I will end up with non-matching parts and that will piss me off.

I continue to feel that if everything were in proper working order this would be the best available CCW for me, so I am going to put some effort into getting this stuff resolved.  I'll post follow-ups as this process moves along.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Joe,

are you saying that you resolved the pin problem with Loc-Tite?  How much did you use, and where exactly did you put it?  How many rds did you fire afterwards without having it come out again?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Joe,

are you saying that you resolved the pin problem with Loc-Tite?  How much did you use, and where exactly did you put it?  How many rds did you fire afterwards without having it come out again?

Thanks.

just a tiny drop on the exposed part (that's where I figure it comes into contact with frame when properly 'in place' and then mallet and pin used to hammer it back in.  Didn't come out again.

don't HESITATE to send it back to taurus.  I had a great experience with their customer service.  I took out the mag release button to get a stronger spring in there (was a little weak when I got it, mags would come out if I fired all ten rounds T coultn'get the darned thing back in.  I went berzerk.  It has to be THE DUMBEST mag release installation design whatever you call it EVER.  advice: do NOT take out the mag release!  :-)

Sent it back with this note:  I screwed up.  can you fix this and charge me whatever the cost is as this is nto a manufacturing defect but  customer defect!  Also I know you said 'don't send sights with pistol', but can you isntall the trijicons I'm sending please and also send me a bill?

I got it back two-three weeks later, new mag release installed, trijicons installed, no bill.  Couldn't have been happier.

ETA: I wouldn't worry about 'non-matching parts', also if there is a manufacturing defect, does Taurus offer to apy shipping?  I never even inquired cause I wouldn't let them pay for shipping if they wanted to.  I screwed up my gun not them!

ETA2: there shoujld NEVER EVER be an FTF with this gun using FMJ's.  if ther eis, send it back.  I used almost exclusively silvertip 185 gr 45, and didn't have a single hiccup, FMJ's should glide right into th echamber.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]

I suppose they could replace the barrel, but since it is serialized, I will end up with non-matching parts and that will piss me off.

Don't worry about it.
If they replace the barrel, they'll put in one with a matching serial no.

I'd send it in and get the problem fixed, esp. if they are offering to pick up shipping cost.
This is the first time I'v heard of the barrel hitting the mags with the PT145.
It happened in my KelTec P3AT, but the follower was plastic, so it got damaged, not the feed ramp.

For a CCW .45, it's hard to beat the PT145 for <$500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top