Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 11:00:44 AM EDT
I say sort of, because my right hand had a case of the trembles, as if I had been exerting my arm to the extreme (I hadn't, and keep the cracks to yourself!)...I don't know why, but it was! This did not help the groups, thats for sure!

I was taking both the Taurusand Springfield XD45 to shoot for the first time. I was using Wolf 230gr ammo cause its all I had.

I fired about 5 magazines, 50 rounds, total.

For the first two magazines, I used a bench rest, and a redfield sight-in target, and a bullseye hold.

I was suprised about how much trigger creep there was! NOT acceptable, IMHO.

Point of impact was about 8" LOW from point of aim. I don't recall the spread on the redfield targets.

For the last 3 magazines, I used cupped hands resting on the table.

For the last magazine, I used a fresh target (a NRA rapid fire pistol target this time), and aimed at the top of the target.

This time, it got a bit strange. I had a 2" four shot group about 4" above and about 1.5" to the left of the bullseye, and a 2.5" wide x 4" high 6 shot group to the right of the bullseye. The top of the spread was at the X level, and drifted down and left. I really need to scan this target in and post it.
I don't know how much the trembling affected this.
I had 2 failures to feed...both not going into battery. One was about 1/2" out, and the other was like 1/16-1/8" out. In both cases, I just pushed the rear of the slide with my thumb to get them in battery.

I could also feel some debris hitting my face with each shot. Definitely want wear safety glasses.

In short, This gun is not acceptable for a self defense weapon because of the long creep. Point of impact needs to be investigated further by different ammo and a better day for my hand, but if this is the norm, its not acceptable either.

This could be a fun or serious gun, but needs work either way.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#1]

I may be a bit slow right now (just had a big lunch ),

but

which of the two pistols are you talking about (I read the title but ...)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets see, this is the Taurus section, so it must be the Taurus, right?

Yes, its the Taurus. The XD review is in the springfield forum
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Lets see, this is the Taurus section, so it must be the Taurus, right?

Yes, its the Taurus. The XD review is in the springfield forum

I got here thru 'Active Topics'
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a PT145 for about a year and I have found it to be very reliable. I have shot all sorts of ammo through it, WWB, range reloads, Starfires, Silvertips, Georgia Arms HP and FMJ and it has never failed once, not a hiccup. I carry it about 50% of the time because I trust it (I am a Taurus fan anyway, I have a PT111, PT945, PT92, nad PT145 all have been rock solid) I would say your problem may be the Wolf ammo, the only wolf I have ever bought was 7.62x39 and the AK's really don't care but these handguns might
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
PT145 has been extremely reliable for me. Not a single malfunction and I have put in at least 700 rounds. Militec really helped out and it is beleve it or not one of the smoothest DA triggers I have felt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#6]
have you guys had any problems with the long trigger creep? have you been able to get it removed?

John
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I just sold mine, but words I would use to describe it would be reliable, dependable, comfortable and compact.  IT was the perfect all around package, but I decided to get a bigger one (waiting on a 5 inch 24/7 SA 45).

The trigger, you get used to.  HAving a gun that never fails takes some more time to get used to!

had trijicons on mine, fed it a steady diet of 185gr jhp's....

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to chime in here.  It sounds like either you got a bad gun, or I got a great one.

My PT145 has been utterly reliable.  It will shoot any ammo I have put through it, including +P.  NO failures to feed or eject.  Accuracy has been acceptable for its intended purpose.  What I love about it besides the above, is the way it fits my hand, is comfortable to shoot, and is so GD small.  It would be hard to find a high-capacity compact 45 that is smaller than this.  10+1 rounds of 45acp that is easy to carry on you gives a nice comfy feeling that is hard to beat!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Does the Taurus millenium pro have the hard first trigger pull and then easy trigger pulls after?

Or is it an easy trigger pull from the first round to the last?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Boma - it's a DA only trigger , long pull but consistent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the long pull a hard pull?  I shot a SW revolver in DA and it had a long hard hard pull.  The reason why I'm asking so specifically is because I really love everything about this gun and I plan to get it as a back up gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope, its a nice soft pull during the take up, peaks a bit as the spring gets near let-off, then loosens at it fires.

I've been dry firing mine....I think I can get used to the creep after all...we'll see!

John
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
trigger is easy to learn and I am a HUUUUGE DAO hater.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Shot it again today, with a bunch of different loads. It does NOT like the range reload 185gr SWC. wouldn't go into battery with 4 of the 5 shots. Needed a thumb push. I think these loads were also a bit underpowered. They also like to throw "sparks" out the ejection port! That happened in the other .45 guns I shot it in too.

I know this isn't a target gun, but I should wish it could shoot some smaller groups than 6-8" at 25yards. It still shot high with all loads.

John
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up a PT145 two weeks ago and have had no problems whatsoever. Groups were about an inch and a half left and low at 15 yds. My girlfriend did have two out of battery malfunctions (solved with thumb push), but I just figured she was limp wristing. Traded in a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite for the PT...5 shots of .38 for 10+1 of .45 in roughly the same sized gun, how could I go wrong??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top