Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/27/2004 7:13:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 7:14:32 AM EST by dolanp]
I have been looking at the PPK/S (from Walther USA) as a candidate for my new carry weapon. I'm attracted to this gun because of it's size: being thin and small. It seems like it would be easy to conceal and carry. However, I've heard some conflicting reports on this model. Mind you, I'm talking about buying a new one from a local gunshop.

Some people give this gun great accolades for its size, reliability, and accuracy (especially since it's so small). I've also seen some reviews that cast doubts. Some say that it jams quite frequently and requires constant maintenance. I'm inclined to think this has something to do with their grip or ammo, but I don't really know for sure.

So I'm seeking your personal experiences and opinions about this gun. Right now I have confidence in it, but I don't want to trust my life to a gun that might jam at the wrong moment. If it's just a matter of ammo or grip, then that is easily correctible.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:37:54 AM EST
I had posted a long review of the S&W PPKs I recently bought to this forum but it has been deleted as old (I do not seem to have kept the posting). I found the gun works fine out of the box except with Blazer ammo. For the money, S&W needs to spend more time finishing the interior parts of the gun and removing the really sharp edges on the gun (I spent several hours stoning the edges to make them safe to handle). Trigger pull in DA is terrible but controlable. Racking the slide is tough due to the small size of the gun and the very hard recoil spring (quoted at 20 lb) needed by the blowback operation. Safety was very stiff and only gets workable after a couple of hundred cycles, something to do while watching TV debates. Use a glove to save your finger.

That said the gun was accurate at 30 feet, and would cycle with any ammo not alum cased. Fed round nose and hollow point. Looks great, but I really wanted a PPK in black which is not available and S&W told me may not be available. I would advise spending $50 on 500 rounds of Russian 380 ball and breaking in the gun before carrying it. The extended frame horn makes the new model worth while. Compare it to the original and you can see why.

Interior parts of the gun look as though they had no hand finishing on any kind and I thought looked very rough. One day I intend to take it apart and see what I can do to smooth some sharp and rough edges. Maybe the trigger will lighten some. To sum it up I like the pistol, and will keep it for a carry gun. Be sure to carry with a round in the chamber, as the slide is hard to cycle and you do not need to worry about that in any situation where you need the gun. Good luck, John McP
Top Top