Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 1/4/2006 7:20:47 AM EDT
Hello, new here! Nice place, with lots of friendly helpful people. Hopefully you can give me a hand  

Help me make up my mind!
Hope you guys/gals can help me make up my mind. Looking for practical hands on experience.

Anyway, I have been reading up on Kahr's for a while now. I have been turned off lately by some of the bad news I have found, but I am still interested. It seems to be the most practical gun for everyday carry as far as size/caliber goes. A S/A is out of the question, my duty gun is a 4006TSW and I want to stay with similar weapon systems.

I am looking for someone that owns both the PM9 and P9, or has in the past at least. I think the PM9 is a little small unless you use the 7rd mag, then all fingers have a place to go. So I was thinking you can use the 6rd for deep concealment (back up), and the 7rd most of the time.

Then I thought the P9 is only 1/2 bigger on each end, maybe just go with that, since it is a full grip.

So anybody want to share their experience with owning/carrying both of them. Did you tend to carry one more than the other? If so, why? I guess this would apply to the steel versions also. Or did you buy one, and wish you had purchased the other.

Right now I am undecided, and I can't find a dealer that stocks more than 1 Kahr around here, so it is hard to compare the two side by side. If they were not so darn expensive I would buy both. I may do that anyway if I like the Kahr that I buy, but that would be a while.

Incase you are wondering the Kahr would be replacing my CS9 which I have had for a while.

Oh, I usually carry IWB around 1 o'clock or so, but with the Kahr I will be trying IWB a 4 o'clock or so. For back up use, it would either be strapped to a vest (under uniform shirt), put in cargo pants side pocket, or maybe in the 5.11 duty shirt ("hidden breast pocket") if I get them?

Thanks for any constructive input.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a PM9, my wife has the P9. Either works very well for CCW. My wife steals my PM pretty frequently, which should give you some idea of which pistol is preferred.

The PM9 is small, very small. I can wear it in a pocket holster all day long. The P9 pretty much calls for a belt holster of some kind.

I wouldn't want to only have the PM9, as the recoil does get to me after about 50 rounds or so. For CCW, I really like having the PM9, as it's my carry gun when I don't want to be bothered carrying a gun. BSW
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry my PM9 daily. I use a Blade-tec Tuckable IWB Ultimate concealment holster. I have to wear business/casual at work and this limits my options. I had a P9 and I liked it very much. It was an older one so I upgraded to the "elite" trigger...that is standard on the PM9. The newer P9 may also have it as the standard now. I sold my P9 to a good friend and he carries it daily. I did not like the smaller 6 shot mag at first but now I have shot with it a great deal and I have no problems. I have close to 5000 rounds down the pipe and it works great. I did have a unit that was recalled and they simply polished the feed ramp. I was very happy with their customer service and had night sights installed when it was in. Be sure to run a couple hundred rounds through it before you carry it. They really work great and mine was fine out of the box. The break in period has been a big issue for some folks. I can say that you will not be dissapointed with either model.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a P9 and love it. I have owned a K40, and found it way too heavy.

I really wanted to get a PM9, but they are just too small for my hands. My hands aren't all that big, but very thick, especially thru the web. I tried shooting a PM9 and just couldn't get comfortable with it.

I still may buy one as even a gun that's too small to shoot well is better than no gun at all, if you need it.

I am very anxious to see one of the new Kahr P-45's.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two K9's and a MK9.  I like both and both are 100% reliable with 115 gr ammo.  However, the K9 will choke on 124 gr golden saber ammo.  The MK feeds it fine.  The K9's were even sent back to Kahr to see if they could solve the 124 gr problem.  Still will not feed reliably.

Others may not have  this problem but  both of mine do.  I don't know if the P9's have the same issue, but if you plan on carrying 124 gr ammo you should definately carry something other than a K9.

Regarding the shorter grip on the MK9, I don't find it a problem.  I also have a P40 covert ( barrel of a P40, Grip of a PM40).   This one is controllable but it is a bit snappy with carry ammo.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a standard P9; a P9 covert, and a MK9.  The P9 I use for backpacking mostly; normally carry the covert in a "smart carry" abdominal holster; MK9 I use as a backup if the covert is down for any reason.  I think the Covert offers best of both worlds; a bit more sight radius and controlability with the concealability of the short grip.  I don't find the short grip an issue, and my daughter has shot all three since she was 13 without any problems.  Hence, I think it a bit humorous when I hear big husky folks worrying about recoil.

Covert has been a bit tempermental on feeding; much longer breakin than other two but now fine.  I"ve run close to 3000 rounds through the MK 9; did have to replace recoil spring at about 2500 rounds.  Also sheared the composite steel/nylon magazine catch on the P9 using aftermarket magazines.  No problems with Kahr factory mags.

Good guns; reliable, shoot well, very concealable; nicely made.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
For just IWB carry go with the P9, if you want to pocket carry some get the PM9.
I have two K9s and they work great IWB. I will probably get a PM9 soon to pocket carry some.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So anybody want to share their experience with owning/carrying both of them. Did you tend to carry one more than the other? If so, why? I guess this would apply to the steel versions also. Or did you buy one, and wish you had purchased the other.

Oh, I usually carry IWB around 1 o'clock or so, but with the Kahr I will be trying IWB a 4 o'clock or so. For back up use, it would either be strapped to a vest (under uniform shirt), put in cargo pants side pocket, or maybe in the 5.11 duty shirt ("hidden breast pocket") if I get them?

Thanks for any constructive input.

Rosco,

I went back and forth on both and ended up with the P9.  Years later, if I had to make the decision again, I would still stick with my P9 over its smaller or steel siblings.  On duty it rides in a B.U.G. pouch, and offduty it is used for deep concealment or when my G19 is too large.  As you can see from the below picture, I had to throw a Hogue jr grip on my P9 as it was a little too thin for my hands.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the advice. here
I was thinking the PM9 would be perfect for BUG on-duty, but I will try the P9 first and see how it works.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I don't quite fit your criteria because I only own the PM9. I can tell you that the grip is reasonably comfortable
and I have relatively large hands. My first range session consisted of 200 rounds of standard pressure 9mm and
40 rounds of +p corbons. I had no trouble with control or recoil. Recovery time was a little slow shooting offhand
unsupported. This gun is AWESOME, and shoots far better than it has any right to.

Sam
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I am going to get the PM9 so I will have more carry options as it will by back up gun. The P9 is almost as big as my primary weapon, the GLOCK 19.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top