Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2011 6:52:23 PM EDT
I had a PF9 before, traded it, missed it, then traded for another one this weekend.

Literally every other shot wouldn't go off.

The firing pin hits the primer like a rimfire, way over in the corner of the bullet and it looks light.

I don't see how this gun left the factory if they test fire, I couldn't get 2 bullets in a row to go off.

Kind of sucks

I hope Kel Tec customer service is a good as they say it is, kind of disappointed this gun left the

factory with such an obvious and serious problem.

How do I go about contacting them? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure to visit this website:

www.ktog.org

Lots of good info on KelTec products and their customer service.

BK
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
With the firing pin hitting the edge of the primer can indicate the pistol is not completely in battery.  This could be an ammunition issue or possible improper chamber dimensions or out of spec breach face.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Well aside from possible Limp-Wristing while firing, actually a very common problem with small fram full power handguns, you will need to call KT customer service. DO NOT email, CALL them ON THE PHONE. They will literally bend over backwards to make things right for ou. Just contact them and go from there. Good luck. I love my PF9 and have not had one hiccup since purchase.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I had similar problems with mine.  I checked the KTOG forum and did the fluff n buff.  When initially taking the firing pin out I found the firing pin and firing pin channel was gummed up (like this on a new gun!!).  I cleaned it all up, did the FNB and it works like a champ now.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 5:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

way over in the corner of the bullet

I couldn't get 2 bullets in a row to go off.

There's your problem, you're putting the ammo in backwards...
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had similar problems with mine.  I checked the KTOG forum and did the fluff n buff.  When initially taking the firing pin out I found the firing pin and firing pin channel was gummed up (like this on a new gun!!).  I cleaned it all up, did the FNB and it works like a champ now.

There is no reason why a gun buyer should have to fix what Kel-Tec should have done at the factory, before the gun is shipped.  I guess you get what you pay for...
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no reason why a gun buyer should have to fix what Kel-Tec should have done at the factory, before the gun is shipped.  I guess you get what you pay for...

wow blatant and ignorant kt hate. thank you for helping to answer the ops question.  even lemon glocks leave the factory.  its unfortunate but it happens.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Casimir.  I had the same problem with mine. Seems to be a fairly common problem.  I cleaned my firing pin channel but that only made it fire a few more shots before it would light strike. The firing pin strikes were way off center as well.  I think this is due to the firing pin channel being drilled wrong.  I contacted Kel Tec, send them my slide and barrel.  With in a week, I had a new slide and barrel at my front door. I will admit, I haven't really tried it out yet, but I did fire 14 rounds (Rem UMC HP) of the ammo I had ther most trouble with. All went bang and strikes seemed pretty centered now.

It's easy to be upset with Kel Tec for letting a gun go out like this, but they will make it right. -Actually, now that I think about it.... Before i send it, I convinced myself that it would be ok if I only bought Federal ammunition.  For what I read, this ammo has soft primers and I did NOT have light strike with it...The empty case from the round they used to test fire, if I remember correctly, is a Federal.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are plenty of high-dollar guns that have problems that are user fixable as well......that should have been done at the factory.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are plenty of high-dollar guns that have problems that are user fixable as well......that should have been done at the factory.

yyyyep.

Just remember, firearms companies don't make guns just to make guns, they do it to make a profit.
Ever minute that gun spends in in a worker's hands being "fluffed and buffed" is another minute of wages and lost production.
If they spend the extra time, those expenses will either come out of their profit margin or be passed onto the customer.
Which of those do you think is more likely to happen...?

I go over every new gun that I buy, smoothing parting lines and sharp edges and such.  KelTec, Glock, S&W, they all get it, it's just a matter of degrees...
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hey Casimir.  I had the same problem with mine. Seems to be a fairly common problem.  I cleaned my firing pin channel but that only made it fire a few more shots before it would light strike. The firing pin strikes were way off center as well.  I think this is due to the firing pin channel being drilled wrong.  I contacted Kel Tec, send them my slide and barrel.  With in a week, I had a new slide and barrel at my front door. I will admit, I haven't really tried it out yet, but I did fire 14 rounds (Rem UMC HP) of the ammo I had ther most trouble with. All went bang and strikes seemed pretty centered now.

It's easy to be upset with Kel Tec for letting a gun go out like this, but they will make it right. -Actually, now that I think about it.... Before i send it, I convinced myself that it would be ok if I only bought Federal ammunition.  For what I read, this ammo has soft primers and I did NOT have light strike with it...The empty case from the round they used to test fire, if I remember correctly, is a Federal.

Thanks, they sent me parts to "fix" it but its still doing the same thing, I'm going to just send it back to them.

At least they are friendly

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, they sent me parts to "fix" it but its still doing the same thing, I'm going to just send it back to them.

At least they are friendly

Cas:  let us know how this turns out,  very interested!  bill boy
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow.  I have 2 PF9s.  One for me and one for the wife.  I have fired both of them repeatedly with WWB FMJs, Blaser aluminum rounds, and various other cheap range rounds.  Two full mags of Hornady FTX through each and absolutely zero problems.  I guess I got two pistols that were QC'd, huh.

I also have a P32 that eats any and everything fed to it, including Hydro-shocks.  The PMR30 is the sweetest .22 mag I've ever owned.

Guess I'm lucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top