Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/2/2006 2:09:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2006 2:13:14 AM EST by 580DBF]
Took a new P99c with the AS (conv. DA/SA) trigger to the range, with the wife for an initial firing and eval.

It was kind of cold out, and there were several hunters sighting in, so we didn't stay all that long. I had taken a couple of other guns, and we shot those as well, but the one that is relevant was a PPK/S for the wife to compare the P99 with. In another thread, I had mentioned that she had looked at the P99 when I got it home and wanted to shoot it.

First impressions:

I bought the P99 out of curiosity. I wanted to see how it differed from other guns with similar striker actions, and how it held up to my impressions of other Walthers I have owned. Besides, I 'needed' another 9mm pistol.

First, the grip. While I personally like how it fits my hand, others with larger hands might not like it as much. Those with smaller hands might like it more. I have not tried the other two grip adjusters that came with it, and just stuck with what it came with, so far. It feels better, to me, with the finger grip on the mag, as opposed to without. The extra apparent length is the deciding factor, as the finger grip gives just enough more length to make it the favored one, IMO. YMMV.

Trigger: I compared the DA/SA trigger pull to some other DA/SA semi-auto's, and the Walther came out very favorably. This was actually somewhat surprising to me, as I had expected some others to be better in comparison. I'm not mentioning these other guns as I don't want to get into a brand-bashing, caliber-whining shit fest, and I intend to do some more research on this in a direct one-on-one lineup.

Sights: The ones on this gun are standard white three-dot sights, which are common these days. They work fine. There are (maybe) better systems out there, but hey, for the price, I think they are as good as I'm going to get, are serviceable, and what more can you ask?

Function: As I mentioned, it was a bit cool out, the range was busy, and the wife was chilly, so I didn't get to thrash the gun out like I normally would. In any case, I only got 100 rounds of 115gr Federal FMJ down range. Not enough for a real test, and I didn't do my normal accuracy checks from the bench. Everything I did was offhand at 25 yards, and I started out with a clean gun.

Comments:

No malfs of any kind. This isn't as unusual as some might think, but I was pleased. This is always a good sign in a new pistol. Again, when I get another four or five hundred rounds through it, I'll know for sure.

Magazines were a bit tough to get the last few rounds in, but it was cool out, and that has an effect. I think this just takes some getting used to, and it's not a problem.

The thing shoots well. My impressions are that it will do very well from the bench, when I get around to that. It points well, the sights are easy and fast to align, and the recoil is very manageable. Double taps are easy to keep in the black on a B-27 target at 25 yards. This also bodes well for further use.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it, based on this admittedly short time at the range. I think, with more practice, I'll like it even more. As I get used to it, I expect my personal accuracy to improve. I like the DA trigger, and although the take up in SA is long, it is effortless and just takes a little getting used to. It doesn't affect anything other than mentally, and had no effect on how I shot. It is an easy gun to like, IMO, and I'm glad I bought it. It's not a heavy gun, and I think it would carry very well.

Unfortunately, my wife liked it, too. She's not as recoil tolerant as I am, (big surprise) but it didn't bother her too much, especially when I had her shoot a .380 PPK/S for comparison. She didn't like the recoil on the .380, as it hits her harder in the web, due to the grip there, and the blowback action. Not really a big surprise, and that was exactly why I took that particular gun with us. I think it's possible that I may lose my claim on the P99 at some point in the near future, but that's ok too, as I have other options anyway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:47:04 AM EST
Well if you should loose the P99c to your wife.... go buy a full size P99/AS in 9mm
just a few pointers..... the Trigger will get only better over time..... if you want a fast improvement on it, go stick a snapcap in and pull the trigger for 500 times... then take the sweety back to the range....
The P99c mags are harder to load than others... but that too will go away if you load them up a few times.....
You are right about the SA uptake on the P99/P99c, but on the other hand if you shoot them (P99's) and just let the trigger go forward far enough to reset, you might come to find out that the uptake isn't that long from that point
If you are looking for extra mags with finger extension..... go order some $20 regular mags from CDNN and buy the extension seperate... makes for about $30 a mag ....
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:04:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2006 8:06:17 PM EST by 580DBF]
Uncut,

Thanks for the tip on the mags, I just started looking for those today.

I always try to shoot them before massive accessorizing.

I almost bought a full-size, but my store was out of them in the AS configuration. Now that I have it, I think I can resist the full size, at least for a while.
Top Top