Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 11:44:35 AM EDT
Both my brother-in-law and myself got p99's in .40 and neither of us can hit were we want it to. changed the sight according to walther . mine seems to float all over the paper and my b-i-l's hits very far to the left.. i love the gun dont get me wrong it feals great and shoots well no other problems.. i have shot other P99's that shoot fine and seems everyone who has shot these guns has the same problem with not hitting the tragets.

anyone else have this prolem ?or do i just need to get to the range more and not whine so much?

BTW. new guy to sight and i love it so far.    I am really an AR guy have i have a bushy M4 and an ArmaLite AR-10T
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
try the gun off of bags and try 180 grain ammo.

I have a P99 in 9mm that still shoots low groups great but low. I have the lowest front site in there.

Contrast on my 40 all I had to do was put 4 clicks right on the gun.

I going to see if they sell a blank front sight and start filing down.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
ok i just ordered bag sets i'll try to get to the range this weekend and try it again with the 180g ammo.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Both my 9mm and .40 shot were right on target right out of the box.  

ETA: my .40 seems to prefer 180's as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I have three P99s. None "float", although my .40 was off quite a bit before I adjusted it. I think that's why someone sold it back to the store with only a box through it.

So are you new to pistols? Do you know proper sight technique? (Don't be offended, but that's the most common reason for shots to be all over the place.) How far away are you shooting?

When I was new to pistols, I wasn't very good. Now I'm usually one of the better ones on the range. Practice at 15-25yds until you're happy with the groups and then the close stuff will be very easy. Rest the butt on the bench and focus hard on the front sight and keeping it aligned, be surprised when it goes boom, and make sure you can see the flash. That's what worked for me when I was learning.

Don
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
yes i guess i am new to pistol shooting, though i have owned the gun for about a year i am just getting around to learning to really use it. (only started shooting about year and half ago) getting really good with my  M4 bushy and now my ArmaLite AR10(t). those are what i shoot most

My dad got himself a browning high power 9mm about the same time i got my M4 and i can shoot well with that, which is why i'm asking about the Walther (but i really dont know much about hand guns) enough to be safe without a doubt but not well versed in being accurate.

so really yes i know what i am doing with a hand gun. i just dont know anything Yet about the technical end of it.

BTW i am not a "Liberal" i dont get offended , esp when i people are trying to help
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from the range it seems like the groups were getting better with Rem 180grain target load at 20yrds.

the sights on this gun differ from other brands (not walthers) in that they seem to have more room for error lineing up the three white dots. the front dot seems to have alot of free space on either sife when lined up through the rear. on my dad's Browning high power the sights seem to not have as much space between the sides of the front sight and the middles of the rear. and i get better groups with that gun.

could this be a reason for what i called "float" shots?

Anyone useing the Trjicon night sights?

better or worse than the stock Walther sight?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-night-sight-set-for-walther-p99-wp01.html
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The P99 QA .40 was my first handgun and after about 3 range trips I was pulling this off with mine.

1500 rounds down the pipe now, the trigger pull is becoming much smoother and I can hit in much nicer clusters ;)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
are those good groups for the distance?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Try and not to use the dots, but use the notch and post instead.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
(SNIP)

Anyone useing the Trjicon night sights?

better or worse than the stock Walther sight?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-night-sight-set-for-walther-p99-wp01.html

My P99QA Titanium .40 groups well and fast on target, thanks in part, to the OEM sights due to the very generous amount of space in the rear sight notch that allows me to pick up the front sight quickly.

My P99AS Military 9mm has a pair of Trijicons that work very well on the gun.  No grouping problems with it either.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Both my 9mm and .40 were right on out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
my .40 shoots damn near as good as my 92fs.   nice groupings right in the middle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
are those good groups for the distance?

Well I think for me as back then I was just starting out I did fairly well ;)  However like I said I'm getting much better with my groupings.. that was close to 6 months ago now.  However, I can shoot my 1911 MUCH better ;P
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
40s tend to be harder to get tight groups than 9s and 45s (in my opinion / experience)...getting a good stance and grip is as important as sight alignment and picture.  If you're shooting close and it's all over the place, it's probably stance/grip/alignment, in that order.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have heard that Mepro nightsights are "better" than Tijicon's
I just go by hear say... but I know you can get the Mepro's  at Arizona gunruners for like 70$
I have 3 P99's and that's what I am going to pu ton at least one my P99c
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember I gave my friend my 9mm P99QA OD (2nd Gen) one of his first times shooting.  He was pretty good with my PPK .22 so I figured he would like to shoot a bigger gun.  He couldn't put any of about 30 bullets on paper on the first yellow line (maybe 10-15 feet).  It was the damndest thing.  I mean, I get big, terrible groups all over the paper, but he couldn't hit anything.

My (now stolen) AC41 P-38 was a MUCH better range gun, although it had a rough bore, almost no rifling, and it was 50 years older than my P99.  Given good ball ammo, it was reliable, and more accurate than it should have been.

Anyway, my groups are terrible, normally spanning the whole target, and a few off to the side.  I don't shoot much, but I can get really good groups with all my other handguns.  My 1952 Argentine Army .45 despite a few flyers low-left, prints good groups, as does my 67 PPK in .22.  My M1 Carbine...  Is not really a pistol.  But it shoots almost better than I can.

Has anyone changed their sights and noticed a difference?  Should I just spend all my money on 9mm and just stick it out?

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Stick it out......
I love my 9mm..... and my .40S&W aint bad neither.......
just make sure you got a tight grip ....

How do you like your .22lr PPK...
I am looking into a PP in .22lr and still debating if I should or not as I am a lil strapped cashwise right now ... but is's a deal I almost can't pass
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Stick it out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#19]
If its an original German one, I'd say buy it.  My dad the PPK a long time ago and since he bought it, its been run over, left in the woods, left in the rain, left under a barn, probably had all manner of things spilled all over it, and I'm sure its been shot a lot, and it is still accurate enough to shoot a 50 ml vodka bottle a good toss away.  hough,
Justinok34, uncut, alright.  I'll stick it out.  I'd much rather spend that money on ammo and range time anyway. hippie.gif  I like to keep a solid grip.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I swear I love my P99 9mm..... though my P99c in 9mm is my favorite right now.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top