Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2015 11:45:26 AM EDT
Picked one up in a deal, In the box with manual, shot about 20 times. Looks brand new 55xxx serial #. Whats the story on them. Any info would be great.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
" />
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
They were discontinued due to too many returns.  The pistol has to be held very firmly as the slide just doesn't have the mass for inertia to carry it very far.  The slightest bit of "limp wristing" will cause a failure to feed or eject.  They are a handful!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't have any trouble holding it but my finger would release the mag after a couple rounds.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I loved my P11 in 9mm , couldn't imagine a P40 being any kinds of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The P40 is the only gun I hate to shoot.  I love .40 S&W and never felt that much difference between it and a 9mm in terms of recoil.  The P40 makes me think "is this what people hate about .40?"  

That said, I hope you like it and if you do you will have a great carry piece.  Best of luck and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had one just about since they came out. Doesn't get shot much, mostly a safe queen. They don't like 180 gr loads. I stippled mine about 14 years ago, wish I hadn't of done it. Oh well too late now. Get some ammo that isn't 180 gr and enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I know this is an old thread, but still on the first page, so what the hell.

I had a P40 for a while, it was terrible.  Recoil was as bad as is generally said, but that wasn't the problem.  The problem is that the gun was unreliable and multiple trips to the KT factory didn't fix the issues.  The biggest issue was that the nose of the bullet could (and often did) slam into the bottom of the feed ramp when chambering.  This would cause a smile shaped divot in the bullet and could potentially push it back into the case causing a serious over pressure situation.  KT was aware of the problem and two trips back to the factory they failed to fix the issue.  On the third trip back they replaced all the .40 parts with 9x19mm parts and turned it into a P11 for me (at my request).  The only way to actually see this problem was to eject an unfired round that entered the chamber after firing the previous round, it didn't show up with manual chambering.   It leaves me wondering how many P40s have been lost to KBs after a lightly crimped bullet pushed into the case when chambering.

The "smile" problem was well known at the time, the K-TOG forum was alive with people talking about the "P40 Smile" back in the late 90s.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I unloaded mine. I could not shoot it without my hand somehow hitting the mag release from the recoil and farting the mag out. Not a real reliable situation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a lot of issues as did/does the P11. First off it is a .40SW built on a small 9mm frame with just chages to the ejector, barrel chamber and mag. The 9mm based frame was never designed to handle the extra power and garin weight of .40SW. This caused feeding, extraction, recoil, controlablity issues. Never should have been offered in .40SW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top