Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2006 1:37:44 PM EST
OK this is for my roommate. He has one of the traget model P22's. It tends to jam up when cycling. It only does it when chambering a new round. I pulled it all apart and cleaned the hell out of it. I started playing with it and noticed that it hangs up even when not cycling the round. A gentle push forward on the slide will let it finish the cycle. The hammer is actually hanging up on the slide. There is a small gap between the safety? and the slide itself. There are no burrs that I can see or feel.

Any one else had this problem? Any solutions besides oil or grease?Suggestions?

Any help appreciated as always!
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 5:19:24 PM EST
There's multiple threads in the Walther forum for P22 problems. Sorry to say, you may have to wade through them in order to find some answers.

A pity these guns don't run as well as they look.............
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 11:53:16 AM EST
Walther said they are aware of the problem. My roommate will be returning it for repairs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 5:37:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By bogus:
Walther said they are aware of the problem.

In related news, water is wet..........................
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 9:23:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 11:18:06 AM EST
I purchased my used Walther 22 a few weeks back and took it out for the first time yesterday. At first I was upset I tried if I recall American Eagle brand ammo which turned out to be shitty Federal ammo after reading the fine print. The gun was not cycleing the next round, rounds were failing to eject all the bad things that could go wrong did. I was smart enough to buy small quantities of various kinds of ammo and I am glad that I did. After getting through the shitty sstuff I had little hope but I loaded up 10 mags worth of Remmington Subsonics and to my amazement the gun functioned perfectly on every round. This made me feel a little better, I think tried 10 mags worth of Remmington Cyclones and again 100% of the time. So after firing 280 rounds through the gun in one day and having shitty luck with one kind of ammo and 200 flawless rounds I would suggest people try different kinds of ammo before calling it a defect if you have not done that already. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 11:56:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By ralphie14:
I purchased my used Walther 22 a few weeks back and took it out for the first time yesterday. At first I was upset I tried if I recall American Eagle brand ammo which turned out to be shitty Federal ammo after reading the fine print. The gun was not cycleing the next round, rounds were failing to eject all the bad things that could go wrong did. I was smart enough to buy small quantities of various kinds of ammo and I am glad that I did. After getting through the shitty sstuff I had little hope but I loaded up 10 mags worth of Remmington Subsonics and to my amazement the gun functioned perfectly on every round. This made me feel a little better, I think tried 10 mags worth of Remmington Cyclones and again 100% of the time. So after firing 280 rounds through the gun in one day and having shitty luck with one kind of ammo and 200 flawless rounds I would suggest people try different kinds of ammo before calling it a defect if you have not done that already. Just my $.02

there's an almost 10 page post on how to decrapify your P22.

something tells me it ain't the ammo.

btw, I have one too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 1:22:15 PM EST
I've been getting my girlfriend in to shooting lately. She wasn't comfortable with any of my larger guns, so she purchased a P22 to learn the basics on.

The good part, is that we both like the little gun - as far as the feel and looks. Also, we had no problems with the rear sight moving, or the safety trying to come on - as others have.

Thing wouldn't run for shit on the American Eagle/Federal stuff. We put 200 rounds through it anyway. We had a failure just about every round. The plus side is she learned how to properly clear a jam, a failure to eject, failrue to feed..etc..!!! Unfortunately, we didn't have any other .22 ammo with us to try different brands/loads.

As the person above stated, I am going to try some different ammo before I break the dremel out and start modifiying it. From what it was doing, I think some hotter ammo would cycle the gun properly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:04:09 AM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By rob78:
there's an almost 10 page post on how to decrapify your P22.

something tells me it ain't the ammo.

btw, I have one too.

I know I have read it, since mine functions perfectly without modification I am just offereing something else to try before going through the changes that are mentioned in that thread hence why I said to try it unless he already has.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 8:53:32 AM EST
Do you have a link to that 10 page post? I did a search and nothing came up. Maybe the key words I used weren't the best?
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 9:34:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2006 9:36:08 AM EST by rob78]

Originally Posted By bogus:
Do you have a link to that 10 page post? I did a search and nothing came up. Maybe the key words I used weren't the best?

Handgun

Walther

­
tacked post at top of page (used to be anyway)

eta: I too have the target version and have problems with hammer follow on occasion. Not that big of deal to me as I need to practice my DA trigger pull as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 7:19:28 AM EST
Thanks I didn't even see it pinned up there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 5:46:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2006 2:03:03 AM EST by NFA-Dan]
Well, the girlfriend and I made it back to the range today with the P22 and some new ammo. I took a couple boxes of CCI Mini-Mags and CCI Stingers. Both ran absolutely flawless. Not a single hang up, failure to feed, or misfire. Put 100 rounds of each through it. Just to make sure last weekend wasn't a fluke, I loaded up a mag of the Federal/American Eagle stuff. It made it through the first eight, and then failed to eject on the last two. Didn't even try anymore of it after the previous failures.

It's funny with the Stingers, it is almost like shooting a different pistol. Completely different sound and feel. Since the Mini-Mags cycle it just fine, I don't see an real point in using the Stingers though.

That makes 400 rounds through it in two weekends, and "knock on wood", none of the other problems I have read about - with the magazines, safety, sights, etc....

Just thought I would put an update out there. The little gun is definitely picky about ammo, but much more of a pleasure to shoot with ammo that works.

Dan.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 10:13:30 AM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By NFA-Dan:
Well, the girlfriend and I made it back to the range today with the P22 and some new ammo. I took a couple boxes of CCI Mini-Mags and CCI Stingers. Both ran absolutely flawless. Not a single hang up, failure to feed, or misfire. Put 100 rounds of each through it. Just to make sure last weekend wasn't a fluke, I loaded up a mag of the Federal/American Eagle stuff. It made it through the first eight, and then failed to eject on the last two. Didn't even try anymore of it after the previous failures.

It's funny with the Stingers, it is almost like shooting a different pistol. Completely different sound and feel. Since the Mini-Mags cycle it just fine, I don't see an real point in using the Stingers though.

That makes 400 rounds through it in two weekends, and "knock on wood", none of the other problems I have read about - with the magazines, safety, sights, etc....

Just thought I would put an update out there. The little gun is definitely picky about ammo, but much more of a pleasure to shoot with ammo that works.

Dan.

Gald to hear things went well I am in the same boat mine works just fine on good ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:08:51 PM EST
You know, I don't see why these companies can't make a .22 that runs rather reliably, and doesn't fall apart (safety, sights, etc.). Honestly, I don't think many of us would mind if they increased the price a bit as long as we get a better running pistol in the end.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:59:07 AM EST
I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine has almost 25k of CCI sub-sonic down the tube without a problem unless it is REALLY dirty(6-7k suppressed and I start getting FT extract). I designed the suppressor adaptor because the one I purchased from a well known manufactory would hang-up at the wrench flats on the slide when it cycled.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:04:27 AM EST
I purchased a used one and put 500 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts through it with zero malfunctions. Tried one 50 round box of Winchester Wildcats and ended up throwing them away. I could not get through 5 rounds in a row without a problem.

I don't know if the previous owner had "de-crapfied" the one I had, but ammo seemed to be the only problem.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:14:19 PM EST
Few .22lr pistols, or rifles, can claim to run well on any ammo. There is a huge spectrum of .22lr ammo, and quite a bit of it falls on the crappy end. The solution is to buy a small sample of several different brands and types, and try them out.

I've always had good luck with Remington Golden bullets, and the 550 value pack at Wally world is a good deal at 9 bucks. If you are having trouble with function, run 100 CCI Minimags through, and see if problems are still there. If they are, then the problem is not ammo related.

There are a few modifications to the gun you can make that will help reduce drag, wear and improve performance across the board. Namely, deburring and polishing the trigger disconnect ears and, if needed, reprofiling the hammer. Polishing feed ramps is another popular modification, although I've never seen the need. It is also fairly easy to remove the magazine safety, if that bugs you.

At the top of this forum there is a good thread about ways to modify the p22. For more indepth help, I suggest the Walther forum at Rimfirecentral.com . There are several excellent photo guides and even the guy who designed the pistol is a member. There is always a project going on among the members to look for improvements to the gun (current one is improving extraction direction by fashioning a new extractor). If you have a question, thats the place to go.

-Local
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:39:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2006 1:41:19 PM EST by manowar669]
Mine's an AF (later) marked one (already has the rounded hammer contour which should eliminate the problem you describe, but I "helped" it anyway), and I performed the mods listed here and also at rimfirecentral.com (especially detailed intructions w/pics here). I removed the mag safety (stupid device anyway). This greatly improves trigger pull, just like with the Browning HP.

Mine has been flawless since, and has become my favorite gun, especially with my Pilot installed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:12:44 PM EST
I have two Walther P22s; one has an"AE" date code (2004) and the other has "AF" (2005).

They both run 100% with no modification(s).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/PC010002.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/Catbird1/WaltherP22-Pics013-1.jpg
Top Top