Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 7:06:03 PM EDT
I am considering getting one of these pistols but know little about them.

Looked at the manual and saw no reference to dry firing (might have missed it I guess.)

Does anyone out there know if it is recommended or safe to dry fire these pistols?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I dry fire mine.  The annoying part is the mag disconnect, so you have to have a mag seated to dry fire.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Just as a general rule I wouldn't dry fire any rimfire, unless the manufacturer says its okay.  Even then I probably wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've dry fired mine quite a bit and have not noticed any metal peening.

BTW, QUIT THINKING AND START BUYING!  That little P22 is one of the coolest .22s ever made.  It's accurate, reliable, and looks just like a teeny tiny uber-tactical combat pistol.

Get the teeny, tiny laser too.  It is the schiznit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Put the safety on and pull the trigger...

It blocks the firing pin
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Or you could just buy .22 snap caps.

One of several types on the market.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd suggest reading the reviews at that link before buying.

I use snap caps (a different type, mine are blue) in my P22, but only for loading/unloading demonstrations.  I don't dry-fire with them, because I think the firing pin would beat the crap out of the snap caps.

It's much different than a centerfire snap cap, which has the little rubbery piece where the firing pin hits.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dry fire mine.  The annoying part is the mag disconnect, so you have to have a mag seated to dry fire.

I removed mine along with the internal lock

Quoted:
Put the safety on and pull the trigger...

It blocks the firing pin

Correct

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd suggest reading the reviews at that link before buying.

I use snap caps (a different type, mine are blue) in my P22, but only for loading/unloading demonstrations.  I don't dry-fire with them, because I think the firing pin would beat the crap out of the snap caps.

It's much different than a centerfire snap cap, which has the little rubbery piece where the firing pin hits.

I didn't bother to read the reviews- just linked the first ones I found on Google as an example.  I know several manufacturers make them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I removed mine along with the internal lock

+1 on the mag disconnect. left the trigger lock tho.

the guns are SUPER simple to take completely apart. only tools needed are 1/8" pin punch and hammer, and a #1 phillips screwdriver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top