Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2002 1:37:28 PM EDT
I have a W.German Sig P226 in 9mm.  I want to carry this for duty use in 40S&W.  My question is does anyone know if it is possible to replace the oldschool stamped slide with a new machined stainless one so I can make the caliber switch?  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically this should pose no real problem IMHO as you're swapping slides. As far as I recall the sizes of both slides are similar only big difference is in the barrel area (.40S&W has a wider breech - because of the higher pressures).
But I'm gonna give my contact at J.P. Sauer & Sohn (Eckernforde Germany) a call to be 100% sure and update this reply when I have a final answer.

Update:
Just been on the phone with Sauer company and basically there's no problem in swapping out entire slides. Yet they suggest to go through a certified SIGsmith to get a propper slide-to-frame fit.

Edited because of the above update.

C-2-6
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the mag profile different for the .40 than the 9mm though?  I know the mag profile, and consequently the mag well shape itself, is different between the 9mm and .40 P229.  The .40 and 9mm mags are not the same mag.  I would assume that the mags would be of similar type for the P226, just longer.  I'd check into this a bit more.

The cost of the parts may be of concern as well.  It may be better economically to just sell the 9mm and get a new whole .40.  

Ross
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is the mag profile different for the .40 than the 9mm though? ... I would assume that the mags would be of similar type for the P226, just longer.  

For the P226 there are no differences between 9mm and 40S&W mags profilewize. They are both of the same size/width and are fully interchangeable. You might even get a 30rd "9mm" mag and top it off with 40S&W for some added firepower (if you were legally allowed to).
I think you got it mixed up with the P229. In that case the 40S&W/375SIG mags are a bit wider in the lower part of the magbody so they can't be used in a 9mm P229. The opposite is possible: 9mm P229 mags will fit a 40/375 P229.

Just my 2 Eurocents

C-2-6
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, you're right.  I was thinking P229.  At one time I had a P229 in .40 and in 9mm.  They were two very different guns.  You couldn't even swap slides on them.  

Ross
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
That may not be a great idea depending on when your SiG 226 was made. The 226 frame was never designed for the 40S&W or the 357SiG and they had some slide failures with the earliest mods. I think that Chris has some info on when they beefed up the 226 slides on his FAQ.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My P226 is stamped "Made in W. Germany" so I think it is one of the older ones.  Maybe you are right about the weak frame.  I will look into buying a new one.  Good excuse to get another Sig!  

Thanks everyone for your input.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top