Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:19:54 PM EDT
Got to handle a P2000 SK the other day.  Got to have one.  Don't have the luxury of test firing either one.  Any advice?

I've got a USP and a USP Tac both in .45 ACP.  Am leaning towards the .40, but have been told be a few people that, "With as short of a bbl as the P2K SK has, a 9MM would be a better choice.  The SK bbl is a bit to short for the .40 to reach optimum velocities to allow reliable expansion in a hollowpoint."

This sounds good in theory, but I still believe that a .40 will get up to speed to do some damage.  This SK will be used for carry, so I would'nt even be using it at extended ranges even if the above statement was true.  I have a feeling also that a .40 will provide less "snappy" of a recoil than the 9MM.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think SK has too short of a barrel even for a 9mm +P+ cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:58:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Let’s cut thought the myths.

The 9mm will serve you perfect.  The .40 will serve you perfect.  The .45ACP will serve you perfect.  It's all how you use and shoot the pistol.  I recommend to people shoot what your most accurate with and practice a lot.  It's also good to take classes on how to use your pistol.  
A pistol is a tool and no matter how good your tool is, you still need to know how to use it.  I often tell people if you had one tool that could take apart and put back a motor could you do it.  No, they need training on how to use that tool.  It's the same with a pistol.  Every one can pull a trigger, but it takes years to develop combat skills or defense skills and to maintain those skills.

If I were back in the Marines and was heading into combat I would have liked to take my HK Tactical .45 with 12 rounds ball ammo.  I can’t walk around town with a Tactical strapped to the side of my leg and ball ammo that over penetrates.  I need to conceal and carry everyday.  It needs to be light and easy to shoot. The ammo needs to fragmate and stop in the target.  I want the ammo to hit a barrier and stop.  I am not law enforcement and don’t need to shoot through glass or doors or any other barrier. The pistol is last resort defensive only, a family protector.  

The HKP2000SK:

The HK P2000SK is a defensive pistol.  Although, the HK P2000SK has proven to be as accurate as most full size pistols.  This leads me to the velocity stripping barrel length.  This is a blown out of per portion.  Yes, shorter barrels do take away some velocity, but not as much as people are led to believe.

Here is Remington’s ballistics.
They used a 4" barrel
Golden Saber 124      muzzle 1125              50' 1031
Golden Saber 124 +p muzzle 1180              50' 1089

Hk P2000SK
Velocity tested 15'
Golden Saber 124                        15' 1060
Golden Saber 124 +p                   15' 1087

I believe that the Velocities at 15' are probably going to be in the same range. Even the difference from Remington’s muzzle velocity and test results at 15' are not far off and will not make much of a difference.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 9mm Luger +P Short Barrel 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point:

www.miragetechnologies.net/SPEER%20Gold%20Dot%20SB.htm

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=216634

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
So I see that 9MM is the preferd choice?  There is a gun range kinda close that has a lot of Glocks you can rent.  I'll try to find a .40 and a 9MM in a subcompact so I can get as close to a comparison as possible.

Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I just picked uo a .40 P2k SK. The recoil is very manageable. Nothing that practice will not correct.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#6]
personally, I like the 9mm. But when it comes to the big 3 calibers, either one can effectively stop a badguy, it will all come down to what you like
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
.357sig

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the .40.

But...it is definitely a loud bugger.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone used the magazine disconnect or decocker on the P2000?  

I'm debating between the P2000 and the new S&W M&P.  Any suggestions?

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top