Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2005 1:43:58 PM EDT
Hello: Took my P1 out to the range this weekend to finally test fire it.  Had a problem- the slide did not always return to battery after it was fired(on recoil) so needless to say, only put a few rounds through it.  When I took it home I F/S'd and everything looks good.  What could it be, is it something I can fix or should I take it to the smithy?  Thanks in advance, john
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
To be exact:
You fired the gun and the slide failed to close completely? (Slide ALMOST closed but not quite).

OR, the round failed to feed into the chamber all the way? (Round caught between the slide with the bullet nose pointing up into the roof of the chamber).

Things to do.
1. Try a different brand/type of ammo.  Some guns just don't "like" all ammo.  These guns were designed to fire round nosed, full metal jacketed, 125 grain ammo.
2. Try a different magazine.
3. CLEAN and lube both the gun and magazine.  Some of these guns have sat in armories for 30 to 40 years and the lube has dried out or gummed up.
4. Possibly the gun just hasn't been broken in yet.
5. Well used gun?  Possibly weak recoil springs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You were not using Blazer ammo by chance were you?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I was using American Eagle 115 Grn. FMJ.  It was feeding fine, just the slide wasn't going back to lock up after it had fired.  You could actually push the slide forward and then it would lock up.  It didn't do it on every single round fired but about half.  Thanks for helping me out.  john
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a good cleaning & oiling would solve the problem, IMO. Personally, I don't believe there's such a thing as "too much oil". The excess will always shake off from the recoil.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the good info.  Sorry I didn't respond quicker, been out doing pistol and rifle training for the last 4 days.  Thanks again, John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top