Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 11:30:42 PM EDT
A friend of mine is getting his first handgun. He wants the Taurus 92SPL. It's a nice looking gun. I tried to convince him to get the Beretta 92FS, but he insists on the Taurus. Anyone here have first hand experience with it? Reliability? Accuracy? Does it use Beretta magazines?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:46:24 PM EDT
The Taurus is a decent pistol and the frame mounted safety is better than the slide mounted Beretta safety, but the Beretta is higher quality.  The magazines are identical to the Beretta except for the holes for the mag catch.  A little careful work with a Dremel will allow Beretta mags to work in a Taurus but even the slightest error will result in a mag that won't be reliable.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:07:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:13:52 AM EDT
The ones I have had were all fine...the PT92s and PT99s. That includes blue, satin nickel and stainless.
Workmanship on the early ones was so-so, triggers were heavy. (back when they cost $199)
The warranty was hard to beat, but never needed.
The frame mounted safety/decocker is, IMO, superior to Beretta's slide mounted safety.
That model, the 92spl looks sharp with the stainless slide and parts.
One drawback is the front sight, being silver and part of the slide, will be harder to see than a black one with the white dot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:31:51 PM EDT
I have a 99 that has seen 1500+ rounds and is still rock solid. Factory mags are cheap and plentiful at gun shows. (in Texas anyway) If he is on a budget Taurus is the way to go.
Top Top