Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2004 7:48:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/14/2004 7:49:35 PM EST by HRGlen]
Anyone own one? Do you like it? 40 cal

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:52:10 PM EST
I have a Springfield Armory XD-9, and I really do love it. It fits my hand very well, shoots accurately and reliably, and is less mainstream than, say, a Glock or Beretta. The fact that ten-round .40 S&W magazines hold (and function with) fifteen rounds of 9mm Luger ammo is just icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:55:37 PM EST
most of the reviews on them have been really good. I personally hate them though. Much perfer a glock. There was a pretty good thread on this while back. Do a search "with in a month".
Although the TAC 5incher has my interest for some reason.

Wolf
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:57:35 PM EST
Thanks, I will look there,

Sorry if its a dead horse, I usually read the ar sections only, but recently have interest in a
new pistol.

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:06:24 PM EST
I have the same gun that is pictured above and love it...
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:23:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/14/2004 8:25:35 PM EST by Mr45auto]
Glockies seem to be insecure about them. I bought one for the wife, not expecting to like it myself. It is truly what the Glock should have been. Far more advanced than the Glock and more user friendly. It has a loaded chamber indicator, a striker cocked indicator on the back and a grip safety that not only will keep the gun from firing but locks the slide as well. It also has a truly ambi mag release and stainless steel mags that drop free quickly. I shot the hell out of my wifes and really like it. It also has normal rifling so you can shoot lead without blowing up your pistol unlike the Glock. If you get the XD40 version you can buy 9mm barrels and .357 Sig barrrels and not need to replace any other parts to shoot those calibers. In the Glock you only get the .357 sig option. I doubt you'll find an XD owner that wouldnt reccomend it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:28:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/14/2004 8:40:18 PM EST by wolf-ym]
I would agree the ops on it are what a Glock should be. No doubt about that. However its still NOT a Glock. These use to sell for 250 before Springfield bought them btw. Let me see if I can hunt that thread down for you guys. Was pretty interesting and I can't sleep to what hell might as well
do something productive

Edit --- added a linky
Wolfar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=34&t=6977
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:39:41 PM EST
I have the tac 5 incher... love it love it love it love it love it love it...

I love my GLocks too... but the XD is overall a better choice for the money.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:06:15 AM EST
Had mine about 2 years now and love it. I shoot it as good or better than any other pistol I own.

Check ouw www.hs2000talk.com

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:24:53 AM EST
I've shot one and would pass on this. It's kind of a cross between a .45 and a Glock. I would rather have a .45 or a Glock. If you have the bucks checkout the HK P2000.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:52:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2004 9:58:00 AM EST by Top_prop]

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
Glockies seem to be insecure about them. I bought one for the wife, not expecting to like it myself. It is truly what the Glock should have been. Far more advanced than the Glock and more user friendly. It has a loaded chamber indicator, a striker cocked indicator on the back and a grip safety that not only will keep the gun from firing but locks the slide as well. It also has a truly ambi mag release and stainless steel mags that drop free quickly. I shot the hell out of my wifes and really like it. It also has normal rifling so you can shoot lead without blowing up your pistol unlike the Glock. If you get the XD40 version you can buy 9mm barrels and .357 Sig barrrels and not need to replace any other parts to shoot those calibers. In the Glock you only get the .357 sig option. I doubt you'll find an XD owner that wouldnt reccomend it.

+1

I got the XD .40 and love it. Think Mr45Auto may be a tad off on the switching callibers... 40 and .357 have the same head diameter, so swap the barrel out and you are business (I know a 3 gun/IPSC or whatever shooter that got tired of buying sig ammo so planned on swapping to .40) But I think you got to swap slides to swap to 9mm if you got a .357 Sig/40 S&W.

This was the only auto my wife could work the slide on, and her fingers are so frail the revolvers were not any good with the hammer down. The safties are so intuitive that I never had to teach her anything more than to make sure the grip saftey was depressed to charge it. It comes standared with a picatinny accessory rail as well (got a M-3 illuminator on mine... wish I could have gotten the M-6 so she could just put the dot on the perp and pull the trigger).

We had some weirdo stalking her just before I was about to leave on a hunting trip... we both slept better.

Edited to add: Oh and out of about 2000 rnds... I've had one malfunction... or really my brother did... he's a lefty who never shot a pistol before, and some how managed to bump the slide catch (on the left side) up while the gun was cycling... all he had to do was drop the slide catch and keep shooting. Not one real malfunction.

Its simple to dissasmble and clean. no tools required to take it down. A five year old could field strip it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:57:52 PM EST
Nope, not off on switching calibers. www.xd-gear.com/products.php?cat=8 barrels are available and I've heard from forum members here that it does indeed work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:16:49 PM EST
I have an XD40 its nice but the finish on it sucks for a carry gun. It rust all the time Im fighting a battle againt rust with it all the time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:18:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Taxman:
I have an XD40 its nice but the finish on it sucks for a carry gun. It rust all the time Im fighting a battle againt rust with it all the time.

That's the only gripe I have with mine. Finish is kind of weak, but then I can just have it redone down the line. It can't be perfect, afterall.

Just my .02, but I think it's a better pistol than Glock for a number of reasons and at least with mine, it's as accurate and reliable so I still think it to be a superior pistol with better ergos. I like having a .357sig and being able to drop a .40 or 9 barrel right in and without switching mags just rock and roll with 3 different calibers. That kicks ass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:07:43 AM EST
I had the chance to "finger" an XD 40 over the weekend and I'm definitely set on getting one now. It fit my hand perfectly. The XD feels as good as it looks
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:17:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2004 5:22:04 AM EST by wgjhsafT]
Just bought a XD subcompact in 9mm, but....

The funstore I bought it from had a used XD 40 4" barrel for $300.00. Other than the slide finish wearing its GTG. Has about 1,000 rounds through it or so they say. Might go back and buy it myslef if I can find the $$$$.

Edit to add:

That seems to be the advantage with the .40 or .357 sig series, switching the barrels out. With the .40 you can get a .357 sig barrel or even shoot 9mm with a different barrel (I don't know what else is needed).

I've also shot Glocks but never really liked how they felt in my hand. The XD points well, feels extremely soild in my hands, and everything is where it should be. The grip safety isn't even noticed when you need to fire the XD but does an extra duty of locking the slide in place when it is not depressed. This is definetely a good feature so that when you are holstering said XD you cannot knock it out of battery by putting pressure on the front of the slide unless the grip safety is somehow depressed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:50:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:
The funstore I bought it from had a used XD 40 4" barrel for $300.00. Other than the slide finish wearing its GTG. Has about 1,000 rounds through it or so they say. Might go back and buy it myslef if I can find the $$$$.

Did you by chance see this at Gander Mountain in Harrisburg? I saw a used XD 40 there for $300 this past weekend and it looked pretty good except for the slight slide wear. I really had to restrain myself from picking that one up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:53:37 AM EST
LOVE my XD-40 Service model. I have an M6 light/laser on it and it is my home defence gun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:15:00 AM EST
got 2, love them both:

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:15:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:24:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2004 6:26:05 AM EST by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By HRGlen:
Anyone own one? Do you like it? 40 cal

www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9202Large.jpg

Find a HS-2000 (I saw one on GunsAmerica a while back for $275)

Same gun (before Springfield started importing them as XDs), lower price

Personally, the hammerless trigger-safety/no-manual-safety thing doesn't appeal to me, though...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:18:23 AM EST
I have had a G17 for 10 years now and just got an XD-9 a couple of weeks ago. I bought the XD because I decided I wanted something smaller than the 17 for CCW. I originally planed to get either a G19 or G26 but I've read a lot of good things about the XD so I thought I'd try one out.

So far I've put almost 400 rounds though it but the jury is still out. I say that because the only feature it has over the Glock that I really like is the grip safety. I like this feature a lot, especially for CCW use and wish Glock would add it. Most of the other differences are either minor or personal preference IMO.

The biggest difference is the grip angle. I've read that for people who are use to 1911's, the XD grip angle is perfect. Seeing how I've owned my G17 for 10 years now, that is what I am use to and what feels "right" to me. This is a BIG issue in my book as I do not feel that it is practical for most people to switch back and forth between the two.

I lot of people say the XD's trigger is much better than the Glocks. That has not been the case for me. Maybe because my G17 trigger is pretty well broke in after all this time or maybe I got a heavier than usual XD trigger but I don't feel much difference between the two.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to decide between the two (at least for defensive purposes). It's too early to say for sure but as much as I like the grip safety I think I will end up sticking with the Glock? My thinking is... A. I already have 10 years worth of experince with it and B. Glocks long term reliability has already been proven. Long term results are not in yet for the XD's.

One final thought. Both Glock and XD's are better guns in 9mm rather than 40S&W as in both cases, the 9mm versions seem to be more reliable and problem free. This may be due to the fact that both where designed as 9mm guns first then modified to work with the .40

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:58:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By AR_Shorty:

Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

Did you by chance see this at Gander Mountain in Harrisburg? I saw a used XD 40 there for $300 this past weekend and it looked pretty good except for the slight slide wear. I really had to restrain myself from picking that one up.

Negative. Saw this at Anthony Arms in West Mifflin by the Century III Mall (south east of PGH). I too had to restrain myself from buying the XD 40 since I was alread buying a XD 9 SC. Of course my SC needs a big brother.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:41:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By Top_prop:
Its simple to dissasmble and clean. no tools required to take it down. A five year old could field strip it.

It takes me roughly 20 seconds to fully field strip and reassemble my XD9. The grip safety virtually disappears when you hold it, not interfering with your grip style at all. Every function is easily grasped without moving your hand on the grip(IE slide catch and mag release) and it is the easiest damn thing to re-obtain a target after the initial shot. I love this thing.

For the price and the beauty of it, there is nothing that I can honestly say that is wrong with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:35:44 PM EST
I had one, but I sold it.

Top heavy and too high bore axis.

Grip is comfortable, and very good gun, but I chose others.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:34:08 AM EST
I bought an XD9 SC to check out what all the hoopla was about. As it turns out I love it so much I ordered a 4" model in 357 sig. which gives me the option of havng a 4" 9 or 40 S&W at a later date.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:03:42 AM EST
I have the .40 and like it. I only have two handguns, a CZ P-01 9mm and an XD40. While I really like the XD, the CZ is my favorite.

Top Top