Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 6:55:28 AM EDT
I am looking for a cheap, small .38
My wife has been getting interested in learning to shoot, and with the way things in the world are lately, she want to have a gun around the house that she knows how to use.

The smallest thing I have (besides a .22) is my G22, which is a bit too much gun for her to start out with, and I think leaving my M4 around for a newbie in unresponsible.

So, I am thinking .38 snubby...light and easy to learn....and if she doesnt take to it, I have a backup CCW.

I looked at the ultra light ones out there (Taurus, S&W, etc)....but two things, they are expensive and the recoil will be increased since the gun is so light.

She wont be carrying for now, so it doesnt need to be really light.
I like the idea of a full size grip (which the Rossi I looked at had) so that she will have the most control of the weapon possible.

I am basically looking for a cheap simple 'instruction' .38
If she takes to it, then I will look into something with a bit more reputation and firepower.

Is the Rossi a decent starter revolver for a newbie?
Here is a pic from the website...

Thanks for your opinion
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
They are good, decent revolvers.  Had one back in the early 90's.  Always went "bang".  Don't think they are rated for +P ammo though.  Recoil is very manageable.  Accuracy was good at 10 yards or so.  They are good starter guns.  I still have a Charter Arms Undercover model 38special I carry as a back up sometimes.  Load the Rossi with Golddots for defense.  Practice with "cheap" ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Look for a 3" or 4" used S&W K-frame.  The longer sight radius and better trigger will help with accuracy and newbie encouragement, and there's a much wider array of grips available to make sure she's comfortable with it.  A 3" M13 or M65 would still be a great concealment gun, too.  Given the market, a used S&W should be in about the same price ballpark as a new Rossi with a little shopping.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one in .38spc, keyword >>HAD<<.  Nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Rossi, basically the same gun you're showing here but mine is a 357.  Decent enough I guess,  but I would spend the extra $$$ and get the Taurus.  My daughter has the M85 Ultralight and it's not bad with +P ammo.  I wouldn't want to shoot it all day but still the recoil is quite manageable.   Dang accurate to boot.

Rick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top