Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 7:53:05 PM EDT
Anyone ever tried one of these. I would like to hear the pro's and con's.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't use SOB holsters as they can cause serious spine damage if you fall on your back.  This is not an isolated occurance as I know more than one person with damaged back.  One guy injured his back without even falling.  He was a truck driver who carried a pistol using a SOB holster while working so his lower spine was always leaning on the gun.  After couple years he had pain in his constantly... even when he took off his gun/holster.  How he uses shoulder holster.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
i have one for my 1911... i don't particularly care for them because they don't conceal as well as you'd think they could.

the spine issue is legitimate, but i carried mine so the grip was off to one side of my spine. not particularly comfortable to drive w/, access is slow, but not awkward, and gun stays put.

i found happiness w/ an owb holster worn at about 4:00. even my thicker guns conceal well there (sig 229, and, i ran a full day test w/ a glock 35 in that spot, and had no issues).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, it conceals pretty well in my opinion, but not worth it for the risk of back injury.  A good IWB worn at 4:00 is advisable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep the gun on your strong side if at all possible
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Concealment was marginal, sitting was torture.  Don't do it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't use SOB holsters as they can cause serious spine damage if you fall on your back.  

+1

I tried one of these & about broke my spine just sitting in a GD chair!!!!  Never again!!!! I bet the SOB is each holster mfgr's slowest selling model??????

My.02
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the resposes guys. I took the holster back and traded it for a Galco Concealment belt holster!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the resposes guys. I took the holster back and traded it for a Galco Concealment belt holster!

Didja ask for the Navy SEAl-Mall Ninja model??????    
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer SOB holsters. They conceal the best for me
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Here we go....

I love this "DON'T USE SOB, YOU'LL BREAK YOUR BACK, MAKE THE BABY JESUS CRY AND ALL WOMEN WHO COME NEAR YOU STERILE!!!!!!"

You jokers crack me up. I try to stay off my back when I pack and I usually try to stay erect and not fall down. I don't know about you....

I have carried SOB for years. Never broke my back. Not once. Know a bunch of people who carry that way. Never broke their backs. HOWEVER, I do know someone who has shoulder injuries from carrying in a shoulder holster. And I know a guy who now has hip problems from packing on his hip. And I know a guy who now walks with a limp from packing in an ankle rig. And another guy who has hand injuries from packing in a day-planner type rig.....  Don't forget the dreaded thigh rig injuries. The list goes on.

SOB works well for some, not as well for others. That is why there are so many different ways to carry a gun. Just because it doesn't work for you, or you are afraid of that style - please don't spread bullshit conjecture about. We've seen it all before. If there were such an epidemic of spinal injuries, OSHA and CPSC would be jumping up and down about it. Just where is all this "Broken Back Syndrome from SOB carry" at? Where are all these people with broken backs from carrying a gun SOB? Maybe it's not that bad after all...

As a public service announcement to all ARFCOMers. Please stop spreading the bullshit. It smells up the place.

BTW, the Galco rig is a very nice SOB holster. I have had several.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Have one for one of my Glocks, but I rarely wear it. Standing, it's comfortable and a reasonable draw. WIth a short jacket, anything that gets the rear to rise up (almost any movement of bending at the waist) exposes it. Uncomfortable sitting/driving. And then there's the spinal injury potential....

Much better off with IWB (like a Versa Max 2!).
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You jokers crack me up. I try to stay off my back when I pack and I usually try to stay erect and not fall down.

A) Personally, I wouldn't choose to insult someone merely for giving their opinion on something.

B) I have learned in my 47 years that sometimes I trip over stuff when I least expect it or need it.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the SOB from GALCO. I use it full time for carrying a fullsize SIG P226. I have done so every day for the last 5 or 6 years. I find wearing it very comfortable sitting, driving standing, etc. Never had any problems at all. Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You jokers crack me up. I try to stay off my back when I pack and I usually try to stay erect and not fall down.

A) Personally, I wouldn't choose to insult someone merely for giving their opinion on something.

B) I have learned in my 47 years that sometimes I trip over stuff when I least expect it or need it.

YMMV.

It's been my experiance in 36 years that I never want to fall down. Shit happens, so you better be prepared for the worst.

Most PDs ban SOB holsters because Officers have been hurt by them. That's a FACT.

As far as Galco holsters is concerned, the best description of them I ever heard is:
"A production holster at Custom holster prices."
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Most PDs ban SOB holsters because Officers have been hurt by them. That's a FACT.

No, it is more exaggeration BS.  There are over 18,000 LE agencies in the U.S., so that would mean over 9,000 would have to ban the design.  I'll bet you can't name 25 that have banned the design.  I can certainly ID hundreds that have not prohibited it, and if there was such a prohibition I'm fairly sure I would have heard about it at some of the LE conferences.  Like some others, I've carried SOB for a long time, and no a fair number of others who have also done so.  When worn properly the SOB design does not contribute to back injury as it is not worn over the spine.  It has advantages and disadvantages just like any other design.  But all this internet BS about the design is just that, uninformed internet BS.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#16]
My problem with SOB, is not the "You'll break your back" argument.  It's this:

If I get into a scuffle, there is a good chance I'll end up on the ground (people push or punch, the other guy ends up falling down, it's physics).  Now if I fall down, I really want to know where my attacker is, so I try to face him, most likely by rolling over (if I'm now already on my back).  So herin lies my problem, I'm now laying on my gun!  My gun is pretty tough to get when it's underneath me.  If it were on my strong side hip, or even crossdraw, it'd be easier to access.  Especially considering I'd want to keep my hand out in front of me to fend off any more attacks.

just my $.02.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I happen to like the holster. It conceals very well depending on what I wear, which is why I also have other holsters. I am also of the ilk of staying off your back.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer my galco sob over my galco shoulder rig. The sob just seems to be more comfortable and easlier to conceal
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I currently use the DeSantis SOB, but am in the market for a Galco SOB in black for my Glock 36.

Anyone who tells you that they've injured themselves falling on their spine wearing an SOB holster is completely full of sh!t.  All these people talking about back injuries have never carried a gun in an SOB holster, otherwise they'd know that the gun rests comfortably in the area of your back that curves in (just over the tailbone), so therefore, falling on your back would not cause the gun to impale your spine.  Secondly, if by the time you've gotten pushed to the ground you haven't managed to deholster your weapon, you need to practice more.  There's no way I'm getting pushed around and hitting the ground on my back before my gun is drawn.  WTF are you carrying a gun around for?

I reitterate... Nobody here that has trash talked the SOB on the basis of back injury knows about this first hand.  It's always a story they heard or read about.  Bullshit.  I carry mine SOB and I love it.  It is the most comfortable and concealable over the belt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I had one.  For a S&W 6906.   SOB is better than nothing, but for me it was terrible.  Didn't conceal well, and painfully uncomfortable sitting.   Reholstering was often a pain.  There are much better holsters out there.

Falling on your back is no joke.   A hard object between you and the ground hitting your spine can cause injury.     Have I seen anyone injured by a SOB holster? no.  I have seen a man break a rib by falling on a  fairly small rock on the ground.    Anything between you and a flat unyeilding surface acts as a focal point of the impact.  

Think that SOB isnt' goint to hurt?  Do a forward roll on pavement with your SOB.  Much less impact than a fall.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Silly.

Galco makes a reasonably decent IWB that you can postion all over the waist including S.O.B. I started SOB and realized that is harder to reach and more uncomfortable, so I transitioned to strong-side kidney and print isn't much more noticable. Even if you want to carry S.O.B. I would get the IWB and seat it there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top