Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:51:19 PM EDT
Ok so here in July I will be turning 21, which is legal age for ccw in KY... I just wanted to know if you all think that a person is ready for a ccw and the responsibility at 21... personally I think I am mature enough, just didnt know how you all felt....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:07:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rangerman2003:
Ok so here in July I will be turning 21, which is legal age for ccw in KY... I just wanted to know if you all think that a person is ready for a ccw and the responsibility at 21... personally I think I am mature enough, just didnt know how you all felt....

There were studies done that prove that the "hazard centers" of the brain are not fully developed until age 25. This is the prime physiological reason that young drivers (particularly teens) are more dangerous drivers. The "I could die doing this" instinct is overriden by the "Hey dude, watch this" drive....I suppose at 21, that could factor into your readiness to carry, but as long as you respect the gun, its' capabilities, your responsibilities with it on your person, etc. and have some training on how to use it safely, you'll be ok. The answer will, of course vary from individual to individual, and not knowing you personally it's impossible to say.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:12:36 PM EDT
ya i have heard that a person is not fully matured until 25 but was not sure if it was valid or not. But me and my dad have talked and before i can enroll for my CCW, me and him have made an agreement that I take a shooting course, and a self defense class.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:21:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:30:49 AM EDT by constitutionlvr]
if you live firearms saftey, and know the law and are not a hot head there is no reason you should not consider this in my opinion The fact you asked other peoples opinion on this matter is the biggest question in my mind, not trying to be an ass, and this question could come from a life of listening to all the negative things society has to say about fireams and the young, however I feel that may a person could saftley carry and have the maturity to do so well below the magic age of 21. While many people might still do foolish thing with reards to some aspects of there life, they might be mature enough to carry at a younger age just because of the way they have been brought up around firearms and their safe use.

eta: I also feel that there are some in our society who are not mature enough to carry at ages alot older than 21. I don't see how we as a society can ask our youth to sign up to be drafted and fight and possibly give their only life for the country at 18, vote for the officials who make our laws yet can't trust the same people to make adult decisions about drinking and handgun ownership and carrying. That being said you have to know you have the maturity to do so and noone can make that decision for you. If you have not spent a lot of time aroung guns and handguns in particular I would you suggest you follow your dad's advice and take a course.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:14:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 3:17:51 PM EDT by ORinTX]
I was pretty stupid when I was that age.

The fact that you're asking is a good sign IMO -- it means you care about doing this responsibly.

What you need to be aware of is your natural reaction to certain situations. Are people able to push your buttons and get you to fight them? How about if they do really nasty things, and insult your girl? Are you mature enough to walk away from all confrontations?

The other day I was about to park my car in a real crowded lot when a truck full of teenagers came plowing over the parking lot median and over a couple of curbs, cut me off, and parked in the spot they know I was going for. I went and parked further out and when I got out of the car they were talking shit, pointing, and laughing at me because I didn't win their little game. I overheard one of them make a pretty rude comment about my wife (thankfully, she didn't hear it.)

Are you able to take that kind of shit and completely ignore it, not even flip a guy off for it? I am. When I was younger I wouldn't have been able to, and the situation could have escalated.

How about if someone spits on you because you didn't give him the change he asked for? That happened to me down on sixth street.

ETA: Boy, I meet a lot of rude people, don't I? I've got more stories too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 6:30:04 PM EDT by kcobean]
I'd have been putting my gun in my car and coming back to straighten out the attitudes of those young folks. :)

Seriously though, CCW can be a REAL burden if you're a hothead or the 'prideful' type. It's not that you fear shooting someone because they piss you off so much as that even if you become part of a confrontation that starts off verbally and has nothing whatsoever to do with using your weapon, but it escalates to the point where you do use it in defense of your well being, you're going to jail because you were a part of the initial confrontation, and THAT could have been avoided. Anyway, if you're going to carry, try to take a class that is tailored not just to shooting, but to CCW in particular because the law is probably about 9/10ths of being an effective carrier and that's a big part of what you'll learn about in class.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:48:27 PM EDT
Im 22 y/o and have always owned firearms and have just recently completed the CHL course for my permit. Just like the guy above said..........if you are mature enough and have enough resposibility then you should get one if you want one. I know too many people who are intrested in getting them that REALLY dont need one. The very few are mostly very short tempered and shouldnt be carryying a loaded weapon and the other half and rest are just irresponsible. Of course the short tempered are irresponsible also but ive seen some of these guys around guns and they dont need to take the course or even own one in my opinion. All i can say is that i've studied the laws, know the do's and dont's, know when to use it and when not to and are very mature with a weapon, and if you are like that then get it. But for your own safety and others, if you have any doubts then re-consider for your own sake, and for the sake of others. Like i told my friend, " one mistake with this privelage"....CHL that is "can cost you the rest of your life of in prison or even dead from stupidity". when i get this permit in i will carry everywhere legal and forget its there, but at the same time remember it is..........does that make any sense? thats just my 2 cents. But get it if you trust yourself.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 8:14:31 PM EDT by kcobean]

Originally Posted By Gunluvr22:
Im 22 y/o and have always owned firearms and have just recently completed the CHL course for my permit. Just like the guy above said..........if you are mature enough and have enough resposibility then you should get one if you want one. I know too many people who are intrested in getting them that REALLY dont need one. The very few are mostly very short tempered and shouldnt be carryying a loaded weapon and the other half and rest are just irresponsible. Of course the short tempered are irresponsible also but ive seen some of these guys around guns and they dont need to take the course or even own one in my opinion. All i can say is that i've studied the laws, know the do's and dont's, know when to use it and when not to and are very mature with a weapon, and if you are like that then get it. But for your own safety and others, if you have any doubts then re-consider for your own sake, and for the sake of others. Like i told my friend, " one mistake with this privelage"....CHL that is "can cost you the rest of your life of in prison or even dead from stupidity". when i get this permit in i will carry everywhere legal and forget its there, but at the same time remember it is..........does that make any sense? thats just my 2 cents. But get it if you trust yourself.

So will you change your screen name when you turn 23? Good post. Self-evalution is an important part of the CHL process.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:18:25 PM EDT
when asking this i really didnt consider all that has been stated above. but after reading all of the things that need to be avoided and that i need to watch out for i think i can responsibily and be mature enough to carry.. I have been around weapons all my life, have been hunting since i was 11 and have been shooting pistols since i was around 9.

as far as my temper goes and avoiding all confrontations, I have never been in a fight, nor been in a yelling match with anyone, and any time someone says something about me or my girl we just walk away and be the mature ones...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:24:09 AM EDT

when asking this i really didnt consider all that has been stated above. but after reading all of the things that need to be avoided and that i need to watch out for i think i can responsibily and be mature enough to carry.. I have been around weapons all my life, have been hunting since i was 11 and have been shooting pistols since i was around 9.

as far as my temper goes and avoiding all confrontations, I have never been in a fight, nor been in a yelling match with anyone, and any time someone says something about me or my girl we just walk away and be the mature ones...

Good. Go get your license.

But you came into this biased, not objectively.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:34:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ORinTX:

Good. Go get your license.

But you came into this biased, not objectively.

hehehe i know sorry i was just answering what everyone else had said... lol sorry
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:11:12 PM EDT
I'm 21 years old. I've had my permit to carry for 6 months now without issues.

You need to look at yourself very honestly, and consider if you'll handle your gun responsibly and carefully. You need to consider if you're prepared to make a decision that will alter a lot of people's lives. You need to know the laws very well, and understand them to the point that you can evaluate a situation according to those laws very quickly.

I'd be comfortable with some 21 year olds carrying. Others I would not. I know several 18 and 19 year olds, and even a 16 year old or two who are mature and responsible enough to carry IMO. I know a lot of 21 year olds who I think shouldn't be holding a plastic butter knife. Depends on the person.

I think it shows a level of maturity that you're considering this carefully and asking questions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:41:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AGoodDay:
I know a lot of 21 year olds who I think shouldn't be holding a plastic butter knife. Depends on the person

I agree, but I also know 30, 40, and 50 year olds who fit in the same category. It has more to do with the person than the age.

As far as a 21 year old being ready for CCW, I think every state should be 18 for CCW for a variety of reasons. There are a few states that are 18, and they got it right.

I'm 23 and i've been carrying daily for 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:52:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:48:56 PM EDT
I'm 19 and I trust myself with a handgun far more than I would trust some 30 something year olds with one.

Like they've said, maturity, not age, is important.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:57:06 AM EDT
I think one should be allowed to carry however one pleases at the age of 18. This is the law in Indiana and next year, my little bro will get a pistol for his 18th birthday from me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:28:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 9:29:24 AM EDT by triburst1]
I took my Kentucky CCDW exam 3 days after I turned 21. I don't think day has gone by in the six years since that I didn't carry a weapon.

Another cool advantage of a KY permit, is that you can carry auto knives and other weapons.

Where in KY are you located?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:48:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 9:49:06 AM EDT by VBC]
Sometimes I think having a gun keeps me from causing trouble because you don't want to get into trouble with a gun.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:51:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:
I took my Kentucky CCDW exam 3 days after I turned 21. I don't think day has gone by in the six years since that I didn't carry a weapon.

Another cool advantage of a KY permit, is that you can carry auto knives and other weapons.here

if it tells you anything i live in boone county about 10 minutes from the cvg airport were i work
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:41:41 PM EDT
I'm 56 years into my run and have had my carry permit since I was 21. The only thing that's really changed is that I'm a little slower on the draw than I used to be, but still fast enough to see tomorrow. Use your hatrack for more than just a neck plug and you'll be just fine young fellow!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:34:17 PM EDT
it sounds like your question has been well asnwered but ill give my opinion anyways. I am 23, got my permit as soon as i could when i was 21.

Since you have been around guns for so long i would say that you are perfectly able to carry a gun.

The one thing that i would say will make all the difference in your ability to carry is training. i know you have been shooting pistols for a long time - for longer than me by a few years - that has very little to do with good tactical(and i mean that in its purest form, not mall ninja meaning) training. Find a good instructor that covers everything from trigger control to mind set while carrying and keep taking classes.

Good Luck

my .02
Top Top