Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2004 1:01:56 PM EDT
Like to hear any opinions on the Colt Defender 45 ACP looks like a good weapon but want some advice from you guys out there.
Thanks, MrHowell
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife has a Colt Defender are really likes the pistol.  I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II CDP.  The pistols are about the same weight.  I like the way the Colt breaks down for cleaning.  I have shot both pistols and could not tell a significant difference between the two.  Both use 7 round magazines (the Colt Defendr Plus holds 8 rounds).  The Colt comes with Hogue grips and really feels good in your hand.  The only problem I had was finding a gun dealer that had the Colt Defender in stock.  It seems Colt has not made many so they are a little difficult to find.  I paid $770.00 for the new Colt Defender.  I'm sure you would be happy with the pistol.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
this is my defender plus ( extra round ) , It's great and since it's no longer  in production it's a great investment. feels great in the hand due to the wrap around grip. I'm sure if you can find one, you'll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I compete with a 1911 and so when it came time to buy carry gun a 3” 1911 was an obvious choice.  I spent a couple of months of very intense research and chose the Colt Defender and have been completely happy with my decision.  I really like the Hogue grips and have put them on my 5”, some folks claim that they make it harder to conceal but they’re easy to change out to wood.  The little gun has been reliable and surprisingly accurate.  It’s a GREAT choice!

Downside?  Everything has a downside.  I wasn’t overly impressed with the factory magazines and quickly replaced them with CobraMags www.trippresearch.com.  They’re expensive but they’re worth every penny, smoothed things out considerably.  The dual recoil spring set up is rather short lived, 1000-1200 rounds MAX.  This isn’t unique to the Defender but a fact with all micro 1911s.  As of now the ONLY place you can buy them is from Colt, if you buy one PM/email me and I’ll give the part numbers (I have them at work).

Ed      
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a defender when they first came out. After a trigger job and night sights installed is is a very very reliable carry gun for me. I have put over 1000 rounds thru it and it goes bang every time. very accurate for such a short barrel too
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The origional Colt mags are junk.

They are also a  Colt and 1911 which means some will work and some will not.

If you can find one that you can test fire and check out before you buy it and know it is reliable you may wind up with a decent gun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top