Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:49:52 AM EDT
Is there an online serial number list for dating of S&W revolvers.  Looking mainly for the year of manufacture of a Mod.36 chief special.  An older gun with a 6 digit serial number and no letter prefix.
Thanks,
Kelly
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Not aware of any.  Post the number (or a portion of it) here and somebody will usually respond.  Smith is pretty good about publishing numbers.  Several sources out there.  Unlike Colt where it seems to be a state secret.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for replying.
I think  the gun was made after 1957 as it is stamped mod 36 on the frame.   Other than that I don't know.
The serial # is 5245xx with no letter prefix.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The J frame list in my book is not very specific.  Mid to late sixties is about the best I can tell you.

1962 - 295000

1969 - 786544

Assuming roughly equal production for each year (a big assumption) I would guess more mid sixties than late.

You may try calling or emailing Smith and see if they can narrow it down.  Some companies are pretty good about that sort or thing, others aren't.  Never tried Smith so I don't know.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ameshawki:
Thank you for your  information.  Probably as close as I'll get.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Just call Smith & Wesson customer service.  The 800 number is on their website and they will tell you the month and year of manufacture for free…  That is by far the easiest way to find the information that you are looking for….

Just my .02

Buck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top