Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 5:24:59 AM EDT
A couple of months ago I sold my Sig 226, leaving me without a 9mm handgun. Last week I discovered about 1,000 rounds of 9mm in the garage...and so I say to myself, in true ARFCOM style..."Guess, I'd better buy a pistol to shoot up that ammo".

Now I'm a huge Sig fan and have always been a bit of a Glock basher. Tried a Glock 19, back in the 80's and couldn't stand it. But recently I've been contemplating getting one. Well, last week I made two posts and you guys said you'd take a Glock to a "war zone" by about a 2/3 majority over other major combat pistols. Then I asked for a choice between 17 &19...and you guys said 19 by a 2 to 1 majority.

So, this weekend I hit a local gun show, found a barely used 19 (gold grease still in slide, sticker still on one mag, minimal powder residue, no finish wear on feed ramp or top of barrel) I think someone shot one box of ammo then gave it up. Anyhow, I get it for $425 out the door with two hi-caps.

So, yesterday I go to the range. Now keep in mind, I'm still skeptical...I don't like Glocks. Shooting bulk 115 FMJ UMC, nothing special. Slow aimed fire on a target with 5 bullseyes, 15 rounds to each at 7 yards. First was a little to the left but tight...adjust grip...better...good...ok this isn't so bad...damn nice. All 15 rounds inside of 3" on all five targets.

Next I tried some double and triple taps. Very pointable...just kept my eyes on the front sight...again perfectly acceptable.

Then I tried the Texas CHL target, 50 rounds at various ranges. My score (as usual) was 250/250 but I was surprised by the fact that those "inaccurate Glocks" are still able to put 50 rounds inside of 4" at 3, 7, and 15 yards. I did have one flyer at the 11 o'clock about 7" out from POA, but still inside the 5 point area.

All total, I put about 300 rounds through this Glock 19. No failures of any kind, very little recoil for such a light handgun, and the grip which is a tad small for my hands was no factor at all once I started shooting.

In summary, it's all your fault. Now I find myself wanting to try a 17 and then who knows what's next. I feel another collection coming on!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
As they say on Glocktalk:

Welcome to the Dark side.  Once you arrive you never go back.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My progression was the 26, then the 19, and now I am enamored by the 34.  

You need to at least examine one of those before you settle on the (inevitable) next purchase of those appealing black plastic guns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
and so it begins.........
Congrats on the 19, fine weapon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a G19 and a G20.  

If you are going to buy more Glocks give the G20 a go.  Many people complain about the price of 10mm ammunition, but I have a cheap drop-in barrel chambered in .40S&W for times when I am too lazy to reload 10mm.  The G20 was made around the 10mm cartridge, and once you taste that Kool Aid you will never be the same.  10mm- it just makes sense!

Also, consider a 3.5lb drop-in connector for the Glock "family".  Not much will really improve the trigger pull on Glocks, but I found the lighter connector helped me shrink my "glock groups".  It still isn't a 1911 trigger, but life involves compromise.  I will try a trigger stop soon to see if that helps tame the "kersprong" feeling of the Glock trigger pull.

Good luck in your pursuit of Glock Purfection- the G19 really is a great weapon.

Cheese

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I shunned glocks for some time, until I got a deal that was too good to pass up.  Also in a 19.  It's a very sweety shooter and remarkably accurate for what it is.  Now of course, I want more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Try a 21 and that 1911 will never feel right again.  More seriously, I used to shoot 1911s and have develped arthritis in my hands so at times, the controls of a 1911 can be a literal pain. So, I tried a Glock with results very much like what you've experienced, but no joint pain trying to thumb off a safety and the fat mags on the Glock are easier to handle without a total fumbleina act.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
you'll need at least 4 and one has to be a 10mm
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Glocks arent inacurate I have seen one hole 15 yard groups cut with out of the box 40 S&W and 9mm

A few years ago I was shooting at a range in Naples.  These two guys were shooting in the bay next to me.  By eaves dropping I figured out one guy was on his first trip and the other guy was the "Expert".  Kudos to the expert for having good taste if not over priced in his selection of a pair of Les Bauer 1911 Hard Ballers my personal favorite as far as looks go in LB 1911s.   I was just setting up and hadnt fired any rounds yet.   I laid out my G21 my G35 and a CZ-75.   On Cold range the Expert and the newbie went down range and brought back their static 15 yard slwo fire target.   The expert had fired about a 5 in group barely keeping all the rounds inside a 6" shoot N C target.  He was going on and on about the virtues of the 1911 the most accurate fighting pistol ever made yada yada yada.  It takes alot of practice to be able to shoot this good sight alignment is evrything yada yada yada.   Now remember there is only 6 ft seperating us, people can hear you even though we are all wearing hearing muffs.  The newbie ask the Expert about my Guns the Expert says ahh Glocks are cheap inacurate POS and that other thing is some saturday night special type probably a jam o matic.   Of course as soon as the range went hot I fired  some ragged one hole groups into a set of three targets, one with each pistol.   Later I heard the expert saying yeah we are shooting real close and sometimes you get lucky and get a good group with crap!

Now the LB is probably more accurate than a glock or CZ but on that day my hands were better than his!   Bottom line Glocks are great!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try a 21 and that 1911 will never feel right again.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
There is nothing quite like going to a match with a 20 year old police trade in GLOCK you bought for $350, and outshooting the guys with $3,000.00 custom match guns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
19 and 26 are two of my favorite handguns.  Can't go wrong with a 19.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As they say on Glocktalk:

Welcome to the Dark side.  Once you arrive you never go back.  

Not necessarily true.  Most of my Glock collection has been sold and traded away, though I decided to keep a second generation G17 and G19.

My honest advice?  Don't bother with any of the other Glocks except the G20.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is nothing quite like going to a match with a 20 year old police trade in GLOCK you bought for $350, and outshooting the guys with $3,000.00 custom match guns.

I LOVE reading stuff like this. That $3,000.00 would have been much better spent on training or at the range. It blows my mind how people will spend that kind of money on equipment, but won't spend it on training.

My Glock is all the pistol I need. I have two of 'em, and an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit(you'll definitely want to look into one of these). Now they just feed as much as possible. These innacurate Glocks still shoot better than I do. If I start to catch up to my pistol, it just means I should shoot faster.

Enjoy, your Glock will serve you well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Glocks arent inacurate I have seen one hole 15 yard groups cut with out of the box 40 S&W and 9mm

A few years ago I was shooting at a range in Naples.  These two guys were shooting in the bay next to me.  By eaves dropping I figured out one guy was on his first trip and the other guy was the "Expert".  Kudos to the expert for having good taste if not over priced in his selection of a pair of Les Bauer 1911 Hard Ballers my personal favorite as far as looks go in LB 1911s.   I was just setting up and hadnt fired any rounds yet.   I laid out my G21 my G35 and a CZ-75.   On Cold range the Expert and the newbie went down range and brought back their static 15 yard slwo fire target.   The expert had fired about a 5 in group barely keeping all the rounds inside a 6" shoot N C target.  He was going on and on about the virtues of the 1911 the most accurate fighting pistol ever made yada yada yada.  It takes alot of practice to be able to shoot this good sight alignment is evrything yada yada yada.   Now remember there is only 6 ft seperating us, people can hear you even though we are all wearing hearing muffs.  The newbie ask the Expert about my Guns the Expert says ahh Glocks are cheap inacurate POS and that other thing is some saturday night special type probably a jam o matic.   Of course as soon as the range went hot I fired  some ragged one hole groups into a set of three targets, one with each pistol.   Later I heard the expert saying yeah we are shooting real close and sometimes you get lucky and get a good group with crap!

Now the LB is probably more accurate than a glock or CZ but on that day my hands were better than his!   Bottom line Glocks are great!

That's cool.  Will you be my friend?

G
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Along the lines of trigger time and training, there is about no substitute for those two. The most accurate geewhiz laser ray gun is useless in the hands of someone who can't shoot straight to start with.

My brother started shooting pins back in the early 80's with a stock, milspec SA1911 and a Redhawk. The "experienced" gear loving types looked down their noses at the guy in overalls with an extra mag stuck in his pocket, until he place second overall with the 1911, and then proceeded with a lowly 6 shot 44mag to do the same again at another match. Yup, his splits between shots were a bit slower, but they were dead on target and it was one shot, one kill on every pin with disgusting regularity. He quit shooting pins because he thought it was too easy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#17]
OK, since I can't read an XD thread without someone saying "get a Glock", I will say "Get an XD!"

anywho, I may look into a G17 at some later date. I guess 1 Glock would be necessary for a well rounded collection

Have fun with your new pistols, and BTW: I wish I could just stumble across 1K of 9mm ammo in my garage
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Glock 22, I'll soon be getting a Glock 27 to replace the one I let my ex keep when I left her bitch ass, A Glock 21 and a glock 37 are on the way, and if Sammy is everything we hope he is I'll have an 18 in a few years. and maybe a 20 just to have a 10 mm
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#20]
You gotta love the Glock, no annoying decocker.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

When you think about it, that is a really scary device.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats.
In my 19 yrs of shooting Glocks I can say that the only people I ever see bash them also happen to be the same people that can't shoot them for sh** or people who get beat in a match by somebody using a Glock.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I have two G17'S, a G21,G22,G23,G27,G29,G31,G34,G35 and a G37. I just love going to a 3-gun match and taking my 2nd gen G17 and ringing more steel than the 1911 guys who spent big $ on custom rigs. When I went to TDI in Ohio the only people not cleaning and lubing weapons during down time were the Glock, Sig, and XD guys. We shot over 800 rounds in a day and my stock G22 College Park Ga, PD trade in never even noticed. For a pure out-of-the-box combat handgun IMHO the Glock has few if any equals.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you think about it, that is a really scary device.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#25]
You also might want to try out the G32, great gun and as smooth shooting as silk.
I trust it with my life and my family's always and never leave home without it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top