Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 2:10:12 PM EDT
I keep on hearing mixed views on the Beretta M-9.  It's great!!!  It's a piece of shit!!!  It's so so.
I have shot them and actually owned one, but never shoot it  What is the current status of the M-9 and what is the latest info on the new upcoming handgun?  Any info or links would be great.  Thanks again guys.
Pete
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I have idea about the new handgun.

But I can tell you the issues with the M9. The main problem is many of these guns have possibly tens of thousands of rounds through them with little maintance. So realibilty and accuracy are effected. For many of the recruits, the M9 is the first handgun they have handled and firing an old nearly broken down model leaves a poor impression.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, I have idea about the new handgun.

But I can tell you the issues with the M9. The main problem is many of these guns have possibly tens of thousands of rounds through them with little maintance. So realibilty and accuracy are effected. For many of the recruits, the M9 is the first handgun they have handled and firing an old nearly broken down model leaves a poor impression.

This is true.  I have heard that the U.S. Military just bought another 70,000 Berettas.  Why would they buy more M-9's if a new handgun is on the horizon?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is true.  I have heard that the U.S. Military just bought another 70,000 Berettas.  Why would they buy more M-9's if a new handgun is on the horizon?

because it takes time to completely field new equipment.  just because the m9 was chosen in 1985 does not mean that every single unit that needed them had them in 1986.  there were some normal line units that didn't have them until after the gulf war.  and if they are still using 20 year old pistols, i am sure they need replacement.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I disagree with the worn out becuase they have seen thousands of rounds post. outside of special operations military handguns see very little actual shooting. my unit prior to deployment to Iraq had berettas that maybe saw 75-100 rounds a year max and then about 150 rounds in train up prior to deployment. no one shot a pistol in our unit the entire time in Iraq. I would say the average G.I. beretta has fewwer rounds thru them than most of us put thru our personal pistols in 6 months.
My experience also a shooter on a military team is that the beretta is no better or worse than any other 9mm out there and I have shot or owned just about everything. the key problem which has been touched on is the military spends very very little time and ammo in pistol training. while they do spend alot of time with rifles those issued pistols get any training /ammo as an afterthought.
while not absolutely true, the pistol is generally carried by officers,tank crews and medical personnel who would not likely really need it. fWIW, all the medics and officers in my unit authorized a pistol took the opportunity to carry a rifle or carbine as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As it stands now, the M9 will not be replaced.  

The JCP .45 is now the CP and looks like SOCOM only.  They've dropped the max number of pistols to 50,000 from the original 600,000 when it was for everyone.  It appears that they now only want to buy enough .45ACPs for SOCOM requirements.  

www.fbo.gov/spg/ODA/USSOCOM/SOAL%2DKB/H92222%2D05%2DR%2D0017/Modification%2001.html

The bottom line is a max 50,000 isn't going to come close to the needs of the services for sidearms.  So the .45 Combat Pistol IS NOT going to be the next general issue handgun of the military.

The M9 and 9mm will be around for quite a while longer.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#6]
the new .45 is going to be for SOCOM only but I'm sure there will be other units that will be lucky enough to get some.  As for the rest of the military, as far as I know they will still be using the M9
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As it stands now, the M9 will not be replaced.  

The JCP .45 is now the CP and looks like SOCOM only.  They've dropped the max number of pistols to 50,000 from the original 600,000 when it was for everyone.  It appears that they now only want to buy enough .45ACPs for SOCOM requirements.  

www.fbo.gov/spg/ODA/USSOCOM/SOAL%2DKB/H92222%2D05%2DR%2D0017/Modification%2001.html

The bottom line is a max 50,000 isn't going to come close to the needs of the services for sidearms.  So the .45 Combat Pistol IS NOT going to be the next general issue handgun of the military.

This is what I was looking for.  Thank you.
Pete

The M9 and 9mm will be around for quite a while longer.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top