Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 7:40:45 PM EDT
Kimber CDP or Tactical, .45 (obviously)
Sig 239, 9mm

My pistolian A.D.D. continues. I can't find an XD to buy for the life of me so its going to have to wait. I guess I'll be getting the nice handgun first. The Sig is generally $200 cheaper than the Kimbers but I WILL have a 1911 sooner or later. Which one would you get? This would not be for everyday carry, just my first handgun primarily for defense but also for punching paper/ 3 gun.

On the 1911's 4" or 5" barrel?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
5" Kimber would be my choice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely the 5" Kimber.  I would try to locate one of the pre-Series II guns if you could.  Im not totally sold on the reliability of the Swartz-type firing pin safety they added on the Series II.  There have been a lot of people reporting FTF's with the SII guns.  They may have the bugs worked out by now.

Id go with the 5" gun just because thats the slide length the system was built to function around.  If you decide to make it a carry gun, its the grip anyway thats the hard part to conceal, not that extra inch of barrel.

The SIG is a damn fine handgun, but I ruled it out since you mentioned competition.  The 1911s low bore axis and crisp short single action trigger will give you the edge in that arena.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
5" 1911.  I beleive the majority of the failures in the series to are on the ones with barrels shorter than 5".  

If you are familiar with single action carry, then the 1911 is the absolute winner.  If you are not familiar, but are willing to take the time to practice and learn, the 1911 is still the winner.  Unless you are absolutely turned off by single action carry, the 1911 wins every time.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Kimber CDP or Tactical, .45 (obviously)
Sig 239, 9mm

My pistolian A.D.D. continues. I can't find an XD to buy for the life of me so its going to have to wait. I guess I'll be getting the nice handgun first. The Sig is generally $200 cheaper than the Kimbers but I WILL have a 1911 sooner or later. Which one would you get? This would not be for everyday carry, just my first handgun primarily for defense but also for punching paper/ 3 gun.

On the 1911's 4" or 5" barrel?

Yo Marcus,

The 5" is an absolute. If you have the right idea for use / carry / want.  But you have a conflicting statement here.  You want to shoot 3gun, but this is your first pistol.  I have a great Kimber TLE w/LAPD package.  It is nice, but I "compete" with it rarely!  Why slow down that muchwill all the extras (also a huge cost issue, I tend to baby it) when I can pay $500.00 out the door for a glock.  I know some people do not like them, and I really did not at first too.  But then I shot one during a course and bought one the next day.  Before you buy, why don't we meet and I will go in detail.  I just woke up and am off to work, so this might be gibberish!  Anyway, come shoot my shit before you throw down any $$$

c
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Kimber in 5" for target shooting, but for carry I prefer my Kimber 3" ultra. About the series II safety, no FTF with either gun, so far, and have had both weapons about 2 years. I also have a Sig 245 it to is a very fine weapon, choose the weapon that feels right to you, every one will be different.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Good recommendations all ...go for the 5 inch Kimber...a dream with all the frills you will want. I have both the Classic Royal (a 5 inch series 1) and the Ultra Carry in the 3.15 inch barrel, series 2. Both are fine guns...no problems with either, nor FTF's. Only problem I had was trying to get the Wilson Combat magazines to work with the Kimber. Others have not had that problem, however... I'm not gonna mess with what works....so...go get a Kimber!!
Ruger480 (Mike)
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I have both (except my 239 is .357SIG), and absolutely love them both. However, if competition is in your future, go with the Kimber. If you're looking for a carry gun, take a hard look at the 239. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Kimber.  I love Sigs too, but the 1911 design has biten me as the most ergonomically pleasing and excellence in functioning.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]
1911 fool.  Get it.  Love it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
1911 fool.  Get it.  Love it.

OK OK I'll get it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#11]
GOT IT! One new Kimber TLE/RL is in my hand as I type this one handed. I'll post pics later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top