Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2002 7:14:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the fact that my Kimber came from the factory with a skeletonized hammer and trigger, a worked, breaks-like-a-glass-rod 4.5lb trigger and the bushingless coned barrel set up that helps it lock up in the same place everytime and reduces slack and slop between the barrel and slide.

Don't get me wrong, I also have designs on a Springfield Mil-Spec, but I like my Kimber a whole lot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The reason I bought my kimber was trigger pull. I wish I could give you a better answer. It was better than my eea witness the only pistol I owned. If wasn't for my kmiber I probaly never would have owned a 1911 or became interested in them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Well,
you'd have to get a brownell's catalog and start pricing parts,you'll probably need, Trigger, hammer, sear,recoil spring, front & rear sights, Grip saftey, Maybe new barrel and matching barrel bushing, Figure up the cost of all the parts but the barrel& bushing, (again,this is a Maybe) plus what a Gunsmith would charge to do the work, (if you are doing it yourself figure a fair hourly rate for your time)  and add that to the cost of the pistol you'll be using as a base, then go out and look at what a Kimber Custom Classic will run and then compair prices, chances are the Kimber will be cheaper,Kimber Custom Classic's in my area are running about $685 plus sales tax, Springfield Mil-Spec's (good choice for a base pistol)go for about $550.00+ tax I really doubt you can come in for less than what a new kimber cost, I've gotten excellent accuracy out of the Kimber, trigger is excellent, only problems I've had are failure to feed after I installed 18.5 # recoil spring, and I was using light loads, However, I expected this when I was shooting the light loads, so it's not really a problem,Easily cured by using stock (16#) recoil spring, Kimber Custom Classic maybe what you're looking for, not alot of bells and whistles, accurate, reliable, I figure you'll have at least $200.00 in parts not counting the bbl and bushing, figure about another $150-175 for that, +gunsmithing so, you'll probably end up in the $900.-1000.00 range without the bbl& bushing installed,  
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm always seeing people refer to Kimber pistols as expensive.  Either they are all shopping at the wrong gun shops or they need to realize that Kimber makes more pistols than the $1000 CDP series.

I paid $600 for my Kimber Classic Custom, which is the basic 5" government model with their matte finish.  That price is about the same as a Colt or Springfield 1911 in the same basic configuration.  It is completely reliable and very accurate right out of the box.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
All I can say is that the two Kimber's I own, a pro carry sle (my favorite) and custom eclipse (may become favorite one day), are the two finest guns I have shot.  Their triggers out of the box were good, after a few hundred rounds they are awesome.  Both shoot right to point of aim and shoot very well.  The pro carry was only 650 and the eclipse 999, but it has many custom features for that price.  And it is not just me, everyone who tries either of those pistols wants to run out and buy one.  Kimber can have some QC and customer service issues, according to complaints on 1911forums.com, but mine have been rolling right along.

As for other brands, Springfields just don't feel right to me, the grip is a little chunky for my hands.  And Springfields are not much cheaper than a Kimber.  And I couldn't find a Colt I'd like as well for the money.  I do have a Para I like but the trigger is down right mushy compared to the Kimbers.  I would like to try a Dan Wesson, but they are not available out this way.

Try a Kimber on for size, and you'll know what all the hype is about.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a number of reasons I chose a Kimber Compact Stainless (at$695).  One big reason is the smooth movement of the slide.  Every Colt I picked up felt like the slide was moving on sandpaper.  I also like the dovetail sights, aluminum trigger, commander hammer, and bull barrel.  IMHO Springfield is giving Kimber a run for it's money, but Colt is resting on it's name and selling an inferior pistol.

Bradd
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Kimber Compact Stainless also . I traded for it . I got for one reason .

It is the most beautiful Gun I have ever seen .
My wife is really jealous.

Mine is a .40 S/W . which is your`s Bradd D?

Where can I get x-tra mags for her ?

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
cmymud,
Mine is .45...of course.

Try Ebay, Auction Arms, and Gunbroker for mags.

Bradd
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm always seeing people refer to Kimber pistols as expensive.  Either they are all shopping at the wrong gun shops or they need to realize that Kimber makes more pistols than the $1000 CDP series.

heck, even the CDP series is running under a grand if you can take the time to comparison shop.  went into a gun shop the other day looking for a good carry holster for the 1911 and (as i always do) comparison shopped after the fact.  this guy had a CDP for something like $850.  NIB, not used.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What you like about your Kinber. Im a 1911 guy, but never handled a Kimber. So in retrospect, never looked in their direction other than to just observe. I figure I can take a basic Colt/Springfield/mid range clone and tweak it to my specs, and still have less $ tied up in the weapon than an over the counter Kimber. My reason being is, Im a no frills kinda guy. Tweak it for reliability, performance and leave off the showy bells and whistles. I even prefer a good set of low profile combat sights over the adj sights

So now explain to me your preference in a Kimber over the others

BTW This is not to flame Kimbers just a information exchange and discussion topic to get me informed and to get the ball rolling in here

Thanks

I have the Custom Eclipse II.  Even though I paid $950 for it before taxes I found it to be an excellent value.  Why you ask?  Check out the features; forged stainless steel frame/slide, hand fitted match barrel/bushing, checkered front strap, adjustable tritium nite sites, tuned trigger, tactical ambi safety, hi-ride beaver tail, skeletonized commander hammer, and lite weight trigger.  Its been 100% reliable out of the box and very accurate.  Try pricing or building a 1911 with similar features and you'll find the Kimber VERY competitive.  Plus its 100% made in the USA and customer service is outstanding.

Deuce01
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up my Kimber Classic Custom about a year and a half ago.  I bought it for many of the reasons listed above.  At the time, I was split between Kimber and Springfield.  When comparing the two brands at the local fun store, I liked the trigger feel of the Kimber better, and the barrel fit and lockup on the Kimber seemed much tighter, too. The edges on the Springfield seemed much sharper versus the Kimber's more "melted" edges, which felt better in my hand.

I don't care for the front serrations on the Kimber's slide, but if I recall correctly, the Springfield had them, as well.  I'm not really thrilled with the stock sights on the Kimber (see my post in the Sights and Optics forum), but that's easy enough to remedy.  I just have to decide what sights I want to install in place of the stock sights.  I also pulled the rubber grips off within a week and replaced them with some Padauk wood grips I made.

Other than these minor gripes, I've been very happy with the pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top