Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2011 8:19:29 AM EDT

Well I want a 1911 and being in Malta it's not simple task to choose one. We have no gun smiths here so fitting aftermarket parts can be an issue, I'm a lefty and need an ambi safety, and the selection here isn't what it is in the USA.
Now keep in mind prices here are very different from what most of you are used to, so don't pay too much attention to them, reliability is more important than accuracy even though this will only be a range gun, maybe competition. I know what work may need to go into a 1911 and if it was possible I would have a smith like, Vickers, Yam, Wilson or Ed Brown do work on it.
What I really wanted was a Springfield Armory TRP, but sadly SA don't export firearms to Europe any more. ( I prefer fixed sights, single stack .45, 5 inch barrel, high grip beaver tail, no stainless or chrome finish just black/blued, standard recoil assembly no FLGR)
So my main options are:
Kimber Warrior (would fit the bill like the TRP but read about reliability issues)

Dan Wesson Valor (will need ambi safety fitted and haven't read too much about them)

Colt Series 80 XSE (would need to change out grip safety, but much cheaper than the others on the list)

STI Rangemaster (any other STI may be recommended)

Les Baer 1911 Monolith (much, much more expensive and has adjustable sights but will accept it in this case)
So tell me the good, the bad, what you would pick, what you would avoid, any Europeans please chime in about parts especially mags.
Thanks for any help,
RF11

ETA: I know this isn't GD but I have a Glock 17 so there.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt Series 80 XSE
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Colt Series 80 XSE

Vote counted, any reason why, or anything I should specifically do to it?

Do you own one?

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello go to my website gatorfarmtactical.com  and see who I work with.  That said the 1911's I have seen that always work for these folks (I have 7 of them), are the Colt XS series, the STI Spartans, the Springfield loaded's, and the Kimber military model.  The works of art from Wilson, Baer, Brown work after a break in period.
I put my military guys into Spartans from Thunder Mountain Custom Rifles, CW3 Mike Chasse is a high level dealer for them.
I put my folks into the others from Tucson Guns and Western Artifacts in the others.

I personally carry a Colt because the trigger is good out of the box as is the Spartan.  But most often so are the others.  The 1911 is easy for you to improve your own trigger on, take it apart and put an abrasive grease on it like trigger slick and dry fire the heck out of it.  I suggest you join 1911.org for more specific advice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Working from your list of options I have owned 2 Kimbers still have a tactical pro 2 have not had reliabilty issues with either both good shooters would not hesitate to buy another kimber

have not owned a Colt made in the last 15yrs but have owned several over the years there are 2 in my colection no complaints! the xse seems to be a nicely set up pistol for the price

never even held a Dan Wesson so no comment

I see a lot of STI's in competition they seem to work well

a shooting bud of mine has a Les Baer monolith I have shot it a few times this is of course a top quality 1911 with a unique look if money is no issue this would be my top choice from your list

Have you looked in to the possabilty of buying a Springfield armory in the USA and having it shipped check the laws you may be able to get exactly what you want

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say that th Valor and the Baer are in the top tier for sure. Those two are a step above the others, the Baer particularly so. If you can, go with the Baer. You'll never look back. The Valor is a fantastic gun. Don't pay $1800 for one though. Talk to Dave Severn's for a Valor...

https://severnscustom.com/Home_Page.html

Talk to Jerry Hammond for a Baer...

http://fflgundealers.net/hammonds-gun-tackle.html

You'd be surprised what talking to the right guy can do for getting your a good gun at a good price. Hammond got me an Ed Brown at a price I never dreamed of...
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Currently getting anything from the US is a major problem and I would be paying many hundreds of Euros on top of the price of the TRP with no guarantee it will ever arrive. I ordered a TRP from a local dealer over a year ago and he said due to restriction there is no end in sight.

To give you an idea of prices, the Colt XSE is Euro 1300 out the door. STI Rangemaster is about Euro 1500. The Warrior and Valor are both about Eur 2,000 and will be in country in about 3 months. the Les Baer which will have to come from Germany is Euro 2400 plus shipping which could finish at 2700. Then I got mags and ammo but thats a constant for any gun. To put this in perspective a Glock 17 goes for Euro 800, CZ 75 shadow for Euro 750. My AR was Eur 1850 without the tacticool gear.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
of your choies, the Valor
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I would choose the Colt.
I am also quite suprised you have even that many choices on the Island of Malta.
ETA;, Do you folks NEED a gunsmith, enough business to keep one gainfully employed???
I am in the market for a nice place to spend my 'golden years'.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt Special Combat Government Carry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would choose the Colt.

I am also quite suprised you have even that many choices on the Island of Malta.

ETA;, Do you folks NEED a gunsmith, enough business to keep one gainfully employed???

I am in the market for a nice place to spend my 'golden years'.

Well if you had enough cash to retire and do nothing and smith on the side I say you would find enough to do to keep busy, we mainly get European brands here due to the ITAR restrictions in the US, and the licensing and gun laws are no where as free as you're probably used to. The only smiths on the Island specialize in shotguns mainly due to the popularity of bird hunting and the clay sports. Our 'rifled firearms' laws only came into effect in 2007, this covers pistols and rifles, so we are pretty new at it.

The population over here is about 400,000 and there are over 100,000 registered weapons, 15,000 hunting licenses, and abour 2,000 sporting licenses. We are restricted to 10 firearms in the sporting license so do math and see if it is viable. Most of the work like replacing parts is covered by the dealers, it's the actual polisihing cutting shaping of the steel or parts which we lack hence the lack of popularity for the 1911 over here. The Glock, CZ 75 and Revolvers are king over here.

Looks like I'm crossing the Les Baer and STI off the list.

To give you an idea of the scope of firearms available go to the dealer section most of it is in English:

http://www.maltashootingsports.com/shootingtalk/

You will need to be a member of the forum to see the section.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I was going to say SA or Colt until I read you cannot get SA over there. So the process of elimination says Colt.

STI would be next on my list. They have been making competition guns for a while and have a good track record.

I have not heard much about the Dan Wesson 1911's but what little I have heard has been mostly good.

I never have been a fan of Kimber. The cursive rollmarks and rampant problems, admittedly in the past for the most part, soured me on them.

Les Baer? Too much money for a 1911 IMO. I know there are those that will disagree with me about that. I would love to have a custom 1911 by Miller Custom, Ed Brown, etc. I just can't see spending that kind of money on one unless I won the lottery.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
of your choies, the Valor

+1000  You would not regret the Valor.  Just do some real research..
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote here for the Colt XSE series.  

I've had very good luck with Colts  since 1977 when I bought my first one.  I've added a few since then.

Colt has brand new CNC equipment and is making really fine looking pistols now.  Their customer service (should you need it) is also very good.

Keep us updated on your situation and good luck.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out the 1911 section on GlockTalk. The guys there who have a lot of 1911 have nothing but good things to say about the DW Valor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#15]
#1 Colt 70 S
#2 Colt 80 S

Stick with these 2 patterns

Just my take after many years of use
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:58:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like it may be the Valor, they should be in country in a couple of weeks, only change will be the safety, will make it an ambi.

Though the Colt XSE may have a home soon too if I sell something I don't use, only change on that will be the grip safety.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 4:14:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Order a Dan Wesson Valor with an Ed Brown big paddle ambi safety added on from Severns custom.

He also usually carries LesBaer which also would be a fine 1911.

You may also want to skip the nice black duty coat Valor and get the basic SS finish.   Then have Dave hardhat that black instead.

Note: I cut the safety paddle down in this pic for a more aggressive forward hightang grip.

I had to sensitize the grips safety a bit, but that was easy.
Right now I'm switching to daytime race sights and installing a 10-8 extended mag release.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Baer
DW
Colt
Kimber
STI

In that order for me.

I have always liked the Monolith (may not be the most practical) depending on niche it fills.

But I'd be equally happy with the Baer, DW, or Colt.

Not really big on Kimber or STI. (for no good reason) Just not my cup of tea.

Good luck and keep us informed.  BD
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Read it most of the guns I mentioned fall in this spec. Just waiting for the price for the Valor and to see it when it arrives and will make a final decision.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Dan Wesson
Colt
Kimber

Since you eliminated Baer and STI. I would put Baer at the top and STI above Kimber if you still included them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top