Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/19/2009 11:38:33 PM EDT
Hello gentleman. Been away from shooting for awhile, in Iraq as a contractor. Okay this is the deal, I no longer can carry HP ammo in my home State of Communist New Jersey. I will carry but need an expanding factory round in the following hanguns - .45 semi-auto short barreled 3inch and a .357 Model 66 2 1/2 inch. I know there was some discussion with Corbon powerball, but last I heard they weren't accurate. I don't want this to turn into a frenzy just advice on ammo I can buy over the counter that will expand and do what it's supposed do, without it being a hollow point.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:51:11 PM EDT
Federal EFMJ or powerball. I don't like them because they don't penetrate barriers for shit, but I guarantee they will expand.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 6:30:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:11:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I saw this in a thread over at M4Carbine.net. Assuming that you're only intending to keep them at home (Concealed carry is illegal in NJ anyway, isn't it?), hollowpoints are OK:

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition.However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase ofthis ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specifiedlocations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent aperson from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or otherland owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition fromthe place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g(2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within theconfines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from theprohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged inactivities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of theNational Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed itscharter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

it isn't "illegal" if you have a CCW permit. the trick is just getting them to actually approve the permit. I wonder if you were in fact approved for concealed carry, if JHP ammo is legal to be carried while you CC. from the above quoted law, I say no... but that is silly. Then again, i live in jersey - everything is silly.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:13:27 AM EDT
NJ has carry permits, just not for very many people.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 10:11:09 AM EDT

jersey fucking sucks.

i feel bad for you guys.

what you need is someone with a shit ton of money to carry without a license, then get caught, and then sue the ever lovin shit out of the government for not following the constitution.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:13:43 PM EDT
the new hornaday critical deffence wouldnt be considered a jhp considering the tip is filled right???
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 1:45:28 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies. I will have a PI license and retired PO carry permit. I know the law stated for people that have carry permits other than PO's can't carry HP ammo (outside their homes). Thanks will check the federal ammo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 11:26:00 PM EDT
Federal EFMJ,

It's not as reliable as a good 4th gen HP design, but It's what I would use in your case. Also no arguing about whether a filled HP is an HP or not.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:27:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kevin44mag:
the new hornaday critical deffence wouldnt be considered a jhp considering the tip is filled right???

That's a good question. Technically the bullet is a JHP, but is more like a Flex tip bullet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:40:19 PM EDT
I don't feel shy about carrying hardball.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:13:20 PM EDT
These cost a lot but I picked up a box for my .44spl , as I didn't want the common .44spl lead nose.
http://www.rbcd.net/
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:34:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:47:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Originally Posted By skulley:
These cost a lot but I picked up a box for my .44spl , as I didn't want the common .44spl lead nose.
http://www.rbcd.net/

Fail on a massive level. Please read the "Exotic Ammo FAQ" in the Ammo FAQ tacked at the top of the page.

If you want a good .44spl load, wait for loads with the new Barnes XPB/TSX which should be available soon if not already. I just talked to the Barnes people a month ago and they said that bullet was specifically tailored for the .44spl.

Why tailored for the 44spl, is that a common carry round? I can see tailored for the .45 or 9MM. Something more common.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2009 6:51:37 PM EDT by Zhukov]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:51:01 PM EDT
Federal EFMJ is the way I would go. Only rounds I own that I would feel fine using regular FMJ ammo in is .45acp and .380acp.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:19:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Nakanokalronin:
Federal EFMJ is the way I would go. Only rounds I own that I would feel fine using regular FMJ ammo in is .45acp and .380acp.

I understand the FMJ in .45 isn't getting any smaller, but why do you feel .380 FMJ is a good self defense round?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:28:02 AM EDT
It's not so much that .380 hardball is a good SD round, it's that you need as much penetration as possible with .380
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:00:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By excursion12:

I understand the FMJ in .45 isn't getting any smaller, but why do you feel .380 FMJ is a good self defense round?

because most 380 jhp's only penatrates between 6-10 inches in ballistic gel, the ones that penatrate more dont expand much at all. Alot of people feel that 6-10 inches is not enough so they use a fmj.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:48:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I don't feel shy about carrying hardball.

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:50:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By excursion12:

at the Bar a Man shot just a few feet away Davis 380 Win USA Ball ammo

He died on the spot
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:40:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AZFats:
It's not so much that .380 hardball is a good SD round, it's that you need as much penetration as possible with .380

That makes sense. Thanks

Top Top